We're Moving!

Click for more info.

True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
cortman
MoT Member

Re: True Confessions

Post by cortman »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:47 pm Such is my obsession (or pathology), that earlier today when I got in my car and opened up my navigation app, I immediately typed in "Seiko". 🤦‍♂️
I laughed out loud in the office at this. Now that's getting serious! :lol:
My latest confession is that I am making a try at WPAC this year, at least for the first quarter or half year. We'll see how that goes! :cry:
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TC: Unlike the majority of members here, I was a deal guy before I was a watch guy.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Sent back my CW65 for repairs. Hopefully. It'll be my first time sending anything back.

I'm a bit nervous no lie.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

This is as bad as it's gotten:

I received my credit card statement today and noticed that there was a purchase of a watch last month. Had you asked me before receiving the statement, I would have said that I hadn't bought a watch last month, but the store and the price jogged my memory. I did indeed buy a watch!

However, I have no recollection of what watch it was.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:56 pm This is as bad as it's gotten:

I received my credit card statement today and noticed that there was a purchase of a watch last month. Had you asked me before receiving the statement, I would have said that I hadn't bought a watch last month, but the store and the price jogged my memory. I did indeed buy a watch!

However, I have no recollection of what watch it was.
Haha! This has happened to me as well. You could probably look through you emails to figure it out. But my suggestion.......just let it be a nice surprise!
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

whoagorgeous wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:37 pm Sent back my CW65 for repairs. Hopefully. It'll be my first time sending anything back.

I'm a bit nervous no lie.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I hope they take good care of you and the watch. I have one CW and probably see another in my future. Please keep us posted!
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I dislike the looks of tritium.
Really dislike the looks of tritium.
But a sub-$400 Ball watch deal makes me consider picking one up regardless.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I really dislike the Timex Weekender. Too much dial and those dinky lugs makes it look awkward to me. Maybe it is all of the space on the dial. The expedition line is more my speed.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

I picked up one of these from Lard & Failure over the holidays.
https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/h3 ... -auto.html

Missing the crystal's plastic, nothing else I can see amiss. $333. I'd been wanting a 2834-ish watch (been checking the Orient Lexingtons and such too), and this one is an actual non-Powermatic 2834. Doing about +6s/d. My interest in getting any other watches has since dropped to about zero. I own a grand total which lets me wear a different one each day of the week and I'm more interested in getting rid of a few than getting more. I check the deals thread now and then, but even that recent Alpina order cancellation side-quest did nothing for me. I think I'm good for now.

I don't plan to vanish, 'cause you're a good bunch. My funds're just gonna be feeding other interests, I think.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

While taking a peek at the Impeachment trial (not getting political here) I was more interested in trying to find out what watch Justice Roberts is wearing. Turns out its a Patek Philippe Reference 5205G Annual Calendar.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:51 pm I picked up one of these from Lard & Failure over the holidays.
https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/h3 ... -auto.html

Missing the crystal's plastic, nothing else I can see amiss. $333. I'd been wanting a 2834-ish watch (been checking the Orient Lexingtons and such too), and this one is an actual non-Powermatic 2834. Doing about +6s/d. My interest in getting any other watches has since dropped to about zero. I own a grand total which lets me wear a different one each day of the week and I'm more interested in getting rid of a few than getting more. I check the deals thread now and then, but even that recent Alpina order cancellation side-quest did nothing for me. I think I'm good for now.

I don't plan to vanish, 'cause you're a good bunch. My funds're just gonna be feeding other interests, I think.
First of all, that's a great acquisition. Not only do I like that case, but I also love gold hands and indices on white or silver dials. And of course the symmetry only helps its good looks. And a great size at 40mm. I had a Viewmatic with the same or similar case but mine was beat up and the dial didn't look as nice as yours. A pic from your link here.

But second, I think many on this forum and plenty other collectors might consider you to be in an enviable position. I think there people that would love to stop buying and just don't seem to be able to. Speaking for myself, I have difficulty with it. All this buying is fine now but if I continue my current rate without increasing my selling, it soon won't be ok. It's not that I'm never satisfied or content, but that my contentment is fleeting......just until I notice my nest crush become available at the right price. Glad you're hanging around. I think there's plenty to see and do and talk about here besides the deals thread and given some time, I'm hoping others may notice that too.

Last, I also had a good experience with L and T. I didn't want to mention anything in the deals thread lest I be run out of town with torches and pitchforks. But I kept finding myself surprised with the expectations people had when buying watches from department stores. It's crossed my mind to start a thread about it, and I may some point. If everything turns out well when I order from a department store, I'm very pleasantly surprised. I would much rather order from Jomashop, Ashford, Gemnation, etc. Retailers that know the expectations of watch collectors. Macy's and the like do not have watch people working for them. In most cases they have zero idea that they are shipping a delicate little mechanical wonder that could be considered a luxury product. And if something is missing, a warranty card for example, zero effort will be made to find it. They have a whole stack of appliances, toys, and clothing that needs to be packed up to get on the truck. My disclaimer: I'm not saying this is how it should be. I'm saying this is how it is.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I keep ordering a watch, the.n ordering the parts to fix it and in the interim, I misplace the watch. By the time I find the watch again, who knows where the parts will be. I need to be more organized.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I'll start shopping for straps for a watch that:
1) hasn't yet delivered
2) still not convinced I'm going to keep.
Click Icon To Contact Me

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Over the holidays I bought a G-Shock that comes in a tin can like so many others. I showed it to my wife who exclaimed "HaHa you bought a watch in a can" Funny when you think about it. Yeah Haha, I said. She replied "Tell your watch buddies about it, they have probably never seen anything like that." Aha! OK.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

PetWatch wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:31 pm Over the holidays I bought a G-Shock that comes in a tin can like so many others. I showed it to my wife who exclaimed "HaHa you bought a watch in a can" Funny when you think about it. Yeah Haha, I said. She replied "Tell your watch buddies about it, they have probably never seen anything like that." Aha! OK.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Click Icon To Contact Me