COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by yinzburgher »

Bbrou33 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 am @yinzburgher how you doing being back on the East?
I was only back for a few days. Then flew out to SoCal. I'm starting another contract although I'm already pretty sure this job could be quite different than it was presented to me. We'll see. It wouldn't be the first time. This one is only three weeks. For now I'm going to try to stick to jobs with a short duration, high pay, and facilities with enough integrity and resources to protect their staff.

The last job went reasonably well. How much I dealt with COVID had everything to do with which ICU I was assigned to. I spent a few shifts in one of the medical ICUs that was basically all COVID all the time. And on the opposite end end of the spectrum I sometimes worked in the Neuro-Surgical ICU with only the occasional rule-out COVID pt. You could almost forget about COVID working there. And some others were in between. I moved around a bit too much to really closely observe the progress of specific COVID pts. But I was able to see that the first COVID pt I had there was able to improve over the course of weeks despite a couple of setbacks. That pt had a number of comorbidities and advanced age working against them but was eventually well enough to get off the vent and out of the ICU.

I saw the first visitor in the ICU in weeks. She just started wailing as soon as she saw her husband. I wasn't very familiar with the pt except to know that he there a long time and was unlikely to make it another 24 hours. So they must have called the wife in, who probably hadn't seen him in weeks. The crying was extremely loud. A lot of grown people make weird noises when they cry, different than kids. I just grabbed a chair and a box of tissues for her while that pt's nurse tried to console her. Eventually she collected herself enough to get in a PAPR and gear so she could go in the room with the nurse. She was in there a while and then was silent when she came back out.

I wish I could say we were getting a lot better at treating critically ill COVID pts. There seems to be a concerted effort by the docs to avoid intubation and ventilation for as long as possible. And I think there might be something to it. Proning strategies seem to be of some help when it comes to avoiding intubation. The early evidence on remdesivir is mixed, but not very promising overall. My guess is that if it is to show any significant benefit, it will only be in the cases where it is used very early, like other anti-virals.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

yinzburgher wrote:
Bbrou33 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 am @yinzburgher how you doing being back on the East?
I was only back for a few days. Then flew out to SoCal. I'm starting another contract although I'm already pretty sure this job could be quite different than it was presented to me. We'll see. It wouldn't be the first time. This one is only three weeks. For now I'm going to try to stick to jobs with a short duration, high pay, and facilities with enough integrity and resources to protect their staff.

The last job went reasonably well. How much I dealt with COVID had everything to do with which ICU I was assigned to. I spent a few shifts in one of the medical ICUs that was basically all COVID all the time. And on the opposite end end of the spectrum I sometimes worked in the Neuro-Surgical ICU with only the occasional rule-out COVID pt. You could almost forget about COVID working there. And some others were in between. I moved around a bit too much to really closely observe the progress of specific COVID pts. But I was able to see that the first COVID pt I had there was able to improve over the course of weeks despite a couple of setbacks. That pt had a number of comorbidities and advanced age working against them but was eventually well enough to get off the vent and out of the ICU.

I saw the first visitor in the ICU in weeks. She just started wailing as soon as she saw her husband. I wasn't very familiar with the pt except to know that he there a long time and was unlikely to make it another 24 hours. So they must have called the wife in, who probably hadn't seen him in weeks. The crying was extremely loud. A lot of grown people make weird noises when they cry, different than kids. I just grabbed a chair and a box of tissues for her while that pt's nurse tried to console her. Eventually she collected herself enough to get in a PAPR and gear so she could go in the room with the nurse. She was in there a while and then was silent when she came back out.

I wish I could say we were getting a lot better at treating critically ill COVID pts. There seems to be a concerted effort by the docs to avoid intubation and ventilation for as long as possible. And I think there might be something to it. Proning strategies seem to be of some help when it comes to avoiding intubation. The early evidence on remdesivir is mixed, but not very promising overall. My guess is that if it is to show any significant benefit, it will only be in the cases where it is used very early, like other anti-virals.
I feel like you and my girlfriend share a ton of the same thoughts on this. Most of what you just said, her and I were talking about last night.
Also some of the surgeons I work with echo the delay of intubation and ventilation as long as possible.
As always love hearing about your insight and truly appreciate your knowledge.
Stay safe

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:08 am
yinzburgher wrote:

I feel like you and my girlfriend share a ton of the same thoughts on this. Most of what you just said, her and I were talking about last night.
Also some of the surgeons I work with echo the delay of intubation and ventilation as long as possible.
Stay safe
Thanks, will do. You guys too. Is she back at her old ICU job, or doing testing, or something different?
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

yinzburgher wrote:
Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:08 am
yinzburgher wrote:

Stay safe
Thanks, will do. You guys too. Is she back at her old ICU job, or doing testing, or something different?
No she's still doing testing at her hospital. She's set up 4 testing sites and trained nurses how to properly perform the tests. She's also been teaching residents and interns how to start IVs and other things they have no idea how to do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Corona virus breakthrough.

Says right on the label kills 99.9% of viruses. Ingest all you can and step out for a walk in the sunshine. Repeat as needed.

(Joke, bad joke, don't even think about it.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

After working in the yard I decided to see what I could do with my rusty $25 Goodwill bike that's been neglected all winter. Lots of WD-40 and a wire brush cleaned it up surprisingly well (it's been out in the rain). The tires held air, so I took it for a quick ride around the neighborhood.

Dang, that was awesome. I guess I miss the gym more than I realized. I really cranked that thing. For about five minutes, before my butt was kicked, lol.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

PetWatch wrote:Corona virus breakthrough.

Says right on the label kills 99.9% of viruses. Ingest all you can and step out for a walk in the sunshine. Repeat as needed.

(Joke, bad joke, don't even think about it.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Bad joke? Wrong. It was a great joke. In fact it was the best joke. Other jokes wish they were as funny.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:25 pm After working in the yard I decided to see what I could do with my rusty $25 Goodwill bike that's been neglected all winter. Lots of WD-40 and a wire brush cleaned it up surprisingly well (it's been out in the rain). The tires held air, so I took it for a quick ride around the neighborhood.

Dang, that was awesome. I guess I miss the gym more than I realized. I really cranked that thing. For about five minutes, before my butt was kicked, lol.
I didn't think I'd miss practicing olympic lifting so much. Gym closures suck.
59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

Hour long and interesting data by these two doctors. After 20 minutes I decided it was worth listening to the whole thing.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

59yukon01 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm Hour long and interesting data by these two doctors. After 20 minutes I decided it was worth listening to the whole thing.
I am in favor of open dialogue as long as it follows the guidelines laid out for this forum. Because of that, I am generally uncomfortable with editing content. That being said, and as much as I dislike taking the hard stance, this is 'my house' and I reserve the ability to restrict content as I see fit.

After browsing that channel's other videos, I am going to ask you to refrain from sharing content from Youtube content creators or any other sources that have such a transparent and often vitriolic ideological stance.

This video will stay. For now. However, if you feel like you are unable to grant my above request I will have no choice but to remove or restrict similar content from similar sources in the future.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Know what really grinds my gears and almost makes me apoplectic?

People and ideas like this:

That image was captured from a live newscast from Nashville, TN on April 20.

It's self-centered, it's abhorrent and frankly, it's evil.

If Hell exists, whoever made, whoever is holding and whoever supports the thoughts behind that sign will most definitely end up there.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

ManOnTime wrote:
59yukon01 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm Hour long and interesting data by these two doctors. After 20 minutes I decided it was worth listening to the whole thing.
I am in favor of open dialogue as long as it follows the guidelines laid out for this forum. Because of that, I am generally uncomfortable with editing content. That being said, and as much as I dislike taking the hard stance, this is 'my house' and I reserve the ability to restrict content as I see fit.

After browsing that channel's other videos, I am going to ask you to refrain from sharing content from Youtube content creators or any other sources that have such a transparent and often vitriolic ideological stance.

This video will stay. For now. However, if you feel like you are unable to grant my above request I will have no choice but to remove or restrict similar content from similar sources in the future.
That "channel" just happened to be one of many showing it. Even ABC??

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

59yukon01 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:51 pm
ManOnTime wrote:

That "channel" just happened to be one of many showing it. Even ABC??

This is not up for debate. You know it was shown on other outlets, yet you chose to post it from the one you did.

I'm finished with this and I won't publicly speak further about it. If you'd like to retort, send me a PM, but there is no guarantee I'll reply.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

What happens when crazy gets loose:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/heal ... e=Homepage
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I've not been entirely happy with how the CDC has handled this crisis. But now......well....this is a step too far. I received this message on my phone a couple days ago. I'm not familiar with this Twitter account but the post below has the same audio recording that I received. You know nothing about me CDC!

Of course, it's also entirely possible that one of my brothers left the message for me. 😜