We're Moving!

Click for more info.

WatchCharts - Watch Price Tracker and Deal Finder

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
watchcharts

WatchCharts - Watch Price Tracker and Deal Finder

Post by watchcharts »

Hi everyone,

My name is Charles, and I'm posting here (with Matt's approval) to get feedback for a website that I run, WatchCharts.com.

We're a site that tracks watch prices on the secondary market and helps users find good pre-owned deals. Our database contains pricing for over 17,000 watches and we track sales listings from eBay, Watchuseek, Reddit WatchExchange, and other forums.

Recently, we've developed two watch discovery tools that I'd like to share with the community.

1. WatchSniper for eBay (https://watchcharts.com/sniper) - a tool that shows you watches on eBay selling for below market price. It has the ability to filter by brand, location, top rated sellers only, etc.

2. Watch Screener (https://watchcharts.com/screener) - a watch discovery tool that shows you watches that match your desired criteria. For example, here is a list of Seiko chronographs below $500

We've just built these tools a few weeks ago, so they're very new and still likely need tweaking. I'd like to get some honest feedback on whether they're useful, and what can be done to improve them.

Also try out our mobile app to browse sales listings and pricing while on the go: https://watchcharts.com/tools/app

Please feel free to share your feedback on any part of our site/app - especially if there's something that we should be improving on. I've been blown away by the support of this community just through my limited interactions on Discord. Thanks for having me!

Charles
Landed_Alien
MoT Member

Re: WatchCharts - Watch Price Tracker and Deal Finder

Post by Landed_Alien »

Hi WatchCharts,
Welcome to the MOT!

I'll start adding some feature requests here as I think of them (unless you want us to submit these through another means?)

1. In the portfolio view, it would be useful to add dummy items. If a watch isn't in your database, can they add a placeholder for a watch with a value they set.
2. Is there a way for users to submit watches to the DB? Or update incorrect details.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

This tool is truly terrific. I thought Watchrecon was, as the meme goes, a blessing from the Lord, but the amount of data and tools available with WatchCharts is really amazing. Kudos to you and your team.
I don't really have any recommendations or feedback at the moment, other than the ebay search was having some trouble, like not being able to find anything just from the brand Fortis and a couple other brands. Just a thanks for making this available and maintaining it.
watchcharts

Post by watchcharts »

Landed_Alien wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:15 pm Hi WatchCharts,
Welcome to the MOT!

I'll start adding some feature requests here as I think of them (unless you want us to submit these through another means?)

1. In the portfolio view, it would be useful to add dummy items. If a watch isn't in your database, can they add a placeholder for a watch with a value they set.
2. Is there a way for users to submit watches to the DB? Or update incorrect details.
Hi Landed_Alien,

Thanks for the response! Providing any feedback directly here is fine. To address your points:

1. This is on our todo list. In fact the portfolio feature needs somewhat of a revamp overall, which will be coming later this year.

2. You can submit these requests on our Site Feedback Forum. We'll also be adding an "edit mode" to our spec sheets soon that will allow you to more easily suggest changes!
watchcharts

Post by watchcharts »

cortman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:31 pm This tool is truly terrific. I thought Watchrecon was, as the meme goes, a blessing from the Lord, but the amount of data and tools available with WatchCharts is really amazing. Kudos to you and your team.
I don't really have any recommendations or feedback at the moment, other than the ebay search was having some trouble, like not being able to find anything just from the brand Fortis and a couple other brands. Just a thanks for making this available and maintaining it.
Thank you very much for the kind words cortman. WatchRecon was definitely ahead of its time when they first launched ten years ago, and they were an inspiration to me when I first started WatchCharts. I'm honored by the comparison!

For the eBay search issue, it is due to the fact that there are no results for those brands. In this case, I think the resolution is probably just to hide any brands from the dropdown selection that don't have any results.

Charles
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

watchcharts wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:21 pm
cortman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:31 pm This tool is truly terrific. I thought Watchrecon was, as the meme goes, a blessing from the Lord, but the amount of data and tools available with WatchCharts is really amazing. Kudos to you and your team.
Thank you very much for the kind words cortman. WatchRecon was definitely ahead of its time when they first launched ten years ago, and they were an inspiration to me when I first started WatchCharts. I'm honored by the comparison!

For the eBay search issue, it is due to the fact that there are no results for those brands. In this case, I think the resolution is probably just to hide any brands from the dropdown selection that don't have any results.

Charles
Oh, so the search is using the "brand" field in an ebay listing, not scraping the listing title, for brand. I understand now.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Thanks Charles. Really looking forward to checking this out!
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

watchcharts wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:02 pm Hi everyone,

My name is Charles, and I'm posting here (with Matt's approval) to get feedback for a website that I run, WatchCharts.com.

We're a site that tracks watch prices on the secondary market and helps users find good pre-owned deals. Our database contains pricing for over 17,000 watches and we track sales listings from eBay, Watchuseek, Reddit WatchExchange, and other forums.

Recently, we've developed two watch discovery tools that I'd like to share with the community.

1. WatchSniper for eBay (https://watchcharts.com/sniper) - a tool that shows you watches on eBay selling for below market price. It has the ability to filter by brand, location, top rated sellers only, etc.

2. Watch Screener (https://watchcharts.com/screener) - a watch discovery tool that shows you watches that match your desired criteria. For example, here is a list of Seiko chronographs below $500

We've just built these tools a few weeks ago, so they're very new and still likely need tweaking. I'd like to get some honest feedback on whether they're useful, and what can be done to improve them.

Also try out our mobile app to browse sales listings and pricing while on the go: https://watchcharts.com/tools/app

Please feel free to share your feedback on any part of our site/app - especially if there's something that we should be improving on. I've been blown away by the support of this community just through my limited interactions on Discord. Thanks for having me!

Charles
[mention]watchcharts[/mention]

Hi Charles. Cool site, nice work. I like that I can filter listings by price but I think it would be great to also see listings that can be sorted by price. I was able to sort models by price but not listings by price. Thanks!
watchcharts

Post by watchcharts »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:32 pm Hi Charles. Cool site, nice work. I like that I can filter listings by price but I think it would be great to also see listings that can be sorted by price. I was able to sort models by price but not listings by price. Thanks!
Hi, I agree this should be done. We're working on a few improvements to the way we show listings, this will be added in the next iteration (most likely within the next couple weeks).

In the meantime, you do have the ability to filter by price as an alternative.

Thanks for your feedback!