Texas (and surrounding) Snowmageddon check in

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Boourns
MoT Member

Texas (and surrounding) Snowmageddon check in

Post by Boourns »

I know we have a few members who are in Texas and surrounding states. Everyone survive the winter storm alright?

We had one very cold night and a couple of pipes go, but we bundled up and Allstate will be paying for a new floor in the kitchen. Our plumber was able to get everything fixed and the water back on by Saturday evening. We are in much better shape than a lot of people, so I am thankful.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
pdsf
MoT Member

Re: Texas (and surrounding) Snowmageddon check in

Post by pdsf »

Thanks for starting this thread, and glad to hear things are relatively okay.

I should have enquired earlier. I see you and BostonCharlie posting during (my) stolen moments in life and I sorta assumed things are "alright" but nice to get an update and confirmation.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

All good in Texas now. but lots of people looking for contractors to fix damage from last week. about 100,000 people were still without power on Monday, not sure what the status is now.

Yesterday hit 81 degrees in North Texas and it was low of -2 exactly one week before.

Thanks for asking [mention]pdsf[/mention]
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

valuewatchguy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:36 pm
Yesterday hit 81 degrees in North Texas and it was low of -2 exactly one week before.
That is bananas!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

valuewatchguy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:36 pm Yesterday hit 81 degrees in North Texas and it was low of -2 exactly one week before.
That's a Minnesota swing, except the -2 would be the high.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Sorry to hear about your broken pipes, [mention]Boourns[/mention]. We lucked out with just rolling blackouts. My mother's car was parked outside, and when I moved it the other day it left a strange liquid trail originating from under the car. She hasn't been driving, so I'll look at it this weekend. Visiting Walmart this weekend, they had *no* milk. Visiting Kroger this afternoon they were unloading whole milk for $1/gallon. Checking in on our electricity provider, CoServ, it looks like our plan isn't one of these variable rate plans that are leaving some poor souls with astronomical electric bills. Sure there is the fine print, but who would imagine $21 electricity would jump to $9000, as it did? I expect we'll see some moves to distribute these burdens.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 pm
valuewatchguy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:36 pm Yesterday hit 81 degrees in North Texas and it was low of -2 exactly one week before.
Do you use block heaters or anything special for your cars?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 pm
Do you use block heaters or anything special for your cars?
Some people do, but it's not really needed on modern vehicles. (I would still use in on a diesel-powered vehicle, though.) Other than that, it's a good idea to make sure your engine coolant is suitable for cold temperatures, along with your washer fluid. Running a thinner oil in the winter is helpful too.

Here is a video of our previous daily driver, a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis with 247k miles. It had been sitting for over 24 hours at -28 degrees. No block heater.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 pm Sorry to hear about your broken pipes, @Boourns. We lucked out with just rolling blackouts. My mother's car was parked outside, and when I moved it the other day it left a strange liquid trail originating from under the car. She hasn't been driving, so I'll look at it this weekend. Visiting Walmart this weekend, they had *no* milk. Visiting Kroger this afternoon they were unloading whole milk for $1/gallon. Checking in on our electricity provider, CoServ, it looks like our plan isn't one of these variable rate plans that are leaving some poor souls with astronomical electric bills. Sure there is the fine print, but who would imagine $21 electricity would jump to $9000, as it did? I expect we'll see some moves to distribute these burdens.
Hope your mom's car is OK and hope you snagged some cheap milk!

We're also on a fixed-rate plan, thankfully. Glad to see there's already lawsuits being filed against the variable rate electric companies. I should end my commentary of Texas' "deregulated" electricity market there before I verge into topics best discussed elsewhere. :lol:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

Coming in late here. I'm in Houston. Oddly enough, pretty much all the neighborhoods surrounding my house lost power but somehow my house was spared. I chalk it up to good clean living. Just kidding. I was lucky.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

BruceR wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 am Coming in late here. I'm in Houston. Oddly enough, pretty much all the neighborhoods surrounding my house lost power but somehow my house was spared. I chalk it up to good clean living. Just kidding. I was lucky.
Must be your electrifying personality.
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

pdsf wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:22 am
BruceR wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 am Coming in late here. I'm in Houston. Oddly enough, pretty much all the neighborhoods surrounding my house lost power but somehow my house was spared. I chalk it up to good clean living. Just kidding. I was lucky.
I guarantee that is not the case. I'm so boring that I find getting good deals on watches to be interesting.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BruceR wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:41 am
pdsf wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:22 am
I guarantee that is not the case. I'm so boring that I find getting good deals on watches to be interesting.
Someone should start a website on that theme.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT