As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
Bolster wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:39 pm I wonder what licensing fee it would take to use the boy from Family Circus (Mot's avatar) on the dial?

Good question. I'm not sure if I want to know the answer. :lol:

Here is the full comic I pulled that from:

[img][/img]
Since I have a couple of ideas for a watch, I am going to start up a new thread for the HUISABH fantasy watch ideas.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Was riding the ubahn while reading updates on the site and was asked by a neighbor which site I was reading...opened a very nice watch WiS discussion and quite possibly a new joiner in search of a deal on a Speedy.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

FTE wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 pm Was riding the ubahn while reading updates on the site and was asked by a neighbor which site I was reading...opened a very nice watch WiS discussion and quite possibly a new joiner in search of a deal on a Speedy.
Look for a raise in your next pay packet. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Suggestion to everyone: include the make and model#/model name with watch photo postings. I'm not sure it will help much, but otherwise, there is no way Google can ever pick up your photos for image searching if you don't identify it. Nor can someone search the individual forum thread for that model either.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 pm Suggestion to everyone: include the make and model#/model name with watch photo postings. I'm not sure it will help much, but otherwise, there is no way Google can ever pick up your photos for image searching if you don't identify it. Nor can someone search the individual forum thread for that model either.
👍 Agree with this. I also think it's a good idea to include the reference number when you post a deal. Not only does it become more searchable by Google users, but it allows you to go back and search previous deals on this site to check prices and other details.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:55 pm
cel4145 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 pm Suggestion to everyone: include the make and model#/model name with watch photo postings. I'm not sure it will help much, but otherwise, there is no way Google can ever pick up your photos for image searching if you don't identify it. Nor can someone search the individual forum thread for that model either.
👍 Agree with this. I also think it's a good idea to include the reference number when you post a deal. Not only does it become more searchable by Google users, but it allows you to go back and search previous deals on this site to check prices and other details.
I agree.

Except the deals thread is not public, so not Google searchable. I wonder if it's worth the tradeoff to have it private? The assumption seems to be that will stop Ebay deal monger types who are only in it to buy up deals and resell. But I'm not even sure if that's true. Are there software spiders they can use to check the thread if it's public? My guess is they manually check the thread, so having it private is little impediment other than initially having to register. On the other hand, as I said, Google can't see that thread. And site visitors who are casually interested in the site can't check it out, and its one of the main draws for this forum that might persuade them to come back.

Anyway, just food for thought. My assumptions might be wrong.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:51 pm
I agree.

Except the deals thread is not public, so not Google searchable. I wonder if it's worth the tradeoff to have it private? The assumption seems to be that will stop Ebay deal monger types who are only in it to buy up deals and resell. But I'm not even sure if that's true. Are there software spiders they can use to check the thread if it's public? My guess is they manually check the thread, so having it private is little impediment other than initially having to register. On the other hand, as I said, Google can't see that thread. And site visitors who are casually interested in the site can't check it out, and its one of the main draws for this forum that might persuade them to come back.

Good point. I forgot about the deals thread not being public. I'm actually completely in favor of the decision to make it available to members only. I would actually take it a step further if I were king. I would require users to post once every 6 months at a minimum in order to maintain their membership. As of this moment, the forum has 728 members. More than half of those 728 members have never made one post in this forum. I don't think you should have to post deals in order to take advantage of deals, but I do think users should participate in or contribute to the community in some way, shape, or form in order to benefit from the deals thread. I realize that now may not be the time to institute a participation requirement. But this forum will continue to grow (as the old thread did) and as it does, I'd rather see more users participating rather than less (which is the way the numbers are trending). I'm more interested in a great community than I am in a large one. Also, I don't necessarily think all of the non-contributors waiting to pounce on a good deal are resellers. In fact, I'd guess many of them are real watch geeks and are taking advantage of the thread to buy for themselves but would just rather not engage or contribute for whatever reason.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:51 pm
I agree.

Search engine bots actually have their own group classification. I can easily make it so they can crawl the entire site.
yinzburgher wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 pm Good point. I forgot about the deals thread not being public. I'm actually completely in favor of the decision to make it available to members only. I would actually take it a step further if I were king. I would require users to post once every 6 months at a minimum in order to maintain their membership. As of this moment, the forum has 728 members. More than half of those 728 members have never made one post in this forum. I don't think you should have to post deals in order to take advantage of deals, but I do think users should participate in or contribute to the community in some way, shape, or form in order to benefit from the deals thread. I realize that now may not be the time to institute a participation requirement. But this forum will continue to grow (as the old thread did) and as it does, I'd rather see more users participating rather than less (which is the way the numbers are trending). I'm more interested in a great community than I am in a large one. Also, I don't necessarily think all of the non-contributors waiting to pounce on a good deal are resellers. In fact, I'd guess many of them are real watch geeks and are taking advantage of the thread to buy for themselves but would just rather not engage or contribute for whatever reason.
I've thought about instituting a minimum post requirement, but haven't because it brings up other issues like post flooding just to make the minimum.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

"In fact, I'd guess many of them are real watch geeks and are taking advantage of the thread to buy for themselves but would just rather not engage or contribute for whatever reason"

I know that's what got me started. I fully just took advantage of the deals for probably a year before posting any deals myself. Being a watch noob, I didn't feel I necessarily had anything of value to contribute. I am fine either way, but slightly partial to having to be a member to view the thread. Just my two cents.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I think the best way to promote this site is to make it the most comprehensive Deals forum on the web, which it already is, but with more varied and thorough content that covers all deal related matter. It's on the way. The rest will take care of itself as the site grows. It is not that improbable that the deals thread on the other site may again grow one day. All it takes is one or two deal getters to get it going again, they have the numbers on their side.

I went to WUS several times over the years researching watches, but it was not until I discovered the deals thread that I stayed long enough to wander about for the long run.

In regards to the Deals forum registration, I see no benefit to be gained by requiring and restricting membership in any way, except as a shortsighted way, in my opinion, to entice membership in order increase the number of heads and whatever benefit that may provide the forum. It should be noted that it may also discourage some casual newcomers from exploring the site, staying and eventually registering, particularly if they come here following a deals link only to find an obstacle in the way. Registration is also a minor obstacle that will not hinder any enthusiast or flipper from taking advantage of deals without contributing, or posting an occasional bogus deal if required to, as has been noted.

Less obstacles and greater enticements are the fastest way to acquire market share. I recognize there are different approaches, this is my take on it.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

PetWatch wrote:I think the best way to promote this site is to make it the most comprehensive Deals forum on the web, which it already is, but with more varied and thorough content that covers all deal related matter. It's on the way. The rest will take care of itself as the site grows. It is not that improbable that the deals thread on the other site may again grow one day. All it takes is one or two deal getters to get it going again, they have the numbers on their side.

I went to WUS several times over the years researching watches, but it was not until I discovered the deals thread that I stayed long enough to wander about for the long run.

In regards to the Deals forum registration, I see no benefit to be gained by requiring and restricting membership in any way, except as a shortsighted way, in my opinion, to entice membership in order increase the number of heads and whatever benefit that may provide the forum. It should be noted that it may also discourage some casual newcomers from exploring the site, staying and eventually registering, particularly if they come here following a deals link only to find an obstacle in the way. Registration is also a minor obstacle that will not hinder any enthusiast or flipper from taking advantage of deals without contributing, or posting an occasional bogus deal if required to, as has been noted.

Less obstacles and greater enticements are the fastest way to acquire market share. I recognize there are different approaches, this is my take on it.
This has kinda changed my perspective on the whole thing. While I get that we want the deals posted to go to the loyal followers and community members, this may also alienate future members.

Maybe we go back to the format of the "hidden" deals for those fire deals of limited quantity and leave the rest open for the masses. I do like keeping the $318 SARBS in short supply for the dedicated, but am not opposed to opening up the thread to the masses.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

This is all dependent on the functionality of the site, but is it possible to "unlock" past deals and keep current open to members only?

Could new visitors see Jan and Feb deals, but if they want to see what is available now in March, then they need to sign up?

Don't want to make more work for MoT, or have a new deal thread started every month, just thinking it could be a good middle ground.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Its great to have a community that cares enough to make these suggestions. I have to ask though, is there actually a problem here to solve? I am not sure the membership requirement is keeping anyone away or hurting SEO right now.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

FTE wrote:Its great to have a community that cares enough to make these suggestions. I have to ask though, is there actually a problem here to solve? I am not sure the membership requirement is keeping anyone away or hurting SEO right now.
People want more people so that they see more deals. That’s my theory.

@robotazky
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Dub Rubb wrote:
PetWatch wrote:I think the best way to promote this site is to make it the most comprehensive Deals forum on the web, which it already is, but with more varied and thorough content that covers all deal related matter. It's on the way. The rest will take care of itself as the site grows. It is not that improbable that the deals thread on the other site may again grow one day. All it takes is one or two deal getters to get it going again, they have the numbers on their side.

This has kinda changed my perspective on the whole thing. While I get that we want the deals posted to go to the loyal followers and community members, this may also alienate future members.

Maybe we go back to the format of the "hidden" deals for those fire deals of limited quantity and leave the rest open for the masses. I do like keeping the $318 SARBS in short supply for the dedicated, but am not opposed to opening up the thread to the masses.

I guess a system could be implemented that credits site contributors, not just deal posters, that allows them to earn the privilege to view special pre general release deals either through hidden content or in a deals sub thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk