As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Best advice you have heard

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Best advice you have heard

Post by watchpalooza »

Often there is wisdom imparted in the quips, snipes and quick replies online. What advice have you found especially wise? For me, two come to mind:

Related to this hobby: “Buy the watch, not the deal”

And for dating (metaphorically unless you live in one small part of Arkansas): “Why buy the cow when you can rent the farm”
Last edited by watchpalooza on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: Best advice you have heard

Post by Dub Rubb »

FTE wrote:Often there is wisdom imparted in the quips, snipes and quick replies online. What advice have you found especially wise? For me, two come to mind:

And for dating (metaphorically unless you libe in Arkansas): “Why buy the cow when you can rent the farm”
I will second your "buy the watch, not the deal" that was a game changer to me. But there is nothing better than buying the watch AND the deal. Stars align sometimes (just ask the lucky Kontiki deal buyers of yesteryear).

I am gonna marinate on this a while and check back in. I know I have something forum acceptable somewhere in my brain.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

The best advice I've heard is not to own more than one watch.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

squincher wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:13 am The best advice I've heard is not to own more than one watch.
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/1zgOyLCRx ... /giphy.gif[/img]
I wish that watch were 38mm?
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

I live my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Maybe I'm just impressionable. I remember being impressed with "buy the watch, not the deal," but then I remember being impressed by RyanD's case for "buy the deal!" I wish I could find his post on Watchuseek. Together they make a sort of yin/yang riddle. The first requires you know the watch you're looking for, i.e., what you want. The second requires you know what is truly a deal, i.e., what you can sell later and not lose money.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

My old man tried his best to ingrain "Speak little yet say much." in to his sons.

It worked.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:34 am
FTE wrote:Often there is wisdom imparted in the quips, snipes and quick replies online. What advice have you found especially wise? For me, two come to mind:

And for dating (metaphorically unless you libe in Arkansas): “Why buy the cow when you can rent the farm”
I will second your "buy the watch, not the deal" that was a game changer to me. But there is nothing better than buying the watch AND the deal. Stars align sometimes (just ask the lucky Kontiki deal buyers of yesteryear).

I am gonna marinate on this a while and check back in. I know I have something forum acceptable somewhere in my brain.
I was there for the KonTiki deal, and there were a lot of people who I am fairly certain did not have the KonTiki on the top of their watch to buy list before that deal rolled out. I know I became tempted as those KonTiki deals sprung up on the list. There's a certain group "feeding frenzy" regarding an exclusive and very, very good deal that I think can greatly encourage the desire to buy.

That, and the problem with buying the deal is that we are so very greatly influenced by price in more ways that we might be conscious of. There has been double-blind testing of both wine and audio speakers where it was found that people often picked much less expensive items when they didn't know the wine/speaker they were tasting/listening to. Those tests really helped me to understand how much feeling something is a great deal vs. its normal price could also have a bias effect beyond a reasoned value consideration. Conversely, I am sure that many of us make impulse buys because of a price bias toward purchasing a watch when we feel that it is a great bargain of the moment, a watch we might never buy the watch when it was closer to its regular lowest available price. I try to avoid that now. I ask myself if I am strongly drawn to buy it as its regular lowest available price. If not, why would I buy it just because it's a deal (I'm not looking to flip for profit)? Before I began to try to follow that strategy, as well as a strategy of being cautious of impulse buying a watch that I had not been researching previously, I had many more regrets.

Then again, could be such a bias would be permanent. In other words, that bias towards impulse buying a watch because of the great deal could, for some people, permanently make them happy with their purchase. I just know it doesn't work for me, and I think we each have to seek to understand ourselves in this regard.

So for now, for me it is "First, desire the watch, then buy it as a deal."
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

cel4145 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:23 pm Then again, could be such a bias would be permanent. In other words, that bias towards impulse buying a watch because of the great deal could, for some people, permanently make them happy with their purchase. I just know it doesn't work for me, and I think we each have to seek to understand ourselves in this regard.
_________

It would seem that the best advice, then, is that of the Delphic Oracle: "Know Thyself."
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Always wipe front to back. Not back to front
Insta me: bbrou33
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

The first step to correcting a mistake is patience.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:57 pm Always wipe front to back. Not back to front
Uh, that is good advice...for women.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

FTE wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:03 pm
Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:57 pm Always wipe front to back. Not back to front
When you #2, which way do you wipe? Back to front is dangerous regardless of gender. I don't want to make a mess on the marbles
Insta me: bbrou33
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:30 pm
cel4145 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:23 pm Then again, could be such a bias would be permanent. In other words, that bias towards impulse buying a watch because of the great deal could, for some people, permanently make them happy with their purchase. I just know it doesn't work for me, and I think we each have to seek to understand ourselves in this regard.
________

It would seem that the best advice, then, is that of the Delphic Oracle: "Know Thyself."

------

Then again, the best advice for Watch Abstinence Club members is "No Thyself."
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:55 pm
FTE wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:03 pm
When you #2, which way do you wipe? Back to front is dangerous regardless of gender. I don't want to make a mess on the marbles
There are more directions than back to front or front to back. Must be a sideswiper...err...sideways wiper :D