We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

ManOnTime wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:07 pm I love this forum. I am here 90% compared to 10% at WUS now.
Thank you.

Also, me too! [emoji38]
I'm here 100% of the time (Because I have no choice) :D

But I like it here anyway. Like they say, your drink is only as good as the company around you
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:28 pm
ManOnTime wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:07 pm I love this forum. I am here 90% compared to 10% at WUS now.
Thank you.

Also, me too! [emoji38]
I'm here 100% of the time (Because I have no choice) :D

But I like it here anyway. Like they say, your drink is only as good as the company around you
If I'm going to be totally honest, 99% of my time is here. The other 1% is briefly browsing my subscribed topics on WUS. Mostly ones that feed my odd Timex obsession, my love for vintages or both.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:47 pm
TheJohnP wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 pm Just wanted to point out that the WUS sanctioned deal thread was officially revived on 12/22 and currently has 182 posts.

MoT started the 2019 only focused thread on 1/1 and it has already surpassed 250 posts.

Job well done everyone!
If you add in the posts in the 2018 HUISABH starting in 12/22, then that number is over 1250 compared to 182 :D
They wanted a more manageable deals thread.
Careful what you wish for...
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 am
BostonCharlie wrote: This should be in a "ways for MOT to pay for bandwidth" thread, but I didn't find one offhand, and this seems like a reasonable fit.

I recall seeing Spinnaker discount codes that appeared tailored to specific affiliates. My take was that an affiliate would push his code and earn some referral fees via buyers who used the code. Maybe something like that could be worked out between MOT and other sellers. And how cool to have a MANONTIME discount code? That's my kind of promotion.

I thought of this after seeing user deskdiver blocked for shilling. These guys want in, so offer them a path: give MOT an affiliate discount code and then put it in the code database -- maybe with a special call-out for helping support MOT.
Thanks BC. I'm really grateful for all of the support everyone has shown.

A member has generously donated web hosting, so this site should be good in that regard for the foreseeable future.

However, there are other costs, and of course time, associated with operating something like this. I am hesitant to ask for the users to contribute, especially since at the current time I am able to bear the costs. That being said, I would be open to adding a PayPal donation button, but only with the strict knowledge that it is completely voluntary and I do not expect members to use it.

I like the idea of being able to provide discount codes to members. Hopefully it's something I'll be able to provide in the future, especially if this site grows and the name gets out there.

I think for now the best way to pass along this site is to talk about it with your friends, and post about it on other sites (of they permit that kind of thing) you are a member of, and to post links on social networks you utilize.

I nice gesture from MOT members would to be to donate a small portion of what you saved on your purchase that you found out here on the HUISABH thread.

Just a thought!
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

tjcdas wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:42 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 am
BostonCharlie wrote: This should be in a "ways for MOT to pay for bandwidth" thread, but I didn't find one offhand, and this seems like a reasonable fit.

I recall seeing Spinnaker discount codes that appeared tailored to specific affiliates. My take was that an affiliate would push his code and earn some referral fees via buyers who used the code. Maybe something like that could be worked out between MOT and other sellers. And how cool to have a MANONTIME discount code? That's my kind of promotion.

I thought of this after seeing user deskdiver blocked for shilling. These guys want in, so offer them a path: give MOT an affiliate discount code and then put it in the code database -- maybe with a special call-out for helping support MOT.
You could do this with an affiliate link. Just saying.
Thanks BC. I'm really grateful for all of the support everyone has shown.

A member has generously donated web hosting, so this site should be good in that regard for the foreseeable future.

However, there are other costs, and of course time, associated with operating something like this. I am hesitant to ask for the users to contribute, especially since at the current time I am able to bear the costs. That being said, I would be open to adding a PayPal donation button, but only with the strict knowledge that it is completely voluntary and I do not expect members to use it.

I like the idea of being able to provide discount codes to members. Hopefully it's something I'll be able to provide in the future, especially if this site grows and the name gets out there.

I think for now the best way to pass along this site is to talk about it with your friends, and post about it on other sites (of they permit that kind of thing) you are a member of, and to post links on social networks you utilize.

I nice gesture from MOT members would to be to donate a small portion of what you saved on your purchase that you found out here on the HUISABH thread.

Just a thought!
You could do this with an affiliate link. Just saying.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I didn't start this site to make money. I just wanted a place we could continue to share deals in the manner we've become accustomed.

I've activated VigLink. If it becomes intrusive or annoying, I'll shut it off. I have considered adding a PayPal Donate button as well, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with asking for donations.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:34 pm I didn't start this site to make money. I just wanted a place we could continue to share deals in the manner we've become accustomed.

I've activated VigLink. If it becomes intrusive or annoying, I'll shut it off. I have considered adding a PayPal Donate button as well, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with asking for donations.
VigLink?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:41 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:34 pm I didn't start this site to make money. I just wanted a place we could continue to share deals in the manner we've become accustomed.

VigLink?
Once approved, it will automatically creates affiliate links from keywords in posts. I don't necessarily like the idea of monetizing for the sake of monetizing, so as I said, if I think it's intrusive or annoying, I'm going to dump it.

The experience for the community is much more important than the few nickels it may generate.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I am down for Patreon or PayPal donation. This forum serves a purpose that I will gladly pay. I am not worried about you making money, I just think that on person bearing the financial burden of the forum for the community is not fair. If I can pitch in a couple of bucks a month to ‘keep the lights on’, then I would be happy to do so.

I would also use a MOT amazon affiliate bookmark for my Amazon purchased, which I think would be a non invasive way to show support. If I am already giving Amazon money, why not get them to pay for my favorite forum?

If the site somehow generated a sizable amount of revenue, then you could always just purchase some of the better deals that pop up and then do a giveaway for those that pitch in. That would be too cool, but more of a fantasy than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

You can PM people on other forums through Tapatalk if they have an account. You click on their name, click on Message, and you’ll possibly have two ways to message: Tapatalk or the forum. Just use Tapatalk.
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

I like the idea of affiliate links or discount codes because it costs the buyer nothing and more to the point, there's no implicit guilt associated as with a tip jar. Costs are shifted to resellers, where it belongs IMO since sites like this are funnels for sales and they ought know it!

Now consider the other way, Patreon. If you notice how some YouTubers use this, it can become a club you pay into for treats. This seems like a good way to build a brand and one corner of a community. Yes it becomes more "business-y" but in a better way than merely cashing checks from users.

I've never understood VigLink because I never click on those links. They aren't intrusive so much as irrelevant, in my experience.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

deckeda wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 pm Now consider the other way, Patreon. If you notice how some YouTubers use this, it can become a club you pay into for treats.
Patreon has come up a few times, and I've given it some thought. My hesitation lies in the fact that I don't know what kind of "treats" would be enough incentive for someone to want to subscribe.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

ManOnTime wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 pm
deckeda wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 pm Now consider the other way, Patreon. If you notice how some YouTubers use this, it can become a club you pay into for treats.
Patreon has come up a few times, and I've given it some thought. My hesitation lies in the fact that I don't know what kind of "treats" would be enough incentive for someone to want to subscribe.
My first thought is buying and selling privileges. After all, as it stands sellers are basically getting free real estate. It makes sense that they should pay for the privilege of putting watches up for sale here. Same with buyers: they get more options, so they should pay for the privilege of shopping here. On the other hand, maybe constrain it to just selling privileges to provide sellers with a larger market. In that case maybe it would make sense for MoT to take a cut out of sales?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
I am not sure if the forum software can do customized titles, but a contributor title or something might be nice.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:33 pm
ManOnTime wrote:
I am not sure if the forum software can do customized titles, but a contributor title or something might be nice.

It can and it would be easy enough to set up so that only subscribers could change titles.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT