We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by yinzburgher »

Great to hear of so many people here getting vaccinated. I'd just like to echo something that [mention]Split-Time[/mention] brought up. Not everyone is going to be as savvy as all of us at navigating the system and obtaining appointments and shots. So it may be helpful to reach out to family, friends, and neighbors (particular those at risk and less capable) to see if you can help them get set up for a vaccination.

My dad doesn't internet very well but he started working the phones pretty early to find vaccines for himself and my mom. So they got their second Pfizer shot on 3/1. Two weeks later and they're visiting their grandkids. My sister and her husband got on the list at a clinic to get a call if there were unused doses at the end of the day, so they've already received their first Moderna shot. A brother who's a nurse has also been vaccinated. Hopefully my other brothers and other family aren't too far behind. My mom and my dad each had a cousin pass away from COVID. Both were in their mid-70s....one healthy, one not. But overall I think my family has been fortunate to this point.

There were a number of employees that opted out of the vaccine at the hospital where I work. Unfortunately quite a few of those unvaccinated individuals went on to get sick with COVID. That left us short-handed at a critical time. I can think of 3 people that opted out based on fertility concerns and at least 2 of them got ill from COVID. I also know of some co-workers that waited a while to first see how everyone else did after the vaccine. Then we ran out of doses so they weren't able to get one when they realized how well everybody was tolerating it (which was already clear from clinical trials). Some were able to find the vaccine elsewhere. I don't know of a single person that has regretted getting a vaccine.....most feel quite the opposite. If you haven't seen it, [mention]biglovetravis[/mention] outlines some important points about the mRNA vaccines HERE.

There is now data out of Israel that shows that vaccines not only greatly decrease symptomatic COVID infections (and hospital visits and death), but that they are also extremely effective in decreasing asymptomatic transmission of the virus. I would love to see updated guidance soon that advises and allows for safely increasing congregation and travel for those people who are vaccinated. My hope is that more and more people opt to get vaccinated as they see the benefits for themselves, their loved ones, and their communities. In more personal news.....I went out for some (outdoor) food and drinks with some vaccinated co-workers and had a great time. :D And now everyone is already excited to go out again.

I only have a few more weeks at this hospital. I'm feeling ready to move on. COVID census is way down. It's been a nice thing to not be witness to quite so much death (and the grief it's caused for families) in the past two weeks. Between that and getting myself vaccinated, I feel good lately.
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Massachusetts is announcing the scheduling for the remaining groups this morning and I'm excited to finally know when I'll be eligible. I'm a relatively short distance from Gillette Stadium, so I signed up for the mass vaccination site waitlist when it became available on Friday. There's a CVS and a Walgreens very close to my house, and I'm fortunate to have a pretty flexible work schedule. I'll be on every wait list possible. Let's do this.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

I have my Moderna shot scheduled for the 26th at a local Pharmacy. The other day I drove by there just after 5pm to see where it was located. I spoke to one of the nurses and she told me hang tight for a few minutes and she would see about getting me a shot then. I explained that I was not attempting to get a shot and did not want keep anyone else from getting theirs. She said there are always "no shows" and they are left with unused shots. Another nurse then told her that all the shots were taken.

Not conspiracy but just reporting what I've been told by those that have been administered the Moderna locally that it is causing a bit more side effects than the Pfizer. Fever (one person had 103F). On the flip side, my In-Laws in Missouri had both doses of the Moderna and they had no side effects.
biglovetravis
MoT Member

Post by biglovetravis »

Keep pursuing those vaccines, gang. We aren’t into the fourth quarter, so to speak, but we are getting there.

I fully expect another national surge from Spring Break.
"When things are at their darkest, pal, it's a brave man that can kick back and party." - Lt. Tuck Pendleton, Innerspace
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

[mention]yinzburgher[/mention], thanks for the updates and all you've done over the last year. I enjoy -- if that's even the correct word to use -- your informative posts.

I got my first shot today and my second is scheduled for 4/14.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Not much to add, just glad that folks are getting access to the vaccine and giving [mention]yinzburgher[/mention] a virtual hug (that would make him feel like having a Lange on his wrist haha). I have heard from multiple folks here in Atlanta, similar to what [mention]Rocat[/mention] reported, that there are always no shows, more than you'd expect, and people have been able to get their vaccines at the last minute so those shots weren't wasted. My guess is check with your local spots to figure out the best way to get those spots as I am sure nobody wants to see shots getting wasted due to no shows. Take good care everyone, and here's to the possibility of in-person watch GTG soon.....

Oh, to add - those who managed to get a last-minute first shot have been able to secure a spot for the second shot, so they won't have to rely on another no show to get it. Makes sense.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Some interesting projections for US vaccinations from the WSJ (source, paywall):
Both the production and administration of shots have picked up in recent weeks, however. Now, some 2.5 million people in the U.S. are vaccinated daily on average, up from about 500,000 in early January, though many who want a vaccine still can’t get it.

The increased output should be enough to fully vaccinate 76 million people in the U.S. in March, another 75 million in April and then 89 million more in May, according to estimates from Evercore ISI analysts. The Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines require two doses.

By midsummer, 75% of Americans 12 years old and above should be vaccinated, according to Morgan Stanley. The vaccines aren’t currently authorized for anyone younger than 16, but companies may have results this spring for studies of the shots in adolescents 12 and older, which, if positive, could lead to vaccinations for that age group. The companies are also starting to test the vaccines in children younger than 12, but results of those studies aren’t expected until late this year.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

A small anecdote on the non-patient care side of medicine during COVID.

Mrs.MoT works for a large local hospital system, in the finance and billing department.

Tomorrow she and some coworkers get to suspend their regular daily job and take 10 hours to try and put a dent into errors that the registration department has been making since at least the start of COVID vaccinations.

We're talking thousands of accounts, and the overwhelming majority of them are accounts relating to COVID (vaccinations, etc). She's not happy with registration, at all. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Sadly I have no pets
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I just received the J&J at a community vaccination event about a half hour ago. Very smoothly run operation, I was impressed. Thank you to all the healthcare professionals and volunteers working the event, and of course to all healthcare workers everywhere.

I took the shot in my right arm, and the only thing to report so far is some moderate injection site stiffness. I'll reply to this thread again if/when there are other side effects.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Good article about where things stand in regards to the vaccines and immunity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... d-vaccine/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

k.crabbe
MoT Member

Post by k.crabbe »

Got my second Pfizer shot about 12 hours ago. Had some very mild nausea. Nothing serious. Went away after a couple hours. Arm is a bit tender. So far so good.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Flying for the first time since Jan 2020. Going home to see my family in Louisiana and hopefully meet my son to be here nephew!
Honestly I booked and cancelled a few trips last year back to Louisiana because I just didn't feel safe. Didn't feel safe going to Louisiana and didn't feel safe working on healthcare then traveling then seeing my family and parents. But now that I'm vaccinated it's seriously been a weight lifted off my shoulders.
My mom received her first dose 2 days ago and my grandmother got her second yesterday. A few other family members also have theirs so it's even more of a relief.
Anyway just wanted to report here how excited I am and how much I'm looking forward to returning to normalcy.
Stay healthy everyone!

Oh and the watch I'm wearing for my flight!
20210402_053504.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:34 pm I just received the J&J at a community vaccination event about a half hour ago. Very smoothly run operation, I was impressed. Thank you to all the healthcare professionals and volunteers working the event, and of course to all healthcare workers everywhere.

I took the shot in my right arm, and the only thing to report so far is some moderate injection site stiffness. I'll reply to this thread again if/when there are other side effects.
Nothing to report other than a sore arm, a slight headache, and some moderate queasiness. All-in-all, it feels like the sensation when you think you may be coming down with a cold.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 am Flying for the first time since Jan 2020. Going home to see my family in Louisiana and hopefully meet my son to be here nephew!
Honestly I booked and cancelled a few trips last year back to Louisiana because I just didn't feel safe. Didn't feel safe going to Louisiana and didn't feel safe working on healthcare then traveling then seeing my family and parents. But now that I'm vaccinated it's seriously been a weight lifted off my shoulders.
My mom received her first dose 2 days ago and my grandmother got her second yesterday. A few other family members also have theirs so it's even more of a relief.
Anyway just wanted to report here how excited I am and how much I'm looking forward to returning to normalcy.
Stay healthy everyone!

Oh and the watch I'm wearing for my flight!

20210402_053504.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Really great to hear you're getting back to see your people. In a sense, you've been living in a changed world longer than most of us just bc of how early COVID hit your area and how bad and scary and new it was at the time. And I know you really don't need me or anyone else to tell you that you made the right decision.......but I can imagine you feeling a whole lot better about visiting now than you would have before. You don't have to be all tense about it now. Safe travels and enjoy your time off man.

And nice Omega!