We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID Vaccine Poll & Discussion

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.

COVID Vaccine

I have had it or am receiving it
65%
I wish to receive it when available to me
35%
I am unsure if I should receive it
No votes
I will not take the vaccine
No votes

Total votes: 20
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: COVID Vaccine Poll & Discussion

Post by TheJohnP »

Once they opened up vaccines in GA to anyone 16 and up, my wife was able to schedule and got her first shot yesterday. Now they're going ahead and scheduling the second shot at the first visit.

Wish that was the same for me, been stalking the appointment site for what seems like weeks. Thankfully I landed an appointment for next Thursday.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Thrax
MoT Member

Post by Thrax »

It has now been one full week since I got my second dose of Pfizer, and I feel great. I had some arm tenderness and light fatigue in the first 24H, but that's not uncommon when your immune system is prompted to mount a defense for developing immunity. Well worth the minor inconvenience to know that I'm no longer at risk of contracting a potentially severe virus.

My poor wife works in the emergency department at a local hospital. She's seen more death in one year than most people could possibly see in a lifetime. Little kids struggling to breathe. Elderly patients drowning on their own lung mucous, unable to see their loved ones d/t infection. Vibrant young adults laid low by a virus they thought was no big deal.

All of it has taken an incredible mental toll on her, and our family, and the loved ones of all the sick and passed. While it is true that COVID is largely asymptomatic, sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's a killer, and the odds are more serious than most people want to think about. Around 1% sounds small, but what if I handed you a bag of 100 skittles and told you one would kill you? Or give you unpleasant symptoms for months or years? I'm not dumb. I wouldn't eat that bag of skittles. I can wait for another bag.

America has still lost 500,000 of its own countrymen to this disease. Not to mention the global toll. I'm finding peace in the fact that I've done my part to ensure that no human could contract covid-19 from me, and I will continue to take all necessary science-backed steps to ensure that going forward.

I can be patient. I will be. But for now, I'm thrilled to be vaccinated and looking forward to my first get-together with friends next month.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Thrax wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:22 pm It has now been one full week since I got my second dose of Pfizer, and I feel great. I had some arm tenderness and light fatigue in the first 24H, but that's not uncommon when your immune system is prompted to mount a defense for developing immunity. Well worth the minor inconvenience to know that I'm no longer at risk of contracting a potentially severe virus.

My poor wife works in the emergency department at a local hospital. She's seen more death in one year than most people could possibly see in a lifetime. Little kids struggling to breathe. Elderly patients drowning on their own lung mucous, unable to see their loved ones d/t infection. Vibrant young adults laid low by a virus they thought was no big deal.

All of it has taken an incredible mental toll on her, and our family, and the loved ones of all the sick and passed. While it is true that COVID is largely asymptomatic, sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's a killer, and the odds are more serious than most people want to think about. Around 1% sounds small, but what if I handed you a bag of 100 skittles and told you one would kill you? Or give you unpleasant symptoms for months or years? I'm not dumb. I wouldn't eat that bag of skittles. I can wait for another bag.

America has still lost 500,000 of its own countrymen to this disease. Not to mention the global toll. I'm finding peace in the fact that I've done my part to ensure that no human could contract covid-19 from me, and I will continue to take all necessary science-backed steps to ensure that going forward.

I can be patient. I will be. But for now, I'm thrilled to be vaccinated and looking forward to my first get-together with friends next month.
Thanks for sharing. It is very informative to know more about how the situation is outside of one's world/bubble (my bubble is quite small). I think they say you could still be a spreader with immunity but you should be fine if still taking all necsseary science-backed steps.
Thrax
MoT Member

Post by Thrax »

Yes, current research suggests the vaccinated can be a carrier, but will no longer be at risk of serious or fatal infection. Clinical trials have SUGGESTED that vaccinated people can get COVID, but trials have also shown that the vaccine greatly reduces the severity and duration to a manageable level. All the vaccines were 100% effective at stopping serious, critical, fatal infections.

Lots more data is required, so it's on the cautious side to say we truly don't have conclusive proof yet if the vaccine actually prevents people from being a carrier. That's why masks and distancing continue to be recommended, because you don't really know the genetic or comorbidity rate of another person.

But we do know that it's safe for vaccinated individuals to meet, unmasked, just like they would have before the pandemic! This is because the risk of transmission with two mutually vaccinated people is so low as to be a non-issue. In fact, the risk for COVID w/ vaccine is lower than polio w/ vaccine.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Got my second shot this afternoon. Arm is a tad sore, but we'll see how I am in the morning.
But according to this news article from CNBC, the CEO from Pfizer says that a third shot is likely.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/pfizer- ... onths.html
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find