We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Bed Sheet Advice?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Bed Sheet Advice?

Post by BostonCharlie »

It has been years decades since I bought bed sheets -- because my former spouse bought them, lol. There are so many options and prices, I am bewildered. I imagine that the market is similar to the watch market: there are deals and there are non-deals, quality sheets and "fashion" sheets. Any advice for a new bachelor would be appreciated.

FWIW, a 2004 review in the WSJ gave top marks to the Legends Luxury Collection at The Company Store. The Sateen Extra Deep Sheet Set by Wamsutta from Bed Bath & Beyond took Best Value.

Update to add that the most recent customer reviews for the Wamsutta sheets did not square with the high expectations I had after reading the above (very old) product review. I developed the impression that quality has slipped at Wamsutta, which isn't a surprise considering it is a Bed Bath & Beyond house label and BB&B has been struggling.
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Bed Sheet Advice?

Post by MoT »

I've never put much thought into bedsheets, and Mrs.MoT never really has either, so I won't be much help.

We usually just buy whatever jersey/t-shirt material sheets happen to be on sale at the big-box retailer we happen to be in. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

The first place I usually go for just about anything is Wirecutter at least to get a sense of what's out there. For sheets, we really like their budget pick from Target. It's like $50 for a queen set and $60 for a king. They come in sold and prints. Here are the solids: https://www.target.com/p/400-thread-cou ... nk=sametab

These are better than anything we have tried, but I don't think I have ever spent more that about $120 on a set, so I can't speak to anything over that price point.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

If you're a hot sleeper, try Columbia cooling sheets from Kohl's. They really work. https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-30479 ... us&prdPV=2

I'm a fan of jersey and flannel sheets myself.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

get-your-martha-on.jpg
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Usually scope out the clearance endcap of Target for sheets in our house.
Try bamboo, we have a set and quite like it.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

All I know:
  • Higher thread count = softer and better (800-1000+ best)
  • 100% cotton better than blends, and Egyptian cotton good provided it is "long staple" variety
  • Fitted sheets with "deep" pockets or elastic straps keep bottom sheet in place
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Thanks for the advice. Based on the little I learned and based very much on customer reviews, I ordered some Ralph Lauren Spencer sheets that were on sale at Macy's (Queen size set for $76 before tax). I buy my clothes at Wal-Mart, but for some reason I want to try higher quality sheets. Those sheets at Target look good, too -- very good reviews (bad reviews are like: "after two years they're getting thin!" Dude, buy new sheets okay?). I'll probably pick those up as well. The RL sheets are sateen, which I read is better in the winter, less comfortable in the summer, so I'll need something for summer (ah, summer!).

Update to add that I was hasty to order from Macy's -- Belk has them for $68 here.