COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by Rabirnie »

ManOnTime wrote:No back to the topic:

Mrs.MoT's work is gearing up to have non-patient staff work from home. They asked for the make/model of computers employees have at home, operating systems and internet connection speeds.

She has a work-issued laptop, so if she does end up working from home, she may be able to just use that.

We'll see.
Yea, I’ll be intrigued to see how hospital system’s revenue cycle employees, especially those in the billing office, adjust to this new reality. Could really create a bottleneck in getting claims out, paid, and closing out AR. Most business offices don’t have remote setups for billers and lower level members. It’s typically been restricted to managers and the like. So many considerations to think about and how to keep the lights on.

The less they have people logging on from personal laptops/computers, the better off they will be. No use having people work from home with unsecure workspaces and opening the can of worms that is HIPAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Here are a couple graphs from the WSJ that I think are informative. Source:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/whos-most- ... 1584048476

who_is_vulnerable.png
who_is_vulnerable.png (110.14 KiB) Viewed 8244 times
early_signs.png
early_signs.png (73.21 KiB) Viewed 8244 times
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Rabirnie wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:29 am The less they have people logging on from personal laptops/computers, the better off they will be. No use having people work from home with unsecure workspaces and opening the can of worms that is HIPAA.

The last 3 or 4 years Mrs.MoT was employed at Hennepin Health were spent working from home. There were definitely some strict rules that she needed to adhere to in regards to working space, (for example I couldn't be in the same room as her if I was home at the same time) etc, and they did issue her a Dell Wyse thin-client that connected via VPN so she didn't have to use a personal computer.

I have a feeling they'll send her with her work laptop that has the appropriate software installed if that time comes.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

A lot of shaky starts to web based meetings today as folks get used to this new normal.
But I am sure folks will get the tech figured out and be more comfortable with it as we rely on it more.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

Interesting information and I realize it's early and not over, but considering the worldwide number of cases, and Earth's population of 7-8 billion people, well you can make your own assumptions.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

59yukon01 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:44 pm Interesting information and I realize it's early and not over, but considering the worldwide number of cases, and Earth's population of 7-8 billion people, well you can make your own assumptions.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
--------

Like we're all experts--right?
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Traveled back to Boston Sunday evening on the emptiest plane I've been on in... well, forever. Maybe one person per row? A flight to Atlanta at a neighboring gate was canceled because no passengers showed up. Upon landing, learned that gatherings over 25 people are banned and dining in at a restaurant will be closed for three weeks. I'm not sure these efforts really solve the problem, and I worry about the effect on small business owners. Better than doing nothing though. Spoke with the owner of my doggy daycare by phone and she's already seeing the effects of people working from home, not traveling, and not needing her business's services.

Spent the morning ordering groceries and pet food online so I could stay quarantined. Looks like stores are still out of milk and eggs. Did not try to buy toilet paper.

All office-based workers at my company are now WFH for three weeks to protect manufacturing employees who can't work remote. My university just announced that it will be 100% online for the rest of the semester.

I spent the weekend in a place with only one confirmed case and no one seemed terribly concerned. Even when I offered to forgo hugs or handshakes because I live in a hotspot, people insisted. That's what worries me, along with the misguided panic of stockpiling certain goods. People don't seem to believe that you can be contagious without symptoms. Thank goodness for healthcare workers, delivery drivers, and streaming entertainment services.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I spent all day running around getting people set up to connect to their computers remotely and I totally forgot to get the information so that I could do that myself. I will sort it out, but it could have been easier.
Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »

The government has decreed a state of alert, in which it has forbidden citizens to leave their homes to prevent the spread of the virus, with small exceptions. Going to work, the few who have a job, going to the nearest pharmacy or buying food at the nearest supermarket, fueling the car, buying tobacco, taking the dog for a walk (no, the children, it is not allowed) or... (incredible but true) go to the hairdresser. All other shops, pubs or restaurants will be closed. And you can't go for a walk, do sport alone, or take your bicycle for a ride alone. Forbidden.

Initially, it was for two weeks. But a government minister has already said that it will probably have to be extended.

The company where I work has closed for the duration of the "state of alert".

Two weeks without leaving home, like under house arrest. Fantastic. :cry:

Last edited by Conchita Turtle on Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Gov. Walz of Minnesota has ordered many things to close as of 5:00pm tomorrow and lasting through the 27th of March at the earliest. I would have preferred to have seen it at Midnight tonight, but I'm not the guv.

From his presser:

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Mrs.MoT's father runs an HR Block office. The receptionist was tested today, and was ordered to self-quarantine for at least a week pending results.

He's not freaking out, but his wife who is basically a hypochondriac is on the verge of it. We see them at least 3 times a week.

Interesting times ahead.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

We got a robocall from the mayor telling us that 2 people in the township have tested positive--a married couple in the 70s. One is hospitalized and the other is quarantined.

The usual places are closed, including the courthouse, though the municipal building will remain open.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:32 am Judging by the empty shelves around here, Wal-Mart customers seem to hoard different things than Kroger customers.

For myself, I just bought some stock for the first time in years. I am not a trader, so I just dipped my toe into an S&P 500 index ETF. If it goes up, I can say I got the deal. If it goes down, I still have cash available to buy more -- it's a win-win in my imperfect human mind.

I am also trying to keep my immune system in good shape with good food, good sleep, light exercise, vitamins and low stress.

Stay healthy everybody!
I think you're on the right track BC. All of those things are great but it seems to me that the two highlighted ones are most important in a time like this. As many transplant recipients and people with autoimmune diseases already know, steroids such as prednisone or hydrocortisone can have a favorable immunosuppressive effect but unfortunately leave you immunocompromised and susceptible to infections as well. Consider what happens to a person that is under tremendous emotional or physical distress or is sleep-deprived. Cortisol levels go through the roof. It's not that different from taking mega doses of steroids which leave you more prone to infections. It's happened to every one of us. Too much work and not enough sleep and all of a sudden you come down with a cold or some other infection. My hope is that at age 79, Anthony Fauci is remembering this little bit of biology in the midst of long days involving numerous interviews with sometimes aggressive reporters.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

pdsf wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:39 am
@yinzburgher is on the front line and he has time to keep track of new releases. Mad respect indeed.
To be fair, some of those new released watches have been open browser tabs on my laptop for a while and I finally had the time and frame of mind to post them. I've been working most days but have the next two days off. Considering I'm in one of the 7 Bay area counties with "shelter in place orders" (non-mandatory from what I can tell), I may have time to post more new releases. But if my multitude of open browser tabs are a proper reflection of my current interests and obsessions, I seem to be shifting slightly away from watches and more heavily into COVID-19 with some Zion Williamson highlights sprinkled in there.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:44 am
BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:32 am Judging by the empty shelves around here, Wal-Mart customers seem to hoard different things than Kroger customers.

For myself, I just bought some stock for the first time in years. I am not a trader, so I just dipped my toe into an S&P 500 index ETF. If it goes up, I can say I got the deal. If it goes down, I still have cash available to buy more -- it's a win-win in my imperfect human mind.

I am also trying to keep my immune system in good shape with good food, good sleep, light exercise, vitamins and low stress.

Stay healthy everybody!
I think you're on the right track BC. All of those things are great but it seems to me that the two highlighted ones are most important in a time like this. As many transplant recipients and people with autoimmune diseases already know, steroids such as prednisone or hydrocortisone can have a favorable immunosuppressive effect but unfortunately leave you immunocompromised and susceptible to infections as well. Consider what happens to a person that is under tremendous emotional or physical distress or is sleep-deprived. Cortisol levels go through the roof. It's not that different from taking mega doses of steroids which leave you more prone to infections. It's happened to every one of us. Too much work and not enough sleep and all of a sudden you come down with a cold or some other infection. My hope is that at age 79, Anthony Fauci is remembering this little bit of biology in the midst of long days involving numerous interviews with sometimes aggressive reporters.
Well said [mention]yinzburgher[/mention]. Thanks for bringing up these important points. Endorphins, produced from exercizing, lower cortisol level and help get your immune system back up (of course, folks on immunosuppressants or with autoimmune disorders need to be careful at all times).

Useful read: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... g-to-relax

Research has shown we need at least 7-9 hours of sleep, more if you are young, to perform optimally. Most of us are sleep deprived, no matter how well we think we can do with less sleep. IIRC, there were studies showing people performing better on cognitive testing with more/adequate sleep even though they said they could do just as well with less. Our immune system is impacted by sleep deprivation as well. In clinical settings, this is one of the areas that is often undervalued and where I have found the need to come in and provide education to my patients/examinees.

Another useful read: https://www.sleepfoundation.org/article ... eally-need

Sleep meds don't work for everybody. If you need help with sleep, try implementation of sleep hygiene: https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/s ... giene.html

Also, can't stress enough about hand washing - much more effective than using sanitizers especially given what we are dealing with these days. Recent observations: People geling their hands before a meal vs washing their hands, and a mother pulling out some sort of wipes to clean the table and chairs, yet neglecting to tell her kids to wash their hands before using their bare hands to eat tacos. These are bad habits regardless of whether we are in a pandemic or not.

I might be preaching to the choir, but it's good to be reminded of such things. Getting off my soapbox now. Gosh, this coffee is strong...