As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

What is your New Year's Resolution? What do you plan on doing with your collection?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

What is your New Year's Resolution? What do you plan on doing with your collection?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Thought I'd start this thread for the new year. What are everyone's goals for this year?

Personally, I am planning a complete career change this year. In terms of watches, I plan on thinning my collection and not giving in to impulse purchases. In 2018 I bought a TON of watches. I like them all but can't help but feel I was buying the deal, not the watch.

For 2019 I am going to try my best to only buy 3 watches.
- The Zelos GMT in May
- Save for either an Omega Seamaster, or any Tudor (or another higher end brand)
- One "wild card" watch for any deal I come across that I can't refuse
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
CVP33
MoT Member

Re: What is your New Year's Resolution? What do you plan on doing with your collection?

Post by CVP33 »

I'm going to sell 150 out of my 309 watches. No joke.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Re: What is your New Year's Resolution? What do you plan on doing with your collection?

Post by Robotaz »

CVP33 wrote:I'm going to sell 150 out of my 309 watches. No joke.
I can’t even imagine all of the boxing and shipping. I’m getting sick of it. I sit on watches for too long now, as it is.
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

I'm going to try to get awesome deals on about 150 watches.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

squincher wrote:I'm going to try to get awesome deals on about 150 watches.
I know the perfect person. Maybe we can start a store? ;)
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

I'm putting a freeze on purchases of new watches in 2019 unless they fill a niche for me, or offer something significantly different/better. I've got a Mondaine and a Citizen on the way for my birthday, and a Bertucci incoming to fill the field watch slot, and once that arrives I'm pretty much done. Divers, fliegers, chronographs, GMT/worldtimers...I've got what I want. I've got Swiss. I've got Japanese. I've got Russian. Automatic, handwind, quartz, solar...check. The one thing I don't have is a formal dress watch, but I haven't worn a tie in years, so I'm not feeling a need for one.

Besides, this'll free up a lot of play money to buy straps. :-)

Sent by shortwave radio via Tapatalk Heathkit Edition

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I don't like to make resolutions, but I'll play along.

I would like to save up and buy something really nice, around $1k. That may not seem like much to a lot of you, but that's about 5x more than the most I've ever paid for a watch.

As for something personal, I lost just about 200lbs between November 2014 and November 2015 but I've put roughly half of that back on since then. I'm getting back on the wagon and plan on losing at least 150lbs by January 1st 2020.
AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:23 pm
I know the perfect person. Maybe we can start a store? ;)
In for 10% of the cut. :D
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

ManOnTime wrote:I'm getting back on the wagon and plan on losing at least 150lbs by January 1st 2020.
Good luck, man. Being a forum admin isn’t going to help.

Have you considered an under-desk elliptical? I have one at work. Some days it says I’ve burned 1000 cal.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 pm
ManOnTime wrote:I'm getting back on the wagon and plan on losing at least 150lbs by January 1st 2020.

Have you considered an under-desk elliptical? I have one at work. Some days it says I’ve burned 1000 cal.
That's not a bad idea at all. Time to go bargain hunting. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

ManOnTime wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 pm

That's not a bad idea at all. Time to go bargain hunting. :lol:
I got this one on sale for around $100.

https://amzn.to/2scWOpv
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

larand wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:43 pm I'm putting a freeze on purchases of new watches in 2019 unless they fill a niche for me, or offer something significantly different/better.
^ This is exactly the same for me. Well said.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
dr.windsurf

Post by dr.windsurf »

@ManonTime
Maybe add a “for sale” thread and suggest a donation of x% to support the site?
Not sure if you can do that with your ISP.
Just a thought

I am planning to do my first Invicta mod this year
And a sweet Seiko mod (already bought the dial)
Otherwise, I want to get in on one of the killer deals I have seen this past year - like the Hokusai Wave dial...I am just too indecisive and then the deal is gone :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I am going to continue to explore and collect. I'm still pretty new so I am hungry and curious. :lol:
My main goal is to avoid impulse purchasing and amassing a large quantity of watches just because they were bargains. I love shopping and I love a bargain so it will be a good self-discipline exercise.
I plan to buy four watches this year, hopefully keep it at that. Thus I'll have to plan out my purchases a bit which should help on the aforementioned impulse buying. Off the top of my head I'd love to get a chunky bronze diver, a panda/evil panda chronograph (quartz, no automatics for this poor boy), a semi-dress watch like a SARB, and possibly a flieger? We'll see!
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

Watch goals for 2019.....Tough one. I can't imagine myself like some of you with 100+ watches in your collection or for that matter, over 50. I usually have 5-10. If I have too many and some sit, regardless of what they are I'll end up selling them. I love my Samurai but since I've had a couple of other pieces come in, I'm over it so it's going this year.
At the end of 2018 as a present for myself for a hard year of work and a nice year end bonus, I bought one of my low-mid tier grail purchases of a Longines Conquest Automatic.
Gonna sell a couple more, Alpina Startimer and a Hamilton Jazzmaster as well.

I did just purchase this year my first Seiko Host specifically to mod, I'm going to do a Fifty-five Fathoms mod that I've been wanting to do for years.

Other plans in 2019-Hoping my Zodiac Jetomatic gets repaired and I still like it or I get a Refund.
I really want another Flieger watch so I might go for Laco Type A again or see if something else comes along.

@watch_your_wristwatch

WhichWatch?
MoT Member

Post by WhichWatch? »

Watch goals in 2019 - Diversify my collection. Possibly trade one of my current watches for a panda-dial chrono and save a bit towards my grail (Breitling Heritage SuperOcean II).