We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Complaint of the Day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Edremit
MoT Member

Re: Complaint of the Day

Post by Edremit »

I have a OnePlus 6t, which I love even though this is the first model where they omitted a headphone jack. They are announcing the OnePlus 7 Pro today, and I'm hoping (almost certainly in vain), that they'll bring it back.

That said, I'm probably going to get wireless earbuds soon.
yinzburgher wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:45 am I've had a budget motorola phone for a few years. I'm a sucker for a good value and in that respect they are great but I've decided I'm ready for an upgrade. I knew I wanted stock Android, something not gargantuan, and a top of the line camera so I settled on the Google Pixel 3. 95% sure of if so I just look up a couple more things and watch another review and come to find out it has no headphone jack. Aaahhh forget it! I'll just keep the Moto. 😒
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't realize the Pixel 3a has the same camera. That could be a possibility. Apparently the speculation is that the Pixel 4 will bring back the headphone jack. I'm tempted to wait to see if they make it smaller too, rather than get a 3a which is even bigger. I would love to give my money to Motorola again but they keep making giant tablet-phones (they all do really) and their cameras just aren't as good as Google, Apple, or Samsung.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

My complaint of the day: Amazon spamming me with cheap Chinese wooden watches because I bought a Seiko and an Orient from them last year.

Really, Amazon?

Sent from my desk using a #2 pencil

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

When you are going to sell a watch and have to replace a watch strap only to realize that of your box full of extra straps, the one size you need is the one size you don't have. Blergh.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Weather freaking whiplash. 75 Yesterday. 104 tomorrow. WTF. Make up your mind.

;)
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

The fact that tapatalk decided to switch the placement of the quote and thanks buttons is driving me nuts. That and if I like something, they want me to give this kin stuff. Too much. Might be going with the mobile browser soon.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

This one's a multi-parter...

1) The package of straps that [mention]Froskemann[/mention] sent to review for our members was intercepted and held by German Zollamt in Garching (inconveniently ~1 hour north of Munich).

2) Today was the only day I could go to pick it up, so I planned to take the train to Garching. Of course there is a strike by the transit workers today, and trains are not running (Read about it here). This meant I had to ride my bike to get the package. Okay, no problem...at least it’s exercise!

3) Got on my bike this morning and rode about 3 blocks while in mid-pedal, the left pedal fell off! The bikers behind me swerved to avoid it, and I was fortunate to find the hes bolt nearby. A stranger nearby saw the event and offered to run up to his flat and get a wrench to repair it...and did so.
CF39BF8D-08F9-4E23-8B26-C22DF85177B2.jpeg

4) At the Zollamt I got to an officer after about a 30 min wait. I explained that this was a product sample for review and not a purchase. I offered to show them the correspondence with the manufacturer, which they had me do. Even after reading the clear offer of a sample for review, they said my only options were to pay import tax on the value or refuse the package. When I asked if I could pay the tax now and have it refunded later after I send the items back, they laughed and said that there is a process for that through another office...but not an easy one and kind of a crapshoot.

5) They refused to go by the declared value of the package ($35) and instead insisted that I show them the retail value of the straps by pulling up the sender’s website. Perhaps it was the bike ride or the three espressos this morning, but I quickly did a google search on Aliexpress nato straps and found one listing them for $0.50 to $1.00. When I showed the officer, she took the higher amount ($1.00). BUT, because this still put the total under EUR 20 (8 straps x $1), I was not liable to pay any tax!

6) When I got outside, I found someone had knocked my bike and broken the legally required bell for alerting pedestrians when passing:
F9C387B1-119D-44FB-8B4D-C9F6654BED67.jpeg

So...my complaint is a day filled with bureaucratic nonsense wasting my time and multiple unreliable means of transport. On the bright side: I got extra exercise, was helped by a very kind stranger, escaped without paying tax, and have some fine looking straps to review in the days ahead courtesy of [mention]Froskemann[/mention]!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 pm This one's a multi-parter...

1) The package of straps that @Froskemann sent to review for our members was intercepted and held by German Zollamt in Garching (inconveniently ~1 hour north of Munich).

2) Today was the only day I could go to pick it up, so I planned to take the train to Garching. Of course there is a strike by the transit workers today, and trains are not running (Read about it here). This meant I had to ride my bike to get the package. Okay, no problem...at least it’s exercise!

3) Got on my bike this morning and rode about 3 blocks while in mid-pedal, the left pedal fell off! The bikers behind me swerved to avoid it, and I was fortunate to find the hes bolt nearby. A stranger nearby saw the event and offered to run up to his flat and get a wrench to repair it...and did so.

4) At the Zollamt I got to an officer after about a 30 min wait. I explained that this was a product sample for review and not a purchase. I offered to show them the correspondence with the manufacturer, which they had me do. Even after reading the clear offer of a sample for review, they said my only options were to pay import tax on the value or refuse the package. When I asked if I could pay the tax now and have it refunded later after I send the items back, they laughed and said that there is a process for that through another office...but not an easy one and kind of a crapshoot.

5) They refused to go by the declared value of the package ($35) and instead insisted that I show them the retail value of the straps by pulling up the sender’s website. Perhaps it was the bike ride or the three espressos this morning, but I quickly did a google search on Aliexpress nato straps and found one listing them for $0.50 to $1.00. When I showed the officer, she took the higher amount ($1.00). BUT, because this still put the total under EUR 20 (8 straps x $1), I was not liable to pay any tax!

6) When I got outside, I found someone had knocked my bike and broken the legally required bell for alerting pedestrians when passing:

So...my complaint is a day filled with bureaucratic nonsense wasting my time and multiple unreliable means of transport. On the bright side: I got extra exercise, was helped by a very kind stranger, escaped without paying tax, and have some fine looking straps to review in the days ahead courtesy of @Froskemann!
--------

Now for a nice bier.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 pm 5) They refused to go by the declared value of the package ($35) and instead insisted that I show them the retail value of the straps by pulling up the sender’s website. Perhaps it was the bike ride or the three espressos this morning, but I quickly did a google search on Aliexpress nato straps and found one listing them for $0.50 to $1.00. When I showed the officer, she took the higher amount ($1.00). BUT, because this still put the total under EUR 20 (8 straps x $1), I was not liable to pay any tax!
Ha! Quick thinking!
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:52 pm --------

Now for a nice bier.

most definitely!

BC90378B-A686-48D8-A32B-588E8B0F4B35.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

watchpalooza wrote:This one's a multi-parter...

1) The package of straps that [mention]Froskemann[/mention] sent to review for our members was intercepted and held by German Zollamt in Garching (inconveniently ~1 hour north of Munich).

So...my complaint is a day filled with bureaucratic nonsense wasting my time and multiple unreliable means of transport. On the bright side: I got extra exercise, was helped by a very kind stranger, escaped without paying tax, and have some fine looking straps to review in the days ahead courtesy of [mention]Froskemann[/mention]!
This tale had me all kinds of stressed out, and for 8 sample straps!! Glad everything worked out in the end and you sure earned that beer.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Robotaz
MoT Member

Complaint of the Day

Post by Robotaz »

Almost two hours in the DMV, murdered on my trade in taxes, then get to the parking garage and an old lady has her van lodged in the circular ramp for literally 20 minutes. Finally get her out of the way and someone’s card is stuck in the pay machine to get out. The entire 6 level garage was full of cars running on all levels trying to get down and out. Exits out on downtown main street in rush hour Friday traffic. Bumper to bumper for 15 minutes to get to a side street.

Very, very long afternoon. Time for this:

sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

I usually type on a 1980s IBM Model F keyboard, which I like very much for its unique "buckling spring" switches. It has served me faithfully--until today. Not an hour ago the "u" key decided to retire from its nearly 40 year long career. I'm still holding out hope that I'll be able to convince it to change its mind, but for the present I'm stuck with a stock Dell membrane keyboard. It's quite a step down, I can tell you.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

sistem_32 wrote:I usually type on a 1980s IBM Model F keyboard, which I like very much for its unique "buckling spring" switches. It has served me faithfully--until today. Not an hour ago the "u" key decided to retire from its nearly 40 year long career. I'm still holding out hope that I'll be able to convince it to change its mind, but for the present I'm stuck with a stock Dell membrane keyboard. It's quite a step down, I can tell you.
Oh no! That is the kind of thing that I would really want a backup of. I don’t have a vintage mechanical, but maybe I will bump into one some day.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I'm not going to name names but I was at an event yesterday with one of the Apollo 15 astronauts. After a presentation he was signing books. They announced "no memorabilia." Well, I took the caseback from my Bulova Moonwatch just in case. The set up was perfect. They had an hour to sign but were finished in about 35 minutes. I was basically at the end of the line with my four year old son. I see the lady giving who is going to run interference and I asked if she was "the enforcer." Yep. And the answer was a sound "no." I don't think he would have cared at all. I was sort of put off and didn't ask him myself.

I'm a grown man and this was probably the first time I have sought an autograph. Anyway, I wouldn't have ranted had it not been for the watch connection. I was going to the event regardless.