We're Moving!

Click for more info.

True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: True Confessions

Post by Sporkboy »

I admit that I went to several comic cons (San Diego) in the late ‘90s (not a confession).

I do confess that I went more for anime/cartoon reasons than comic reasons. Still, I loved it. I hear that the con has changed a lot and I confess that I don’t want to go to another one and see all that has changed in the course of 20 years. So I guess that I confess to wanting to keep this memory and live in the past with regards to comic con.

I also confess that I attended one dressed in my Jedi robes.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I confess that I have misplaced 3 blank dials for the MOT watch. I have new labels to test, but can’t find the damn dials.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 am I also confess that I attended one dressed in my Jedi robes.
To be completely honest [mention]Sporkboy[/mention], if I found out otherwise I would have been a little disappointed. Nobody here wants a normal, average, and boring Sporkboy. Somewhere in between "a little quirky" and "downright weird" is perfect. 👍
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 am I admit that I went to several comic cons (San Diego) in the late ‘90s (not a confession).

I do confess that I went more for anime/cartoon reasons than comic reasons. Still, I loved it. I hear that the con has changed a lot and I confess that I don’t want to go to another one and see all that has changed in the course of 20 years. So I guess that I confess to wanting to keep this memory and live in the past with regards to comic con.

I also confess that I attended one dressed in my Jedi robes.
I have never been to one, I only think I know what they are. However, I am a big Star Wars fan. I traveled a lot in my previous job and once ended up at a conference at the same time as the big Star Wars "convention" (in Indianapolis, I think). That was cool. You couldn't walk into a bar without seeing stormtroopers, Bobba Fetts, Vaders, Jedi, etc :lol: .
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

I bought a deal ( Edox chrono) with the mindset of flipping it, but I am having second thoughts ( each time I look at the photo, did not ship yet) will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

I'm thinking of returning an SKX175 that I ordered from Amazon, so I can get a Sharkey (Heimdallr) 6105 homage instead. The NH35A and sapphire for fifty bucks less are very attractive.

Am I nuts?
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

larand wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:13 pm I'm thinking of returning an SKX175 that I ordered from Amazon, so I can get a Sharkey (Heimdallr) 6105 homage instead. The NH35A and sapphire for fifty bucks less are very attractive.

Am I nuts?
I'm not sure if you're looking for advice, but here's mine anyway. I'd much rather have an original piece than a replica of a superior watch. Whenever I look at my wrist I would rather be reminded of what my watch is, rather than what it isn't. I also think you would pay your respect for the design of a watch better by admiring it from afar than by supporting a company that rips it off from its original designers and profits by it. I will admit, however, that my hatred for fakery is somewhat irrationally strong; you might not be as offended by it as I am.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

sistem_32 wrote: I'm not sure if you're looking for advice, but here's mine anyway. I'd much rather have an original piece than a replica of a superior watch. Whenever I look at my wrist I would rather be reminded of what my watch is, rather than what it isn't. I also think you would pay your respect for the design of a watch better by admiring it from afar than by supporting a company that rips it off from its original designers and profits by it. I will admit, however, that my hatred for fakery is somewhat irrationally strong; you might not be as offended by it as I am.
The urge may already have passed, but thanks very much for your thoughts.

I was thinking about it largely because objectively, name aside, the Sharkey specs are better, and it's less expensive. If it had a cheap Chinese junk movement, I wouldn't even consider it, but it's got an NH35, and generally positive reviews. But yes, you do have to be clear about what it is. Brand name lovers will not find happiness therein.

As for the homage aspect, it's interesting to me that apart from the recent Ginault kerfuffle, nobody seems to object to endless Submariner homages, but the Sharkey stuff divides opinion. If it's really good enough at $159 to fool anyone into thinking it's a Seiko even without the Seiko name on it, when the official reissue is $4K and change, I'm not sure the homage is where the real problem is.

But as always, your mileage may vary. That's what makes this hobby so endlessly entertaining (not to mention addicting and expensive). :-)

Tap. Talk. Buy a watch. Repeat.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

If it wasn't for all the sub homages there wouldn't be much variety in WISdom, eerrrr horology.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

larand wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:26 pm
sistem_32 wrote: I'm not sure if you're looking for advice, but here's mine anyway. I'd much rather have an original piece than a replica of a superior watch. Whenever I look at my wrist I would rather be reminded of what my watch is, rather than what it isn't. I also think you would pay your respect for the design of a watch better by admiring it from afar than by supporting a company that rips it off from its original designers and profits by it. I will admit, however, that my hatred for fakery is somewhat irrationally strong; you might not be as offended by it as I am.
The urge may already have passed, but thanks very much for your thoughts.

I was thinking about it largely because objectively, name aside, the Sharkey specs are better, and it's less expensive. If it had a cheap Chinese junk movement, I wouldn't even consider it, but it's got an NH35, and generally positive reviews. But yes, you do have to be clear about what it is. Brand name lovers will not find happiness therein.

As for the homage aspect, it's interesting to me that apart from the recent Ginault kerfuffle, nobody seems to object to endless Submariner homages, but the Sharkey stuff divides opinion. If it's really good enough at $159 to fool anyone into thinking it's a Seiko even without the Seiko name on it, when the official reissue is $4K and change, I'm not sure the homage is where the real problem is.

But as always, your mileage may vary. That's what makes this hobby so endlessly entertaining (not to mention addicting and expensive). :-)

Tap. Talk. Buy a watch. Repeat.
I love my Heimdallr Trident Shark CW Trident homage. Incredible value for the money, and I have been tempted by their Sharkmaster M300 homage.

That 6105 is much less if you buy from Taobao through Superbuy. Should run you no more than $120 to $125 shipped. This is Heimdallr's store https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1 ... aobao_shop
Sporkboy
MoT Member

True Confessions

Post by Sporkboy »

Sporkboy wrote:I confess that I have misplaced 3 blank dials for the MOT watch. I have new labels to test, but can’t find the damn dials.
I confess that I disassembled 5 more watches and primed the dials. Only then was it that I was able to find the 3 missing dials. Now I have 8 dials ready for decals!Image
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I just realized that a G-Shock can would make a good travel case. I'm only excited about this because I now feel like I've been getting free watch rolls all this time.

Image from the interwebs. Mine look like this, with fitted foam rubber padding and a circle cut to allow the watch to lie sideways:

So much more useful than a presentation box.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

My solution has been these $2.50 zipper cases with a ~2” length of foam pipe insulation to keep the watch in place.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3299129082

BostonCharlie wrote:I just realized that a G-Shock can would make a good travel case. I'm only excited about this because I now feel like I've been getting free watch rolls all this time.

Image from the interwebs. Mine look like this, with fitted foam rubber padding and a circle cut to allow the watch to lie sideways:

So much more useful than a presentation box.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Any other browser multi-tab users keep the same watch page open in the first tab for days at a time? Either trying to resist buying it or trying to get up the urge to pull the trigger? I think I'm about 5 days now on the new Boulder Expedition pre-order being the first Chrome tab on my phone :)
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

I am “sinking about” selling all my prized Swiss made watches, and sticking to the beaters. Less stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.