We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Complaint of the Day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Re: Complaint of the Day

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:57 pm
squincher wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 pm
cel4145 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 pm

I don't think there was a problem with them wanting to eliminate affiliate links.

But otherwise, I agree. The platoon sergeant mentality of "everyone pays if someone makes a mistake" of shutting down the thread seems a rather short-sighted method for managing an online community. An online enthusiast community is not the military.
But a fine method of inciting an insurrection. Apparently.

To the barricades!

Anybody know the words to "La Marseillaise"?
Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

As a regular reader, I consider the Heads Up threads (old and new) very informative and it's steered me to some great watches. I feel for those that haven't been pointed in the direction or stumbled on it (as I did on IG very early on).

Some (a generalisation) of the commenters in the other forum make it out like there was a rebellion or that this forum is an oasis for banned members. Perhaps they don't understand that this place was established because nothing existed at that time (the thread was locked). There was essentially a gap or for some, a need - for whatever reason.

I've noticed that there seems to be less activity on the other forum in the other threads I often hang out in. It's like a shopping centre (or mall) - you go there to visit one shop, but stop by the other shops while you're there. Before you know it the time has flown by.

I know both forums can co-exist.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Techme wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:37 pm Perhaps they don't understand that this place was established because nothing existed at that time (the thread was locked). There was essentially a gap or for some, a need - for whatever reason.

I know both forums can co-exist.
Exactly right, thank you.

I believe they can co-exist as well. That's what my intention was.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

Techme wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:37 pm Perhaps they don't understand that this place was established because nothing existed at that time (the thread was locked). There was essentially a gap or for some, a need - for whatever reason.
I pointed that out over there, but I'm not sure it made any difference.

Simon and Garfunkel were right 50 years ago: "The man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest."
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

CVP33 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 pm My take is that WUS made a decision to fix a problem that didn't exist for most users. I couldn't care less if anyone posted affiliated links. Eventually that "noise" would've died down, but instead the thread was closed denying those interested, a place to post and share deals. In it's absence, MoT is born and the savvy amongst us jump ship. By savvy I mean power posters on the deal thread. What's left at WUS are reposts of slick deals, ToM, etc. What's missing is double and triple dip deal knowledge of combine rebate sites with % offs, cashback, gift cards, bonus buys and everything that makes chasing a deal worthwhile. I'm happy to be here and VERY happy with how folks are handling this freedom.
I don't think there was a problem with them wanting to eliminate affiliate links.

But otherwise, I agree. The platoon sergeant mentality of "everyone pays if someone makes a mistake" of shutting down the thread seems a rather short-sighted method for managing an online community. An online enthusiast community is not the military.
To expound a little more, Bo's military past and dickish behavior are correlative rather than causative. As a veteran of the U.S. Army, I can assure you his pulling that crap in an infantry platoon outside of basic training, or a few other particular training environments, would have been met with a far more direct reaction than he experienced on WUS. He wouldn't have done it a second time, if he managed to remain in a leadership position.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

My complaint of the day...not specifically related to “the other place”...but it is a nice metaphor.

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

squincher wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:25 pm
CVP33 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 pm My take is that WUS made a decision to fix a problem that didn't exist for most users. I couldn't care less if anyone posted affiliated links. Eventually that "noise" would've died down, but instead the thread was closed denying those interested, a place to post and share deals. In it's absence, MoT is born and the savvy amongst us jump ship. By savvy I mean power posters on the deal thread. What's left at WUS are reposts of slick deals, ToM, etc. What's missing is double and triple dip deal knowledge of combine rebate sites with % offs, cashback, gift cards, bonus buys and everything that makes chasing a deal worthwhile. I'm happy to be here and VERY happy with how folks are handling this freedom.

To expound a little more, Bo's military past and dickish behavior are correlative rather than causative. As a veteran of the U.S. Army, I can assure you his pulling that crap in an infantry platoon outside of basic training, or a few other particular training environments, would have been met with a far more direct reaction than he experienced on WUS. He wouldn't have done it a second time, if he managed to remain in a leadership position.
I apologize. I should have said the Hollywood stereotype of the platoon sergeant mentality. I really don't know at all whether or not or how often that happens in the military. What you said makes sense.

That, and I didn't even know Bo was in the military.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

FTE wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:54 am My complaint of the day...not specifically related to “the other place”...but it is a nice metaphor.

Hmmm... your TGV fake Rolex tool appears to be a cheap knockoff, lol.
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

cel4145 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:56 am
squincher wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:25 pm

I apologize. I should have said the Hollywood stereotype of the platoon sergeant mentality. I really don't know at all whether or not or how often that happens in the military. What you said makes sense.

That, and I didn't even know Bo was in the military.
No apology necessary as some certainly do their best to live up to the stereotype. It just put me in mind of a familiar refrain. "Oh yeah, Sarge? Whaddaya gonna do, send me to Iraq and make me clear houses?"
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

F71 HUISABH is closely moderated, but not explained. That's a red flag for me, and a strong hint for how I should and where I should invest my time.

The last couple of posts are about wondering why activity has slowed. One response mentioned obliquely that another site has picked up the activity. Someone else suggesting Googling for more into, etc.

And then I poked the bear with something like this in response, "Man, you are right On Time."

All those comments are now gone, no explanation, no warning, no infraction given (at least for me). The person who speculated that the reduced activity is probably due to everyone having done all their holiday shopping ... yeah, that's still up, and misleading.

I have no dog in that fight nor do I care about any of it. So yeah, it's still great, still useful and so on. Just a bit less great and useful after December.
59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

I noticed my one sentence post of "It relocated to another time and place" was deleted.

Not sure why as it had no specifics, but sounds to me they are trying to hide the truth.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

59yukon01 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:15 pm I noticed my one sentence post of "It relocated to another time and place" was deleted.

Not sure why as it had no specifics, but sounds to me they are trying to hide the truth.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Yeah they are not even trying to claim rules violations for bans as they consider you lucky and grateful to be a member. Membership is completely at their discretion, and with recent events they will ban if they don’t like your tone. In most cases now they are not PM’ing to give warnings at all and are not giving explanations.
Last edited by watchpalooza on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
OvrSteer

Post by OvrSteer »

This.

My comment that I'd prefer the mods explain when they take mod action rather than shadow editing stuff... was shadow edited. Yeah obviously there are things like spam that need to go 'poof', but after a considered and polite response they could have said "no" without taking words out of my mouth.

I've been part of communities on the same tier of activity/value/importance as WUS (if not significantly more high profile) and worked behind the scenes running various organizations online and off, and while my participation hasn't gone to zero, it's reflective of the rules that are now crystal clear.
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

See they're turning hitler as I said before...

The rule that stating members shouldn't question mods' decisions reminds me of Orwell's animal farm

You post something disagreeable,it got deleted and you can be banned even though it's your first mistake...all these and no explanations given...
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

synequano wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 pm See they're turning hitler as I said before...
Let's nip commentary like this in the bud.

I'd like this place to (hopefully, eventually) have an amicable relationship with WUS. I've maintained from the get-go that I didn't start this website out of animosity or malice. We may not agree with the decision making (I certainly don't), but it is well within their purview to make decisions as they see fit.

Invoking Godwin's Law is not beneficial to either site.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody