We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Airports, TSA and Watches -- what do you wear at the airport?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Airports, TSA and Watches -- what do you wear at the airport?

Post by BostonCharlie »

I don't fly often. Last time I deliberately wore a plastic digital watch so I wouldn't have to take it off for screening. This guy says:
... you can wear your watch through airport security. Just keep it on your wrist, especially if you’re afraid that it might get scratched or stolen if you put it in a tray. If you want to get through security as fast as possible, take your watch off your wrist and put it in the pocket of your jacket or carry-on bag.
He advises specifically against putting a naked watch in a tray or bowl since it could get tipped out or stolen.

Any other advice for traveling with a nice metal watch?
borgil
MoT Member

Re: Airports, TSA and Watches -- what do you wear at the airport?

Post by borgil »

I usually do the same as that guy, I make sure to always have a pocket with nothing in it that could damage a watch whether in my jacket or my bag.
I then remove it while in the line and put it in that pocket (I do the same with my phone in another pocket).

But I think you can actually keep the watch on if you go through a millimeter wave scanner instead of metal detector (this is the case at most large US airports for people who do not have TSA-pre).
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

I fly often (TSA Pre-Check) and wear whatever watch I choose. I have a handkerchief in my carry-on that I use to wrap the watch head, particularly between the case and bracelet ans stow it in in the bag. No problem. I'd never put my PO in one of those crappy trays, for example.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I always throw mine into one of my shoes. Last time the agent told me I could keep it on my wrist, so obviously I did! I usually travel with something more affordable on my wrist, and then several more affordables in a travel case. Anything nicer than an NTH or kocktail time stay at home.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Typically they do not require removal of jewelry. If I do have to remove it, I do like [mention]borgil[/mention] and stash it in the zippered pocket of my jacket before putting it through the scanner. I do also prefer air travel with modern watches over vintage because there are so many magnetic fields and also for reasons of durability...this may be overly cautious, but something I consider when choosing my watches.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I usually wear it with no problems, though I have precheck. Otherwise I'll put it in the little padded pocket of my travel bag/backpack.

Related: I never use the trays for anything. Wallet, etc. also goes in the bag. You'll never forget it or have it stolen.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I keep it on the wrist unless they ask me to remove it, seldom happens. One time, after going through the scanner with my Invicta behemoth, bells ringing, TSA agent asked me to remove it, took it back for a close up lengthy scan.

Must have been marvelling at it and trying to make sense of all the gears, spring, rotor inside.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

PetWatch wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:48 pm I keep it on the wrist unless they ask me to remove it, seldom happens. One time, after going through the scanner with my Invicta behemoth, bells ringing, TSA agent asked me to remove it, took it back for a close up lengthy scan.

Must have been marvelling at it and trying to make sense of all the gears, spring, rotor inside.

-----------

Or was stunned into insensibility.
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

Usually I bring a waistpack/fanny pack so I just put my wallet,phone and watch into it before I go through security checks,some airport do ask me to remove my ipad from my bag,some don’t but most ask me to remove my watch...
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

A banana hammock and a grin.

Though it's somewhat moot, since I'm not allowed in airports anymore for some reason.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

I've flown pretty often and I think only once that I can remember this year an agent asked me to remove my watch. I tend to travel with my carry on backpack and just threw it in an empty pocket in there since there are about a million pockets in this bag.
Insta me: bbrou33
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

You'll be fine, just don't wear one of those oversized Invictas the size of a pipe bomb strapped to your wrist.

Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

I fly US domestic with TSA Pre-Check about once a month and never take off my watch. I don't recall taking it off in the dark days before Pre-Check either. I've had wildly varying experiences in other countries and just prepare myself to remove all jewelry and empty my carry-on of electronics.