We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Bonehead maneuvers

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Bonehead maneuvers

Post by watchpalooza »

Dedicating this thread to venting about stoopid **** that people who should know better...nevertheless do.

To start things off, I begin with my wife. I love her dearly, but oh my God sometimes I am just baffled. The first was a decision she made without consulting me to replace the roof of our house in Cali. She went with a company who quoted x2 what 3 others quoted, and scheduled to have the work done in November. Anyone who knows Norcal weather will tell you it rains from Oct to Feb. So now we have internal water damage, and still wait to have the work done...despite being out $17k (first half of total that she paid up front). We manage on a tight budget, since we had not planned for it.

Ok, I had accepted the above when I found out a couple months ago. Had I been consulted, it would have been my choice to tarp the toof for a few hundred through winter, shop around the work, and schedule for Spring...but ok.

Today I find out that the reason our taxes were unexpectedly high last year is that my wife double-counted rental income on a property we own, showing +40K income with zero withholding. Uggg. Essentially I paid an extra $18K in income taxes on money that did not exist...then made a world-class decision to pay another $30K for a roof replacement during the rainy season.

Thank god she has a great ass.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
deckeda
MoT Member

Re: Bonehead maneuvers

Post by deckeda »

Well, you're living in a different plane than I for sure. But I did send a cheap watch band tool into my thumb trying to push out a bracelet pin, instead of waiting until we got home to use the proper tool. I've done far dumber things but that's what I've got for now.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I almost tore a case apart before it finally dawned on me that the watch was a front loader.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

deckeda wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:44 pm Well, you're living in a different plane than I for sure. But I did send a cheap watch band tool into my thumb trying to push out a bracelet pin, instead of waiting until we got home to use the proper tool. I've done far dumber things but that's what I've got for now.
I do this nearly once per month...lol.
TheJohnP wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:58 pm I almost tore a case apart before it finally dawned on me that the watch was a front loader.
Yep, done that too...now lots of scratches on the back of a vintage Mido with monocoque case that I own...
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »