We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Complaint of the Day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
cel4145
MoT Member

Re: Complaint of the Day

Post by cel4145 »

tldr; BestBuy screwuppery

I ordered a gas Maytag dryer from BestBuy. None of the local appliance stores had it in stock because it's a popular model. They would have had to order from the manufacturer, which meant January. And my 23 year old Maytag dryer was having lots of problems.

First problem. BestBuy's delivery appointment system sucks. They emailed and texted me to make an appointment. So I scheduled the delivery on the website. Got a confirmation email. The next day, got more messages that I needed to schedule. The website no longer had a record of my scheduled appointment, and it wouldn't let me reschedule. So talked to a customer service rep. She was able to do it, although not without a little trouble herself.

Day of Delivery: The good news is that they arrived in a big Geek Squad truck in the first five minutes of the delivery window. Thought I had won the delivery scheduling lottery. Well, of course not. It's BestBuy.

Turns out their installation service can't troubleshoot. My dryer gas connection needed a different fitting. They couldn't change it out. They don't ever change fittings out. Basically useless as I could have done it myself and encountered that problem. (lol) They did refund the installation fee. I now have my local HVAC/appliance service coming to take care of it on Monday.

But to add insult to injury. Or maybe it was just to further convince me to never use them again? They bring the dryer in. I take one look at it and can see it's a Whirlpool, not the Maytag I ordered. Fortunately, they did have the Maytag on the truck. But who doesn't check their invoice when doing delivery of an appliance?

I should have known better. BestBuy Image
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

I will never buy anything from Worst Buy.

Several years ago, I bought a computer that was going to be taken out of the country--which I explained to them. Three employees tried to dragoon me into buying an extended warranty policy even after I told them I wasn't interested (and, of course, it would not be useful out of the US). After their harassment, I vowed never to go back.

I wrote to the company to complain, and they tried to **** me that dunning customers to purchase expensive warranties wasn't their company policy--despite evidence from other customers online that they were similarly hassled.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

cel4145 wrote:tldr; BestBuy screwuppery

I ordered a gas Maytag dryer from BestBuy. None of the local appliance stores had it in stock because it's a popular model. They would have had to order from the manufacturer, which meant January. And my 23 year old Maytag dryer was having lots of problems.

First problem. BestBuy's delivery appointment system sucks. They emailed and texted me to make an appointment. So I scheduled the delivery on the website. Got a confirmation email. The next day, got more messages that I needed to schedule. The website no longer had a record of my scheduled appointment, and it wouldn't let me reschedule. So talked to a customer service rep. She was able to do it, although not without a little trouble herself.

Day of Delivery: The good news is that they arrived in a big Geek Squad truck in the first five minutes of the delivery window. Thought I had won the delivery scheduling lottery. Well, of course not. It's BestBuy.

Turns out their installation service can't troubleshoot. My dryer gas connection needed a different fitting. They couldn't change it out. They don't ever change fittings out. Basically useless as I could have done it myself and encountered that problem. (lol) They did refund the installation fee. I now have my local HVAC/appliance service coming to take care of it on Monday.

But to add insult to injury. Or maybe it was just to further convince me to never use them again? They bring the dryer in. I take one look at it and can see it's a Whirlpool, not the Maytag I ordered. Fortunately, they did have the Maytag on the truck. But who doesn't check their invoice when doing delivery of an appliance?

I should have known better. BestBuy Image
I just went through this with a dishwasher from best buy(my landlord in Germany ordered and scheduled it). Both my wife and I work, so her far came up to hang out for the delivery/install and removal of the old one.

They show up, ask him where he wants the dryer, and he says "ummm. Installed?" They say that's not them, somebody else will be coming to install it and remove the old one.

Turns out, while my landlord did pay for removal of the old one, he was gonna have his handyman do it the next day. No biggie. Call best buy to have them come remove the old one since that was paid for and they should have done it. 45 minutes in the phone and was told I can't authorize the change order since it's not my account. What effing change order?!? They won't even let me schedule an appointment. Also, I cant contact my landlord since its the middle of the night no germany

Get home, realize my wife is already pissed and gonna be more pissed about the dishwasher taking up half out kitchen, so I just tackle removing the dishwasher myself. Figure removal is the same as install but backwards and just do it all myself. Only flooded the kitchen a little when I forgot about the water valve.

Fak best buy. At least I got $150 knocked off my rent.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Rixsler86
MoT Member

Post by Rixsler86 »

You know what grinds my gears???
You place a bid on a great , hard to find, decade old watch on ebay and end up winning.
You spend your Sunday on a slight high knowing on Monday the watch will probably ship.
But then, in the wee hours of the night, the seller of that beautiful watch decides to cancel the order?
His reason; “I'm out of stock or the item is damaged.”
Hmmmm?
On a watch that has been up for multiple days, received multiple bids and was also on reddit?
Reaaaaalllllyyyyyy????

Or is it the fact the watch didn’t sell for what you thought it should and now your reneging?
Does he not know of the reserve feature on ebay?
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Longines Hydroconquest GMT
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Bulova x Complecto Jet Star
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Rixsler86 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:16 am You know what grinds my gears???
You place a bid on a great , hard to find, decade old watch on ebay and end up winning.
You spend your Sunday on a slight high knowing on Monday the watch will probably ship.
But then, in the wee hours of the night, the seller of that beautiful watch decides to cancel the order?
Hmmmm?
On a watch that has been up for multiple days, received multiple bids and was also on reddit?
Reaaaaalllllyyyyyy????

Or is it the fact the watch didn’t sell for what you thought it should and now your reneging?
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ebay should award a small 5% penalty fee from the seller to the buyer for canceled transactions. You are right. The buyer has often invested time in that transaction, and they might have missed out on an opportunity cost purchase. That would minimize some of those mistakes, real mistake or not.
Rixsler86
MoT Member

Post by Rixsler86 »

cel4145 wrote:
Hmmmm?
Reaaaaalllllyyyyyy????

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ebay should award a small 5% penalty fee from the seller to the buyer for canceled transactions. You are right. The buyer has often invested time in that transaction, and they might have missed out on an opportunity cost purchase. That would minimize some of those mistakes, real mistake or not.
I’m still wondering if i should write negative feedback.
I asked him what happened. Waiting to hear back.

Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Rixsler86 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:38 am
cel4145 wrote:
Hmmmm?
Reaaaaalllllyyyyyy????

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

If you can leave negative feedback, do it.
Not an honorable way to sell on eBay.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:50 pm
Rixsler86 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:38 am
cel4145 wrote:

If you can leave negative feedback, do it.
Not an honorable way to sell on eBay.
Do I recall that eBay used to come down hard on sellers who pulled this kind of (unethical) stunt?

I'd say, report it, do whatever can be done to out this seller. You had a contract to buy a watch at a price, and the contract was broken.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

For as long as I recall, Ebay Does .....
Nothing.

There are a few Ebay considered legitimate reasons for a seller to cancel, such as the one mentioned, so Ebay won't charge the seller certain sales fee's. That's why you always see the same excuses.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Casey's gas station. Went to prepay for gas.. Dude said he's not feeling it, they close at 6pm..... Okay except I walked in at 5:55pm and waited behind someone else. It's a shady gas station where no one wears a mask, probably going to avoid in the future (the specific location not the chain).

While I understand wanting to get out of there, that's how you earn the lazy attribute.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Rixsler86
MoT Member

Complaint of the Day

Post by Rixsler86 »

Head on watch shots that show just how poor the tolerances are on the watch lugs

Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Reached agreement for a used watch for $450 (on another forum) where the seller would ship to me via USPS.

Get the tracking number. The seller used Media Mail with tracking.

Granted, I did not specify which USPS service to use in our negotiations. Although, I'm certain the USPS does not consider watches media.

It's kind of disappointing because I thought it would be here this week. And then since media mail is assumed to be books or CDs by the post office, and it travels as slow as possible, I worry about having an automatic movement watch tossed around even more than in Priority Mail or First Class. It would be different if it were a G-Shock (lol).

But most important, it seems so cheap for a $450 watch sale. It does not make me feel quite as good about the seller as I did through our initial communication.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:08 am Reached agreement for a used watch for $450 (on another forum) where the seller would ship to me via USPS.

Granted, I did not specify which USPS service to use in our negotiations. Although, I'm certain the USPS does not consider watches media.

It's kind of disappointing because I thought it would be here this week. And then since media mail is assumed to be books or CDs by the post office, and it travels as slow as possible, I worry about having an automatic movement watch tossed around even more than in Priority Mail or First Class. It would be different if it were a G-Shock (lol).

But most important, it seems so cheap for a $450 watch sale. It does not make me feel quite as good about the seller as I did through our initial communication.
That is ridiculous. I always use priority when sending a watch, even if it's "just" a $20 Casio.

I wouldn't let that slide in any potential seller review.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:08 am Reached agreement for a used watch for $450 (on another forum) where the seller would ship to me via USPS.

It's a hobby, shared by a relatively small group. Yet this person is so cheap and petty they're willing to screw you over to save a dollar or two. I'd rip them a new one in any review. Clearly they have no respect for others.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:54 pm

It's a hobby, shared by a relatively small group. Yet this person is so cheap and petty they're willing to screw you over to save a dollar or two. I'd rip them a new one in any review. Clearly they have no respect for others.
Nope. I was wrong. My mistake. I got tracking numbers mixed up. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Actually, the sender supposedly did use priority mail and supposedly mailed it on Monday. But USPS doesn't show any record of receiving it. He says he handed it off to the person in the post office on Monday. But it's not in the system. So I have a different problem.