We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Fuel Sniffers Anonymous (The Thread For Car Nuts)

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Fuel Sniffers Anonymous (The Thread For Car Nuts)

Post by Boourns »

Stretch44 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:18 pm Heard about this the other day but didn't watch the video. Holy hell that is fast. I did a 1:57 in my S4. Doing 147 headed up the first hill into turn one is ridiculous. It's a blind turn because you're going up a hill and then immediately turn into the Andretti Hairpin. I couldn't get myself to get over 130 there. Everytime I'd back off. Cool vid and thanks for sharing.
I've never driven Laguna IRL, but I have *many* times in Gran Turismo, and that video seemed very fast to me. Glad someone who's actually been there can confirm!

Wikipedia says the production car lap record is a McLaren Senna at 1:27 and change. So 1:30 ain't bad. Would be interested to see how much slower laps 5 and 10 are.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

As the unofficial electric guy I thought I'd share this:

https://jalopnik.com/you-dont-really-ha ... 1845245596

It's an electric motor that uses the existing motor mounts and attaches directly to the existing driveshaft. Now, this doesn't account for the biggest hurdle to converting an ICE to an EV -- the batteries -- but I think it's a cool idea that is nonetheless a step in the right direction. My Grandpa's Barracuda will be mine someday, and I hope to convert it at some point in my life so that it can be driven forever.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Boourns wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:57 am As the unofficial electric guy
I drive a (mostly) electric car, so I'll be co-unofficial electric guy. ;)
Boourns wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:57 am https://jalopnik.com/you-dont-really-ha ... 1845245596

It's an electric motor that uses the existing motor mounts and attaches directly to the existing driveshaft. Now, this doesn't account for the biggest hurdle to converting an ICE to an EV -- the batteries -- but I think it's a cool idea that is nonetheless a step in the right direction. My Grandpa's Barracuda will be mine someday, and I hope to convert it at some point in my life so that it can be driven forever.
A lot of guys are retrofitting Telsa drive units and batteries from other sources like the Chevy Bolt to their old school projects with some pretty great results.

Though, making electric adoption and retrofitting as easy and painless as possible is only going to good things for electric propulsion adoption.

Have you seen Ford's new drag car? The Mustang Cobrajet 1400 at a recent test made 1,502 peak horsepower and did the 1/4 in 8.27@168mph. Pretty impressive achievement.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:51 am
Boourns wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:57 am https://jalopnik.com/you-dont-really-ha ... 1845245596

A lot of guys are retrofitting Telsa drive units and batteries from other sources like the Chevy Bolt to their old school projects with some pretty great results.

Though, making electric adoption and retrofitting as easy and painless as possible is only going to good things for electric propulsion adoption.

Have you seen Ford's new drag car? The Mustang Cobrajet 1400 at a recent test made 1,502 peak horsepower and did the 1/4 in 8.27@168mph. Pretty impressive achievement.

I had an electric for several years but then went back to the dark side. I'm all for going electric and saving this earth for my children, but I have to admit that there is something about the smell of fuel, the sound of the engine, and that exhaust burp when you're full throttle...
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I did see this the other day. It's really cool. I am happy to see some of the other car makers start to put out these one-offs, prototypes, and concepts cars that are electric powered without looking like weirdo EV-mobiles. I really like the look of the Mach-E, even though it's weird they are calling it a mustang.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Stretch44 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:57 am

I had an electric for several years but then went back to the dark side. I'm all for going electric and saving this earth for my children, but I have to admit that there is something about the smell of fuel, the sound of the engine, and that exhaust burp when you're full throttle...
I can understand that.

I drive a Ford Fusion Energi, so not pure electric (20 miles of all-electric range) but close enough to get that wonderful experience of instant torque that an electric motor provides.

It can be pretty fun to drive, once you've learned how to get the best out of it. I put a set of Yokohama Advan Sports on it, and boy did that make a difference in road feel and handling. Since the car is essentially the same as any other Fusion, there is quite a bit of suspension goodies out there that would work. I'm tempted, but haven't taken the plunge.

Would I like to have power upgrades? Sure, but I'm a strong advocate of the ethos that driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Saw this bad boy today:

I have no idea if this is the reference, but if it is, the owner is a genius. :lol:

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

For all you fuel sniffers who look down upon NASCAR for only turning left, next year should be exciting! Typically, the only 2 road courses were Sears Point and Watkins Glen.

Next year, there are SIX road courses on the schedule! Sears Point, Watkins Glen, Indy infield, the Roval, Road America and COTA.

COTA (Circuit Of The Americas) seems like an absolutely INSANE course to pilot a high HP low downforce narrow tire car on. Let alone with 42 other cars alongside you!

Should be a really fun season, and will hopefully bring more viewership to an underrated (IMO) racing series. I too used to look down on NASCAR until I was able to appreciate the intricacies and strategy involved. Also it is nice to not see the poll winner take off and never have a lead change.

If you are a racing fan, do yourself a favor and watch a few of these road courses next year.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:23 am For all you fuel sniffers who look down upon NASCAR for only turning left, next year should be exciting! Typically, the only 2 road courses were Sears Point and Watkins Glen.

Next year, there are SIX road courses on the schedule! Sears Point, Watkins Glen, Indy infield, the Roval, Road America and COTA.

COTA (Circuit Of The Americas) seems like an absolutely INSANE course to pilot a high HP low downforce narrow tire car on. Let alone with 42 other cars alongside you!

Should be a really fun season, and will hopefully bring more viewership to an underrated (IMO) racing series. I too used to look down on NASCAR until I was able to appreciate the intricacies and strategy involved. Also it is nice to not see the poll winner take off and never have a lead change.

If you are a racing fan, do yourself a favor and watch a few of these road courses next year.

Cool. I've tried to get into NASCAR but have a hard time doing so. Intrigued by the road courses. I will admit seeing the pole winner take the podium week in and week out is pretty boring. Although the Turkey Grand Prix was exciting. You gotta admit Hamilton is beast. He took his tires 51 laps and when from sixth to first. One pit the whole race, everyone else did two.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

So I have been really offended lately. On more than one occasion, people have referred to my car(A3 3.2L) as a wagon. I'm not mad that they are referring to me as a wagon driver, I'm just mad that it's not actually a wagon! If they made it, I'd love the wagon version of this! I love wagons!

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Stretch44 wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:23 am For all you fuel sniffers who look down upon NASCAR for only turning left, next year should be exciting! Typically, the only 2 road courses were Sears Point and Watkins Glen.

Cool. I've tried to get into NASCAR but have a hard time doing so. Intrigued by the road courses. I will admit seeing the pole winner take the podium week in and week out is pretty boring. Although the Turkey Grand Prix was exciting. You gotta admit Hamilton is beast. He took his tires 51 laps and when from sixth to first. One pit the whole race, everyone else did two.
I agree. Hamilton is so good, as is his crew. At least the last few years there has been a little more parity, but those first few years of turbo engines and Mercedes running 1-2 every week got old.

But Hamilton is one hell of a driver. Fun fact, my best man could stunt double for him and he even convinced a French lady at the bar who said he looked just like him, that was his "cousin Louie"[emoji23]

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:40 pm So I have been really offended lately. On more than one occasion, people have referred to my car(A3 3.2L) as a wagon. I'm not mad that they are referring to me as a wagon driver, I'm just mad that it's not actually a wagon! If they made it, I'd love the wagon version of this! I love wagons!

The A3 does has a longer profile than a typical hatchback. So I can see that happening.
I drive a Subie Impreza, and that gets classified as a wagon on occasion.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I love wagons. We were looking at Jetta Sportwagen TDIs before we settled on the Fusion Energi.

It may not be a wagon, but it does scare the **** out of people when I'm rolling slowly through parking lots in EV mode. :lol:

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Didn't know if this should be in watch news or here... 🤷‍♂️

I had no idea this lawsuit was going on. I'm a little surprised he even tried it given the heritage and name recognition of Hamilton watches. I'm not up to speed on EU (or US) trademark laws, but seems pretty clear that Hamilton watches trademark would supercede him.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hamilton ... n-watches/
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

It's been a while. Anyone else watching the Rolex IMSA 24 hours of Daytona?!? The orange glow of brake rotors in the night are offsetting my sadness about the football season being almost over.