True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

True Confessions

Post by Sporkboy »

I confess that I am now tempted to make a thermally insulated watch roll.

I further confess that I am too tired to spin this topic into a proper thread.

I would vote for something with a long battery life and classic looks....[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 67fe16.jpg[/IMG]
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Re: True Confessions

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

"Of course there's the 37mm automatic Seiko SNK805, currently $68 w/ mfg. warranty from Amazon"
-----------

But it ain't gonna keep wound if you leave it in the glove box.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:"Of course there's the 37mm automatic Seiko SNK805, currently $68 w/ mfg. warranty from Amazon"
-----------

But it ain't gonna keep wound if you leave it in the glove box.
I think the idea is that you wouldn’t need to worry about the battery dying in an automatic watch.

I would worry about temperature fluctuations in New England and the freezing temps of the winter and the glovebox high temps of the summer couldn’t be good for a movement. Digital might be a good choice, though batteries die.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:14 am
BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:31 pm I didn't think it would happen to me, but the more watches I own, the more I want to buy.
Any idea how it happened? Is there something that is pushing you in that direction now or was suppressing that urge previously? Could it have anything to do with forums? The other day on my drive I was thinking about typing up a post called "In defense of a large collection." Earlier that day I had been looking at and trying on a lot of my watches and I was just incredibly happy with them. I had the thought that I didn't want to ever get rid of any of them. They all looked so cool and unique and the fact that I owned all of them was a reminder that of how fortunate I am. And this wasn't just some isolated moment. I've thought and felt the same things many times before. Then occasionally (much less often) I look at all of them and all I can think about is the dysfunction that must be present in my brain to have bought so many of these similar objects that I don't really need and then obsess about them. The impracticality is glaring. I go from thinking how fortunate I am to have all these items to becoming jealous of those people that have only 1 or 2 or 3 watches.
I think part of it was overcoming my initial prejudice against having a large collection. But at the moment I am being pulled along by having discovered something new and then wanting to go all in.

A couple weeks ago I got a strong itch for a quartz analog alarm chronograph. So I picked up what I thought would be my match, a Citizen AT, but that was just too much -- back it went. Today a sensible Seiko SNAF03 arrived via eBay. As I'm playing with it I discover the chrono movement is smooth. I keep fooling with it until I decide to just leave the chrono running in sync with the small seconds. Suddenly I'm smitten -- it's like the Accutron I've always wanted (it's not that smooth, really). But now I see chronographs in a new light, and want to learn (and own) more.
konax
MoT Member

Post by konax »

Yesterday I was in a cave (touristy thing) and was wondering what if I got lost/stuck there and lost track of time. Then decided I definitely need a watch with 24 hour hand (explorer II type) and definitely with tritium tubes, 'cos you can't trust regular lume in such place, right? After I got back I spent a good amount of time researching available watches.

I have to admit this kind of thing happens way too often [emoji52]
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

konax wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:45 am Yesterday I was in a cave (touristy thing) and was wondering what if I got lost/stuck there and lost track of time. Then decided I definitely need a watch with 24 hour hand (explorer II type) and definitely with tritium tubes, 'cos you can't trust regular lume in such place, right? After I got back I spent a good amount of time researching available watches.

----

Alternatively, stay out of caves.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

konax wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:45 am Yesterday I was in a cave (touristy thing) and was wondering what if I got lost/stuck there and lost track of time. Then decided I definitely need a watch with 24 hour hand (explorer II type) and definitely with tritium tubes, 'cos you can't trust regular lume in such place, right? After I got back I spent a good amount of time researching available watches.

I think you have come up with a perfectly good rationalization for a situation that requires a specialty watch. We should start a new thread, "Watches in case you get stuck in a cave" so that we can all debate the best watch and then add one to our collection!

That being said, that tritium watch might be more of a curse than a blessing. If I'm in complete darkness other than the watch, I'm going to be looking at the watch constantly, and time will pass by VERY slowly. The worse way to pass time is to watch your watch. :lol:
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

konax wrote:Yesterday I was in a cave (touristy thing) and was wondering what if I got lost/stuck there and lost track of time. Then decided I definitely need a watch with 24 hour hand (explorer II type) and definitely with tritium tubes, 'cos you can't trust regular lume in such place, right? After I got back I spent a good amount of time researching available watches.

Nearly any digital has a 24 hr mode and backlight. See how much money you just saved.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:40 am

----

Alternatively, stay out of caves.

Or go to the right caves like Ruby Falls or Cathedral Caverns.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Caves=Graves once your opposition finds the ventilation. Heard that today and thought of this thread lol.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I don’t own a Seiko (lightning crashes).
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

FTE wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:59 am I don’t own a Seiko (lightning crashes).
Whaaaa????? :o :shock:
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

FTE wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:59 am I don’t own a Seiko (lightning crashes).
Similarly, I've never owned an SKX.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I have never owned an SKX either, and I have no desire for one. Dive watches aren’t my thing. I have an Invicta 8926 that I keep modifying and that is it as far as divers go unless you count a GShock (which I don’t). I feel more comfortable with field watches.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:24 am I have never owned an SKX either, and I have no desire for one. Dive watches aren’t my thing. I have an Invicta 8926 that I keep modifying and that is it as far as divers go unless you count a GShock (which I don’t). I feel more comfortable with field watches.
Kinda funny...I never liked dive watches either, and then I wound up getting a vintage Buler diver...after that I developed a craving for other dive watches. Now I own a box of them. I still have days when I prefer dress watches, or anything but a diver...but some days I really want a dive watch on my wrist. Oddly parallels my journey with red and white wine...used to hate white wines, now have an appreciation and occasional craving for them. And on to whisky...I never liked peated or smoky scotches, but after a weekend camping with a bottle of Lagavulin 16, there is a place in my life for peat and smoke.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr