We're Moving!

Click for more info.

True Confessions

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: True Confessions

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:TC - A while back I ran across this post at the link below over on WUS. Since then I've thought about it a fairly often. I hope things are improved for whoever posted it. Every once in a while I wonder if I should follow suit.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f530/plea ... 97763.html
Don't. Ever. Think. That. Again. We need you around here bud! If it helps, it IS possible to find deals and not buy them. I myself have gone from an average of 2 a month to 0 in 6 months. Well, I bought a couple to flip for profit hopefully and a couple I modded as gifts, but nothing for me.

The trick for me was enjoying what I already had and modding watches for gifts. The mods really kept the passion alive and prolonged that feeling by having to wait for parts and whatnot.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Dub Rubb wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:00 pm
yinzburgher wrote:TC - A while back I ran across this post at the link below over on WUS. Since then I've thought about it a fairly often. I hope things are improved for whoever posted it. Every once in a while I wonder if I should follow suit.

Don't. Ever. Think. That. Again. We need you around here bud! If it helps, it IS possible to find deals and not buy them. I myself have gone from an average of 2 a month to 0 in 6 months. Well, I bought a couple to flip for profit hopefully and a couple I modded as gifts, but nothing for me.

The trick for me was enjoying what I already had and modding watches for gifts. The mods really kept the passion alive and prolonged that feeling by having to wait for parts and whatnot.
Probably not something that's actually in danger of happening but something I think about. Hopefully it never gets to be that much of a problem. And for me it's less about the flipping and spending money.....although that's part of it..... but I've been fairly fortunate with work and finances. It's more about the obsessing, researching, ruminating. I'll always be crazy about watches and deals but I just need to get back to a time when my interests were more varied and involved less internet, less glowing screens, less retail. I think its worth thinking about how much of my day and my life should be focused on watches and forums vs everything else in this world. Its cliched, but we only have so much time. Anyway, I'll slowly be figuring out how to get to a better balance and working towards it. But for sure I'll be here plenty...still love it. The modding is actually a great suggestion and part of my previous strategy that I have unfortunately gotten away from. 👍
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I suppose like most of you here, I enjoy the watch hobby immensely, but, like any passion, at times it can get the better of us.

On occasion I need to take a brake to regain the upper hand, rediscover there is more out there and that I can survive without a watch obsession. Soon enough to again return, balance regained.

Imagine that!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

I don't buy ALL the watches I post on Heads Up--just too many of them!
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:I don't buy ALL the watches I post on Heads Up--just too many of them!
Glad you cleared that up. I was thinking that it may have been due to it being a smidgen above your watch budget for the month.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Probably not something that's actually in danger of happening but something I think about. Hopefully it never gets to be that much of a problem. And for me it's less about the flipping and spending money.....although that's part of it..... but I've been fairly fortunate with work and finances. It's more about the obsessing, researching, ruminating. I'll always be crazy about watches and deals but I just need to get back to a time when my interests were more varied and involved less internet, less glowing screens, less retail. I think its worth thinking about how much of my day and my life should be focused on watches and forums vs everything else in this world. Its cliched, but we only have so much time. Anyway, I'll slowly be figuring out how to get to a better balance and working towards it. But for sure I'll be here plenty...still love it. The modding is actually a great suggestion and part of my previous strategy that I have unfortunately gotten away from. [emoji106]
I admit to having a similar trait. I can get too involved with screens and watch related things. Addiction/obsession/collecting runs in my family so I really have to be careful. Know that you aren’t the only one that reflects upon this sort of topic.

Moderation can be hard to find, but a well rounded life probably has room for some amount of watch fascination.
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

I just sold my only automatic chronograph, I (like most people) have no use for it’s functions, and prefer a clean dial, not to mention the future service cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I admit that I wore a wristwatch and a pocketwatch today (at the same time) just so that I could be LWDS compliant.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:I admit that I wore a wristwatch and a pocketwatch today (at the same time) just so that I could be LWDS compliant.
That's amazing. I had know idea that you rocked BOTH of them today! Due to your commitment to and support of the cause, I hereby welcome you into the High Order of LWDS.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I'm a family man, but I just had a drink so I could make SURE to be LWDS compliant today 8-) . [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention] 's rules...I just follow them.
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

Thinning the herd: sold one and bought four.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

WhaleTail wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:47 am Thinning the herd: sold one and bought four.
Ha! Yep, that's pretty much how I do it too.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Sold none and bought four.
WhaleTail
MoT Member

True Confessions

Post by WhaleTail »

I watch my 401K fluctuate by thousands: no big deal, yet it bothers me if I miss out on a $5 code.

Last edited by WhaleTail on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

1) I have not seen half of my collection for over 5 years since relocating to Munich.

2) They are in a safe....and I do not remember the combination.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr