We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Complaint of the Day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Re: Complaint of the Day

Post by Robotaz »

We love MoT. We love WUS. It’s all good because it’s all about watch enthusiasm. If WUS isn’t happy about something, that ain’t our problem. It’s theirs.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Here's my complaint of the day:

My FIL is not a luddite, but leaves online interactions to those more savvy in doing them. He needs to buy a new car and asked me to research a best price for him.

I've contacted ten dealers, explained that it's a cash purchase (well not cash, he'll write a check obviously) and inquired about best price and potential discounts, etc.

Three have gotten back to me, and only one has quoted a price. Who knew buying a car would be so difficult?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:44 pm Here's my complaint of the day:

My FIL is not a luddite, but leaves online interactions to those more savvy in doing them. He needs to buy a new car and asked me to research a best price for him.

I've contacted ten dealers, explained that it's a cash purchase (well not cash, he'll write a check obviously) and inquired about best price and potential discounts, etc.

Three have gotten back to me, and only one has quoted a price. Who knew buying a car would be so difficult?
Some of the dealers are definitely a pain. I was shopping for a slightly used car (~10,000 miles) last June. Went to one dealership a couple of times and test drove a couple of cars. The 3rd time I went to see about a car that I asked about the first time (they didn't have it ready to show the first two times), and it was still within the same week. I asked for a price on the car I had been interested in from the very beginning. I was paying cash, so financing did not enter into the deal. The dealer made me wait 20 minutes while they wrote up the offer, and they gave the same price that I could find on their website. I did NOT go back to that dealer again, and I told the salesman as I left that I really appreciated them wasting my time by not being willing to show a good faith effort to deal.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:44 pm Here's my complaint of the day:

Some of the dealers are definitely a pain. I was shopping for a slightly used car (~10,000 miles) last June. Went to one dealership a couple of times and test drove a couple of cars. The 3rd time I went to see about a car that I asked about the first time (they didn't have it ready to show the first two times), and it was still within the same week. I asked for a price on the car I had been interested in from the very beginning. I was paying cash, so financing did not enter into the deal. The dealer made me wait 20 minutes while they wrote up the offer, and they gave the same price that I could find on their website. I did NOT go back to that dealer again, and I told the salesman as I left that I really appreciated them wasting my time by not being willing to show a good faith effort to deal.
Many dealers and dealerships do not like cash buyers. It makes it even harder for them to try and add in profit generators like "undercoating" and "fabric protection package", etc. It's easier to convince some one when it's "only another $20" a month instead of an extra $1,500 up front.

They really hate it when someone who knows cars and the tricks comes in to buy.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

ManOnTime wrote:Here's my complaint of the day:

Dealers generally suck. If you've identified the model your FIL is interested in, use an auto broker. No hassle, no BS, just sign the papers, write the check and drive away.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

larand wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Dealers generally suck. If you've identified the model your FIL is interested in, use an auto broker. No hassle, no BS, just sign the papers, write the check and drive away.

My FIL is notoriously frugal. There is no way he'd pay someone to do something he can get me to do for free. I'm picturing the dust rising from his checkbook when he cracks it open to pay for the car. :lol:

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

ManOnTime wrote:
larand wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:29 pm

My FIL is notoriously frugal. There is no way he'd pay someone to do something he can get me to do for free. I'm picturing the dust rising from his checkbook when he cracks it open to pay for the car. [emoji38]
See, that's the thing. Brokers save you money, because they know the market and the business and negotiate the best price, most likely quite a bit better than you can do yourself. It always amazes me that people think they're going to stick it to the dealer when they buy a car; the reality is that the dealer does this every day and the average consumer does it every five years or so. Guess who usually comes out ahead?
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

larand wrote: See, that's the thing. Brokers save you money, because they know the market and the business and negotiate the best price, most likely quite a bit better than you can do yourself. It always amazes me that people think they're going to stick it to the dealer when they buy a car; the reality is that the dealer does this every day and the average consumer does it every five years or so. Guess who usually comes out ahead?
I have heard good things about auto brokers. But I'd be afraid I'd get the one that gets kickbacks from dealers. And then it would cost me more money.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

larand wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:30 pm
ManOnTime wrote:
larand wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:29 pm Dealers generally suck. If you've identified the model your FIL is interested in, use an auto broker. No hassle, no BS, just sign the papers, write the check and drive away.

My FIL is notoriously frugal. There is no way he'd pay someone to do something he can get me to do for free. I'm picturing the dust rising from his checkbook when he cracks it open to pay for the car. [emoji38]
See, that's the thing. Brokers save you money, because they know the market and the business and negotiate the best price, most likely quite a bit better than you can do yourself. It always amazes me that people think they're going to stick it to the dealer when they buy a car; the reality is that the dealer does this every day and the average consumer does it every five years or so. Guess who usually comes out ahead?

I understand your point, and I agree. However, I'm not the average consumer. 😉

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Brings to mind this funny post by Scott Adams:
https://blog.dilbert.com/2016/07/13/how ... evy-truck/
I’ve been trying for several months to buy a Chevy Truck, for a variety of functional and recreational purposes.

It turns out you can’t do that. Yes, I was surprised too.

To be fair, I do see people buying Chevy trucks all the time, but I call them victims, not customers. That’s different than what I’m trying to do. I’m trying to identify the truck I want, then buy it, without being a victim. I’m aiming for more of a “customer” situation.

Our last car was from CarMax and we've been pleased.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Complaint: People who put up blurry watch photos in for sale ads. I don't know if they don't know how to sell watches. Or if they are purposely trying to obscure the watches cosmetic condition. Either way, marks them as risky.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

cel4145 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:52 am Complaint: People who put up blurry watch photos in for sale ads. I don't know if they don't know how to sell watches. Or if they are purposely trying to obscure the watches cosmetic condition. Either way, marks them as risky.
Agreed. And low light photos. And far-away photos. And all "needs battery" listings. Although I have seen a couple "needs battery" listings on Poshmark for fairly recent solar G-Shocks. Judging by how the hands are positioned at 12:00 I suspect they just need some time in the sun.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Rotating bezels with screw heads in them -- why? It's supposed to turn but you (Bulova! Citizen! Aragon!) make it look firmly fixed. Completely scotches it for me.

Update: here is the model I had in mind ($150 new on ebay here from OWD):

[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cX8AAOSw ... s-l500.jpg[/img]
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

What really burns me is that this Orient "Sun & Moon" is a lady's watch (@ 35mm). Its dial is nicely balanced, unlike the men's models.

Woman's Model:

[img][/img]

Men's Models:

[img][/img]

Version 2

-----------

[img][/img]

Version 3
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:49 pm What really burns me is that this Orient "Sun & Moon" is a lady's watch (@ 35mm). Its dial is nicely balanced, unlike the men's models.
Don't let 35mm size scare you away.
I know it depends on wrist size, but I have several <38mm watches I wear.

35mm Lip GDG
[img][/img]

36mm Tissot
[img][/img]

33mm Hamilton Ventura
[img][/img]
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine