We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Complaint of the Day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Re: Complaint of the Day

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:12 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:49 pm What really burns me is that this Orient "Sun & Moon" is a lady's watch (@ 35mm). Its dial is nicely balanced, unlike the men's models.
Don't let 35mm size scare you away.
I know it depends on wrist size, but I have several <38mm watches I wear.

35mm Lip GDG
[img][/img]

36mm Tissot
[img][/img]

33mm Hamilton Ventura
[img][/img]
I get what you're saying, but small watches don't work with my fat wrist.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Complaint of the Day

Post by Robotaz »

I’ve been driving for 30 years without a single accident and a COP rear ended me today while sitting at a red light.

Stupid idiot took off with our light green before I even had a chance to go.

I wonder what he was doing? /sarc off

No doubt the ******* was texting.

@robotazky
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Robotaz wrote:I’ve been driving for 30 years without a single accident and a COP rear ended me today while sitting at a red light.

@robotazky
Ouch, that sucks. At least it wasn't your fault, and I take it nobody got hurt. Still such a hassle. I hope the insurance process goes smoothly for ya.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Dub Rubb wrote:
Robotaz wrote:I’ve been driving for 30 years without a single accident and a COP rear ended me today while sitting at a red light.

@robotazky
Ouch, that sucks. At least it wasn't your fault, and I take it nobody got hurt. Still such a hassle. I hope the insurance process goes smoothly for ya.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
The only damage that I can see is the bumper cover. It’s of course black plastic that is ruined if you touch it. If it was painted it may have survived.

I’m very cynical about labor here. Nobody does a good job. I don’t want to be pissed about a crap repair. Other than that it’s just aggravation that cops are even texting and hitting people like idiots. Frustrating.

@robotazky
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I saw the whole thing:

Seriously though dude...that completely sucks. I hope the repair goes well.

One question: Generally when you have a car accident you are supposed to call a cop to write up the official accident report as a third party. How did this work for you? Did a second cop come to do the report?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

I applied to adopt a fake dog yesterday. Well, in my defense, I was interested in what I thought was a real dog.
dog-to-adopt.png
Here is the ad for the dog needing adoption. It's put up by a local rescue here in Michigan (had not heard of them before).
https://www.petstablished.com/pets/public/388555
And the ad shows up in other places
https://www.petfinder.com/dog/sandy-441 ... ue-mi1019/

The rescue was not open when I decided to do this yesterday, so I read up on their policies at their website. It is a tacky looking website, but OK, you know dog rescues might not have any money.
https://www.unleashedlovepetrescue.org/our-fur-babies
To see the dog, the website says you must fill out an application for pre-approval back at petestablished.com. Seems fair, so I spent my 10 minutes doing that.

Then later, looking at the photo--I'm looking forward to getting another dog--something made wonder if the ad was real. So I did a Google image search. Low and behold this dog was at an animal shelter in Texas.

https://www.facebook.com/AdvocatesGACS/ ... 830848871/

dog for adoption2.jpg
As you can see, the local rescue took that image and cut it up to create a fake ad. Who the heck fakes dog adoption ads? What is the world coming to? :shock:
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

One more thing. I did report this to my local newspaper. I figured they might want to investigate if there is anything else fraudulent about that animal rescue.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

cel4145 wrote:One more thing. I did report this to my local newspaper. I figured they might want to investigate if there is anything else fraudulent about that animal rescue.
Seems like law enforcement would have an interest. Using the internet with fraudulent images for cash is wire fraud, right?

@robotazky
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:47 pm
cel4145 wrote:One more thing. I did report this to my local newspaper. I figured they might want to investigate if there is anything else fraudulent about that animal rescue.
Seems like law enforcement would have an interest. Using the internet with fraudulent images for cash is wire fraud, right?

@robotazky
No cash changes hands in the pre-approval process. My guess is it's more of a con to get you to submit for approval, and then they can say, "Oh, sorry, we don't have this dog anymore. How about another one?" Then again, they are accepting donations on their website. So if many of the dog ads are fake, that's clearly an attempt to defraud the public.

In the next day or two, they should send me an email now that I have submitted the application. I would be happy to share it once I get it.
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

The shelter where my wife and I volunteer gets dogs regularly from shelters in other parts of the country. Usually they've had them for an extended period of time and it doesn't seem they are going to be adopted, so they try another area. Texas to Michigan would be a long way for an exchange, but it could happen. If the Texas shelter depends on volunteers to maintain their website, it could take a while to get it updated.

Of course, taking advantage of people willing to help animals in need could also be a pretty lucrative scam.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

squincher wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:31 pm The shelter where my wife and I volunteer gets dogs regularly from shelters in other parts of the country. Usually they've had them for an extended period of time and it doesn't seem they are going to be adopted, so they try another area. Texas to Michigan would be a long way for an exchange, but it could happen. If the Texas shelter depends on volunteers to maintain their website, it could take a while to get it updated.

Of course, taking advantage of people willing to help animals in need could also be a pretty lucrative scam.

My wife and I fostered some puppies here in Georgia that were eventually transported up to upstate New York for adoption, so Texas to Michigan doesn't seem out of sorts for me. But there does seem to be something amiss about the whole situation.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

TheJohnP wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:39 pm
squincher wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:31 pm The shelter where my wife and I volunteer gets dogs regularly from shelters in other parts of the country. Usually they've had them for an extended period of time and it doesn't seem they are going to be adopted, so they try another area. Texas to Michigan would be a long way for an exchange, but it could happen. If the Texas shelter depends on volunteers to maintain their website, it could take a while to get it updated.

My wife and I fostered some puppies here in Georgia that were eventually transported up to upstate New York for adoption, so Texas to Michigan doesn't seem out of sorts for me. But there does seem to be something amiss about the whole situation.
If she was rescued from that Texas kill shelter and brought up here, why did they change the the classification of what mix she is? Originally listed as Anatolian Shepherd Mix, and they have her listed as Labrador Retriever Collie mix.

Well, maybe it will turn out that someone brought her up here as a foster. If so, she's close to getting adopted. :D
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

I received notification today that I am pre-approved and that the foster dog family will be contacting me. In the meantime, they have updated the ad with more recent photos:
Looks like you guys were probably right. At first I felt like I might have overreacted after seeing the new photos. But all of us have either been burned or known people have been burned by fake ads. I think it was healthy skepticism.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm I received notification today that I am pre-approved and that the foster dog family will be contacting me. In the meantime, they have updated the ad with more recent photos:
Looks like you guys were probably right. At first I felt like I might have overreacted after seeing the new photos. But all of us have either been burned or known people have been burned by fake ads. I think it was healthy skepticism.

Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism.
And she looks like a very happy girl.
I'm sure she is going to be going to a loving home to be properly spoiled by you, cel4145!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:16 pm
cel4145 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm I received notification today that I am pre-approved and that the foster dog family will be contacting me. In the meantime, they have updated the ad with more recent photos:

Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism.
And she looks like a very happy girl.
I'm sure she is going to be going to a loving home to be properly spoiled by you, cel4145!
It's not certain yet. If she has a problem with my ever growing watch collection, there's no way it can work out :D