Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Well I'm done with wus I think. I asked a simple and realistic question regarding their lame excuse for closing the thread. And then they removed my comment.

At this point they're just being assholes, pardon my language.

Also the "don't make us regret allowing bargain threads"... Like really dude? These mods sound so snarky

Edit 2: Admin PM'd me this:

"Yes there are older threads and longer threads but for some reason the bargains thread in F71 generates 10X the Mod Reports of all other threads combined. My goal is to make the Moderators jobs easier.

I hope that answers your question.

Have a good weekend,

Brad"

So they are not THAT bad when you PM them, but their general comments come off in very rude tones. Still though, it's a lame excuse
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

Heavy-handed moderation never ends well. One gets the feeling that someone got an order to allow the thread, but they're not happy about it.

Sent by shortwave radio via Tapatalk Heathkit Edition

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

beefyt wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:10 pm Just here for the drama!
Haha! It seems most of the drama is back over there. But if your looking for deals you're in the right spot.
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

larand wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:47 pm Heavy-handed moderation never ends well. One gets the feeling that someone got an order to allow the thread, but they're not happy about it.

Yeah, there’s definitely a penis measuring attitude.
4F436A16-BD7D-43B3-99DE-F6FBAFD1830C.png
DiscoEstScio
MoT Member

Post by DiscoEstScio »

ManOnTime wrote:
ticktockhack wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:57 amTo MOT's credit, I am sure there will be huge hosting fees here unless he goes with an ad supported model as forums necessarily take allot of bandwidth as people tend to scroll and look at all pages of forum threads over time.
I am going to do whatever I can to prevent the intrusion of ads in to the user experience. I can bear the hosting costs as they are now, and for the foreseeable future, but I am not naive enough to think they couldn't quickly get overwhelming.
MOT,

Keeping this forum ad free is really amazing. For me, I much prefer referral links over pesky ads ;)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

beefyt
MoT Member

Post by beefyt »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:33 pm

"Yes there are older threads and longer threads but for some reason the bargains thread in F71 generates 10X the Mod Reports of all other threads combined. My goal is to make the Moderators jobs easier.
for ****'s sake. Had they just allowed the thread to run it's course, they'd get very few complaints. When they moan once a week, they beg for Mod reports. If there was ever a self-fulfilling prophecy ...
WatchGeek

Post by WatchGeek »

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Added to my signature on WuS:

“https ://www.manontime.com/index.php
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:31 am
ticktockhack wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:57 amTo MOT's credit, I am sure there will be huge hosting fees here unless he goes with an ad supported model as forums necessarily take allot of bandwidth as people tend to scroll and look at all pages of forum threads over time.
I am going to do whatever I can to prevent the intrusion of ads in to the user experience. I can bear the hosting costs as they are now, and for the foreseeable future, but I am not naive enough to think they couldn't quickly get overwhelming.
If you add a voluntary “donate” link, you may be surprised how many are willing to contribute.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

FTE wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:58 am Added to my signature on WuS:

“https ://www.manontime.com/index.php
This place is locum non grata over there. You'll find it's blocked by their censor filter.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ManOnTime wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:15 am This place is locum non grata over there. You'll find it's blocked by their censor filter.
Yeah, they actually deleted it without notification, My new signature shows though:

“Google man + on + time for watch deals.”
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Not sure how much more promotion is needed when you compare all the deals found here vs the newly opened and sanctioned deal thread on WUS.

That thread looks like a JC Penny on a Tuesday afternoon...sad and empty.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

TheJohnP wrote:Not sure how much more promotion is needed when you compare all the deals found here vs the newly opened and sanctioned deal thread on WUS.

That thread looks like a JC Penny on a Tuesday afternoon...sad and empty.
It reminds me of when I was a teenager, and the city opened an officially sanctioned teen center. Of course, none of the cool kids would have been caught dead there. Way too much supervision.

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

USMChawk wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:37 pm
larand wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:47 pm Heavy-handed moderation never ends well. One gets the feeling that someone got an order to allow the thread, but they're not happy about it.

Yeah, there’s definitely a penis measuring attitude.
4F436A16-BD7D-43B3-99DE-F6FBAFD1830C.png
I always wonder if moderators realized that kind of language is condescending? It sounds like something someone would say to eight year olds, not other adults.

Plus, this kind of rhetoric perpetuates an us-versus-them mentality, which seems counterproductive to effective community management.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I feel bad for those unaware people posting and liking the mod's comments on the wus thread. Those poor souls, they just don't know any better :(

Also lol when mods are still removing links in it, and that guy didn't even post an affiliate on purpose
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole