We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

A Ford Anglia circa 1960s.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Top left to bottom right.

MGB GT, Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, Ford Mustang Convertible, Ford Anglia Super 123E.

The Anglia would be the rarest of that group. On this side of the Atlantic, anyway.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, try this group.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I've tried listening to a number of podcasts that cover COVID-19. Some of them contained entirely too much fluff for me. I've found others, like the ones from Bloomberg and NPR for instance, to be more interesting and helpful. But if you're like me and you are a bit nerdier about your pandemic podcasts, you might want to check out the one linked below, the Coronavirus Morning Report from Good News Ride Home Media. I listen to it on Google Podcasts but I'm sure it's on other platforms too. It's about 20-25 minutes long with maybe a minute of ads. And it's full of much more of the latest news, data and research than you will hear on the other podcasts. It's worth keeping in mind that some of the science you hear on there is in the preliminary stages and without a doubt will be subject to change. Some of it will turn out to be contradicted, faulty, or incorrect; that's just how these things work. But this podcast definitely contains much of the latest important info coming out about the virus and other COVID-19 related topics.

Coronavirus Morning Report

OK now I see they are saying that this will no longer be strictly a coronavirus podcast. I'm a few episodes behind so I didn't realize that. I'm posting this anyway bc there's a lot to learn in the old episodes and I imagine there will still be some news about the latest research and other interesting stuff with the new format.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:52 pm Image
OK, try this group.

I think there are a lot of European car enthusiasts in that club.

Again, top left to bottom right.

Renault 17, Austin or Rover Mini, Oldsmobile 442, Jeep Scrambler.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

ManOnTime wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:52 pm Image
OK, try this group.

I think there are a lot of European car enthusiasts in that club.

Again, top left to bottom right.

Renault 17, Austin or Rover Mini, Oldsmobile 442, Jeep Scrambler.
That Renault sure looks like this AMC Gremlin beauty. These companies where allied at one time. Must have been a hell of a marriage.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Save.jpeg
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

On 4/22 I flew out to Southern California to start a contract at a medium sized community hospital. It was billed to me as a "COVID" assignment. When I got there I found out not only that there were not very many Covid cases in the community, but that I was actually being assigned to night shift in a different hospital that is affiliated. It's a very tiny hospital a few towns over. It is licensed for less than 50 beds but usually has a much lower census than that. I've worked at a few other smallish hospitals but something this size is completely new to me. The last hospital I worked at was well over 500 beds and had 6 or 7 different ICUs. This tiny one has only 6 total ICU beds and usually they are not all filled. Often they might be occupied by lower-acuity "step-down" patients.

On my first or second night working, we just had one "rule-out" COVID pt and maybe one or two other pts. The Hospitalist stopped by and told us we were getting a pt from the ER in their early 60s that looked "covid-y". She was right, the pt tested positive. The pt started out on a high flow nasal cannula. That lasted maybe about two nights and then this pt required a BiPAP. They started out somewhat like the "happy hypoxics" that BC posted about in the sense that they didn't feel very short of breath despite very low oxygen numbers. However this pt was generally anxious and got more even more anxious as they actually did eventually start to feel short of breath. We tried proning the pt and that worked to some degree. But BiPAP, proning, and lowering the bar (with regard to oxygen levels) for intubation only bought us a couple extra nights until a ventilator was necessary. The pt was very reluctant but did agree to being intubated and placed on a ventilator.

That led to more than two weeks of this pt being on a ventilator with high pressures and high oxygen levels, usually 80-100% O2. The air you're breathing right now is 21% oxygen. We turned this patient prone every day for more than half of the day. That requires numerous staff members, especially given how obese the pt was. We had an anesthesiologist in the room for these turns to make sure we had no problems with the breathing tube. There are beds HERE made specifically for this process but this hospital doesn't have access to them. I was assigned to this pt about half of the shifts that I worked, so twice a week on average. If you would have asked me 7-10 days into this pt's hospitalization whether the pt would make it through this illness, I probably would have guessed not. It just wasn't looking good. To be clear, that doesn't in any way affect the care that is provided. But after you've done this job for a while, you do tend to get a sense of these things.

But then the pt just managed to keep going. I had a stretch of three nights off nights off and when I came back for my shift I immediately went to that pt's room......still there. Being proned every day....always requiring maximum ventilatory support. Positioning was everything for this pt's respiratory status and there were a number of scary moments we had difficulty getting decent volumes into this pt's lungs. A few times we had to get a bunch of people in the room to position the pt in a way that would allow the ventilator to deliver sufficient breaths. But we always figured things out and got the pt back to a more stable state. At about 2 to 2.5 weeks in, I was starting to think this pt had a shot.....partly bc of how long they had hung in there already. Occasionally there were small improvments. And unlike a number of my other COVID pts, this pt's kidneys continued to work. No major heart problems was encouraging as well. Also, I could tell the other staff was starting to feel a little better about this case. In the interim, they had transferred another COVID pt to the larger hospital and that pt had died. Yet our pt was still alive though and I know the staff at this very tiny hospital was proud of that. And they should have been, this was an incredibly sick pt.

Unfortunately at about 3 weeks, it became more and more difficult to ventilate this pt. The little tricks we had picked up about how to best ventilate this particular pt were no longer working. This pt had received convalescent plasma and another experimental drug thought to help with cytokine storm. The infectious disease doc had tried to get remdesivir but it was unavailable so there really weren't any more medical treatments to provide. And the other measures we were providing were becoming less effective. I had a shift in which we had a difficult time getting decent oxygen numbers despite very high ventilator pressures and 100% oxygen. I had two nights off so I wasn't privy to the conversation that took place between the family and the doctor regarding the decision to withdraw some of the more extraordinary measures. But from what I did hear, it sounds as though it had just become more clear that the pt was past the point of any recovery. My understanding was that the main family member (that I had been updating on the phone twice per shift) got to come in to the hospital and even in to the pt's room. A few other family members actually came to the outside window because the room was on the first floor. They were outside the window when the patient passed.

This was a bit of a rough one, obviously most of all for the pt and the family. But in addition to myself, I think there were a number of MDs, RNs, RTs, and other staff that were starting to think this pt had a chance of making some semblance of a recovery. And this tiny little hospital did an awesome job but it just didn't go in the right direction, which is frustrating. And that's how it goes but I just wish there was a better result, not only for the patient and family but for the staff too. What I can say is that this case definitely changed my perception of this little hospital for the better.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Thanks, Yinz, for the first-hand report. We on the sidelines really have no idea of what the hospital workers go through to try to keep patients going.

To you and the others in the field: My sincerest respect and admiration.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:58 pm Thanks, Yinz, for the first-hand report. We on the sidelines really have no idea of what the hospital workers go through to try to keep patients going.

To you and the others in the field: My sincerest respect and admiration.
This x1,000,000.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

I agree. As I've said, I love reading your insight.

My life in surgery has basically been once a week since this all started. However, things changed a bit this week and appear will ramp up more next week.
Jersey hospitals got the approval to go back to normal elective surgeries starting next week. The hospital I'm at today has about 2000 surgeries back logged so I'm guessing a 6 day surgical week will be going into place. With that 7th day being much busier than your typical Sunday.
Even some NY hospitals are getting more surgeries done and don't think it'll be long until we are back to passed normal surgical life. Not looking good for my summer plans of getting jacked and tan.

Some hospitals are also requiring us to get nasal swab tested and antibody tested. Which I understand. However one hospital wants it done every 5 days if we are antibody negative. That is so arbitrary and random to me. And really doesn't make much sense. But I don't think I'll have much of a choice so we shall see. I'm getting tested tomorrow so I'll send pics of the swab up my brain.

I was hoping I could get my girlfriend to test me at her hospital since I know she's qualified (side note, she's being placed for another promotion about a year and a half ahead of when she's supposed to be eligible for it. So she's a bad a$$). However I'm not a patient there so can't get it done.

NYC will still be pretty shut down for a while I think. Other parts on NY are opening in more rural areas and parts of NJ and CT are too.

That's what's going on here in my neck of the woods.

Stay safe everyone!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I thought this was an interesting detail from these personal accounts from seniors who survived coronavirus (pay wall).

An 89 year old New Yorker didn't want to go to the hospital when his symptoms got bad: "Instead, his oncologist worked with a pharmacy to deliver an oxygen machine to [his] home. A respiratory therapist provided by the pharmacy helped him set it up." I didn't know pharmacies did that.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

([mention]ManOnTime[/mention]: is this okay? Please forgive me if not.)

So we don't have coronavirus, afaik, but I've seen some homes with notices on them. Tonight when I googled for downloadable coronavirus quarantine poster PDFs, I was surprised I couldn't find any that were any good. So I made one, which I attached to this post in case anybody needs one.

This is how it looks:
covid-19_notice-1.png

This is a zipped up PDF download:
covid-19_notice-1.pdf.zip
Stay safe, y'all!
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

How's everyone doing out there?
Anyone in spots that are spiking up again? Second shutdown?
@watchpalooza how does America look from the outside? In regards to covid?

Insta me: bbrou33
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Bbrou33 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:40 am How's everyone doing out there?
Anyone in spots that are spiking up again? Second shutdown?
@watchpalooza how does America look from the outside? In regards to covid?

Germany has had a few spikes, but they are quick to respond and level things off. As for the U.S., I think there is just great concern and sadness for all that is going on.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr