As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Any Lego Collectors/Enthusiasts?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
cortman
MoT Member

Any Lego Collectors/Enthusiasts?

Post by cortman »

I've loved the toy since I was a kid. Having my own kids brought about a very enjoyable renaissance. Just built this display board for the collectible minifigs.

MoT
Site Admin

Re: Any Lego Collectors/Enthusiasts?

Post by MoT »

I love Lego, but I haven't bought any in a long time. I will however stop and look at all the sets whenever I'm in a retailer that sells Lego. Of course I always make my way through The Lego Store whenever I'm in Mall of America (which since I'm local is 3-4 times a year).
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

My wife and I collect the Architecture series.
I also have several of the Star Wars and Marvel sets.
We no longer have nephews young enough to buy for, so we now get the ones we enjoy.

That new Voltron they have is tempting, but way too $$ for my wallet.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Voltron-21311
Last edited by TheJohnP on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I've collected almost all the original LOTR sets and a bunch of the city sets. I really miss the days when Lego created most of their themes themselves. I'm not at all interested in Marvel or Star Wars or any of the Disney-owned pop culture franchises.
The City lineup continues to be a favorite, and occasionally there's a licensed set that I like- the Lone Ranger sets were pretty cool, and some of the Jurassic Park sets look neat.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

I remember Legos being just different sizes & colors of bricks and you had to build stuff from your imagination. Now it's all pre-made kits. I don't see the point.

Welp, gotta get back to yelling at that cloud, l8r.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:28 pm I remember Legos being just different sizes & colors of bricks and you had to build stuff from your imagination. Now it's all pre-made kits. I don't see the point.

Welp, gotta get back to yelling at that cloud, l8r.
Fortunately the large tub 'o bricks can still be bought.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I have a dragster with moving pistons, chain drive to the tranny, and a limited slip rear end. It’s at my parents’ in the attic or I’d proudly display it. I bought it at FAO Schwartz in 1983.

I love Legos.

I’ll have to show you guys my 45 lb die cast P&H mining shovel...

@robotazky
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Have you guys seen the talk in the financial world this month about Lego sets? Here is Bloomberg:
Collecting Lego -- yes, the plastic toys made of interlocking bricks that become cars and castles and robots -- returned more than large stocks, bonds and gold in the three decades ending in 2015, says a study by Victoria Dobrynskaya, an assistant professor at Russia’s Higher School of Economics. Aspects of the performance even align with returns sought by owners of smart-beta ETFs.
The Hot New Asset Class Is Lego Sets

So when someone asks if they should buy a Rolex as an investment, say no. Buy Lego sets! :D
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm Fortunately the large tub 'o bricks can still be bought.
Yay! I amble through the toy section sometimes and have only seen the kits, so I thought that was all they made now. I figured, if I want a kit that's for making a specific thing I'd rather just go with Revel or similar. In retrospect though I do remember getting damaged and partial model kits and coming up with ways to mix the parts together, so I suppose there's no reason you couldn't do the same sort of thing with different Lego kits. And after digging around online, I'd forgotten about some of their other lines like Mindstorm, Technic and Bionicle which look like they're discontinued?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:07 pm and Bionicle which look like they're discontinued?

Bionicle is gone, as far as I recall. They did use some of the same style of figure builds with a line of Star Wars characters.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Han-Solo-75535

You can find the just the bricks sets through their shop
https://shop.lego.com/en-US/category/classic
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Just got an email from LEGO (yes, I'm that guy) and they've announced an upcoming Creator set for the classic Mustang coming March 1st.
https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Ford-Mustang-10265

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Features
*Authentic replica of a 1960s Ford Mustang featuring dark-blue bodywork with white racing stripes, air scoop, 5-spoke rims with road-gripping tires, and a selection customization add-ons.
* Open the doors or remove the roof panel to access the detailed interior with handsome seats, radio, mid-console gearshift and working steering.
* Open the trunk to store items and lift the hood to reveal a detailed Ford Mustang V8 engine with battery, hoses and air filter.
* Also includes a printed mustang grille badge and 2 GT emblems.
* Customize the Ford Mustang with the included supercharger, rear ducktail spoiler, beefy exhaust pipes, front chin spoiler and a nitrous oxide tank.
* Choose from a selection of license plates.
* Lift the hood to check out the realistic engine detailing.
* Adjust the lift of the rear axle for a real mean look!
* This Mustang toy car model includes 1,470 pieces and is suitable for ages 16+.
* New-for-March-2019 special elements include 5-spoke rims, 2x8 brick with bow, 1x3 mustang logo tile, 2x4 bow with ‘GT’ Emblem.
* Measures over 3” (10cm) high, 13” (34cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:00 am Just got an email from LEGO (yes, I'm that guy) and they've announced an upcoming Creator set for the classic Mustang coming March 1st.
https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Ford-Mustang-10265

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Features
*Authentic replica of a 1960s Ford Mustang featuring dark-blue bodywork with white racing stripes, air scoop, 5-spoke rims with road-gripping tires, and a selection customization add-ons.
* Open the doors or remove the roof panel to access the detailed interior with handsome seats, radio, mid-console gearshift and working steering.
* Open the trunk to store items and lift the hood to reveal a detailed Ford Mustang V8 engine with battery, hoses and air filter.
* Also includes a printed mustang grille badge and 2 GT emblems.
* Customize the Ford Mustang with the included supercharger, rear ducktail spoiler, beefy exhaust pipes, front chin spoiler and a nitrous oxide tank.
* Choose from a selection of license plates.
* Lift the hood to check out the realistic engine detailing.
* Adjust the lift of the rear axle for a real mean look!
* This Mustang toy car model includes 1,470 pieces and is suitable for ages 16+.
* New-for-March-2019 special elements include 5-spoke rims, 2x8 brick with bow, 1x3 mustang logo tile, 2x4 bow with ‘GT’ Emblem.
* Measures over 3” (10cm) high, 13” (34cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
I haven't assembled anything LEGO since I was young. But I would strongly consider buying this. These are one of my dream cars and this would be so cool to have I think
Insta me: bbrou33
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

When I was a kid all I did was build things out of Lego. I still have all my pieces. I was actually thinking about building a watch winder using all my technic parts and motors.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 am When I was a kid all I did was build things out of Lego. I still have all my pieces. I was actually thinking about building a watch winder using all my technic parts and motors.

Found this one one YouTube
Click Icon To Contact Me

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I read today that Lego has started selling through Kohl's -- a good use for Kohl's cash.