We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:Know what really grinds my gears and almost makes me apoplectic?

People and ideas like this:

That image was captured from a live newscast from Nashville, TN on April 20.

It's self-centered, it's abhorrent and frankly, it's evil.

If Hell exists, whoever made, whoever is holding and whoever supports the thoughts behind that sign will most definitely end up there.
What I want to know is why the heck is that guy even wearing a mask?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:25 pm
ManOnTime wrote:Know what really grinds my gears and almost makes me apoplectic?

People and ideas like this:

That image was captured from a live newscast from Nashville, TN on April 20.

It's self-centered, it's abhorrent and frankly, it's evil.

If Hell exists, whoever made, whoever is holding and whoever supports the thoughts behind that sign will most definitely end up there.
What I want to know is why the heck is that guy even wearing a mask?
Yeah, I think that bit of irony adds to what set me off about it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

yinzburgher wrote:I've not been entirely happy with how the CDC has handled this crisis. But now......well....this is a step too far. I received this message on my phone a couple days ago. I'm not familiar with this Twitter account but the post below has the same audio recording that I received. You know nothing about me CDC!

Of course, it's also entirely possible that one of my brothers left the message for me. [emoji12]
Sorry to hear about your "condition"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

In covid related news, a slight shift back to normalcy for me and work this week. Well not normalcy, but our company has more surgeries being covered this week than any other since early March.
Today is my second day coming into the hospital in a row. I haven't done that since this all started. And it's at a hospital who hasn't had anything scheduled in 2 months. I noticed they also have a few select other surgeries on the schedule too that we don't cover. I believe they are having patients tested when the surgery is scheduled (about a week out), then tested again the day before the procedure. To my knowledge, only negative patients are allowed to have surgery unless big emergency then there are 2 or 3 covid only Operating Rooms that I believe are also negative pressure rooms.
At my girlfriend's hospital, which is a cancer hospital, they are starting some clinics back up this week. But very strict rules are in place, which need to be since all of these patients are very immunocompromised.
She is still shoving swabs up noses and testing. Finished her last class for this semester (in school for nurse practitioner while working full time) on Tuesday so we celebrated. Idk how she does it. I barely made it through undergrad at LSU while not having a job. However attending sporting events and drinking was essentially a full time job back then.
Her hospital is offering testing to the nurses that have been working in the clinics. Their results turn around have been about 8-12 hours. My girlfriend, who's Filipino, is VERY close to her family and it's been killing her that she hasn't been able to see her mom in 2 months. She's considering getting tested the Friday before mother's day so she can go home to see her. I'm against the idea. Even though the chances are slim, I don't want ANYTHING to happen and it be her fault. But if you have experience dating Filipinos, you know they are hard headed.
Anyway, that's my weekly update.
Stay safe everyone!

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

She's probably missing her mom's lumpia too, I bet.
Hopefully things continue improving for you too [mention]Bbrou33[/mention]!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

TheJohnP wrote:She's probably missing her mom's lumpia too, I bet.
Hopefully things continue improving for you too [mention]Bbrou33[/mention]!
Oh she definitely is. Luckily I worked in Hackensack last week and there's quite a few really good Filipino places still open around there.
I picked up 90 frozen lumpia for her on my way home

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Sign outside a small California Central Coast hospital.

Thank you Heroes!

Everywhere!Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I tried to return some summer shorts to Walmart today, but they aren't accepting clothing returns due to the virus. Here's the dope:
Temporary Return Policy Change

We are temporarily not processing returns/exchanges in our stores of: food, paper goods, home cleaning supplies, laundry soap, pharmacy, health & beauty and apparel.

If you need to return any item, including those above, and have a receipt, please start your return on the Walmart app or at Walmart.com. It’s easy and may allow you to complete your return without coming to the store.

If you’re not able to return the item online, don’t worry! Once returns reopen for impacted categories, we will be extending the return period by 6 weeks for those items.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Question of the Day:

If you have a split personality, do you have to stand 6 feet away from yourself?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Interesting (source WSJ here, pay wall):
It is another medical mystery of the coronavirus pandemic: Large numbers of Covid-19 patients arrive at hospitals with blood-oxygen levels so low they should be unconscious or on the verge of organ failure. Instead they are awake, talking—not struggling to breathe.

Although nobody is quite sure what about the coronavirus causes these patients to react this way, they are rapidly changing how many doctors are treating the disease. Instead of rushing to put such patients on mechanical ventilators for fear of them suddenly getting worse and dying, some doctors are now holding off on the invasive treatment, believing that many of these patients will do just fine without them.

Doctors have dubbed these patients “happy hypoxemics,” a reference to the paradox of abnormally low levels of oxygen found in their blood combined with an ability to breathe relatively easily. In recent weeks, doctors at Stony Brook Hospital have used ventilators less on these patients, turning instead to the CPAP or BiPAP machines or high-flow nasal cannulas.

Dr. Weingart remembers one of his first such patients in March—a 42-year-old man with blood-oxygen levels so low he should have been unconscious. Instead, he was sitting up, smiling and talking. He was breathing quickly, but seemed fine otherwise. Dr. Weingart and his team used a high-flow nasal cannula to boost the patient’s oxygen levels. They also turned him on his front, a method known as “prone positioning” that doctors have found can also help boost oxygen levels partly by reducing the pressure of the heart and diaphragm on the lungs. The patient was never put on a ventilator and was discharged in a week, Dr. Weingart said.

They never mention specific blood-oxygen level numbers.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Very interesting article by virologist Peter Piot, director of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
- Piot, who grew up in Belgium, was one of the discoverers of the Ebola virus in 1976 and spent his career fighting infectious diseases.
- He headed the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS between 1995 and 2008.
- He is currently a coronavirus adviser to European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

This is his experience from having fell ill with COVID-19 in mid-March, which was translated from Dutch.

So a man who knows and understands viruses, as well as first hand knowledge about contracting this particular disease.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05 ... h-covid-19
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:36 pm Very interesting article by virologist Peter Piot, director of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
- Piot, who grew up in Belgium, was one of the discoverers of the Ebola virus in 1976 and spent his career fighting infectious diseases.
- He headed the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS between 1995 and 2008.
- He is currently a coronavirus adviser to European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

This is his experience from having fell ill with COVID-19 in mid-March, which was translated from Dutch.

So a man who knows and understands viruses, as well as first hand knowledge about contracting this particular disease.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05 ... h-covid-19
Good read. Thanks.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Grocery store meat section is about 2/3 full. Signage was up limiting you to 2 packs of various meat goods.
ED7ADACC-5D63-4188-9C0D-69A47986E6D7.jpeg
The local classic car club had a parade that went by. It ran late and people were out waiting for over an hour. They waited because what else are they going to do? That is how starved people are for entertainment. About 20 cars in total. I know some of you are into cars, so here is a tile of a few cars I saw outside my window. Can you name them?
1A19AA52-58F5-4686-B128-04727869ABA7.jpeg
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:Grocery store meat section is about 2/3 full. Signage was up limiting you to 2 packs of various meat goods.
ED7ADACC-5D63-4188-9C0D-69A47986E6D7.jpeg
The local classic car club had a parade that went by. It ran late and people were out waiting for over an hour. They waited because what else are they going to do? That is how starved people are for entertainment. About 20 cars in total. I know some of you are into cars, so here is a tile of a few cars I saw outside my window. Can you name them?
1A19AA52-58F5-4686-B128-04727869ABA7.jpeg
I'll start. Nissan Murano and Nissan Rouge.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

That's a red MGB GT.