We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Who here is into sunglasses?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Who here is into sunglasses?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I always thought sunglasses and watches are the perfect match. Personally I have an abundance of Ray Bans mostly because they fit my face shape well and I can get them cheap from a local store.

I've been trying to find a good deal on some Persol 0714 folding glasses because they're just freaking awesome looking (and timeless).

Any of you guys have some cool shades? [emoji41]
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... c38d53.jpg[/IMG]
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Who here is into sunglasses?

Post by watchpalooza »

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I managed to find a pair of the exact Persol 0714s I wanted today. Tried them on and they look alright, but I might go for the 52mm version... too bad there are no blue lenses in that size. Also they were $465 lol.

But I found what looks to be a legit seller from Italy with very affordable prices.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

So I'm a sunglasses noob but I want a pair of wayfarers. Are these I see on eBay for like $65-$70 legit? Any reason to spend $120 at sunglass hut rather than eBay?
I wish that watch were 38mm?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

My sunglasses are strong on safety, weak on style. And they're $5 at Amazon here. They're a single-piece lens model made by Edge Eyewear. MIL spec and ANSI spec, so better than your typical safety glasses. Their optics are great.

Edge sells many other styles on Amazon. I have another pair of theirs which is polarized but also has full frames so my peripheral vision isn't as good -- I only notice this when I'm driving. The polarized lenses outweigh this though, especially on long trips because of the reduced glare.

I got sold on the single-piece design after checking out this (unscientific but interesting) article:
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-pr ... es-review/

In particular:

Okay, birdshot in the face isn't a regular problem. But it seems like a useful baseline for protection against projectiles.
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

My only contribution of any value is that I bought some Raybans for $40 from some discount site and the lenses have held up better than anything I’ve ever owned. I dropped them on the lenses, on concrete, and the damage to the AR coating is not noticeable with the glasses on. They’ve gone two years of me not being gentle and still holding up extremely well.

My next pair of sunglasses will be Ray-Ban just because of the lens quality.

@robotazky
59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

I have a couple pairs of Costa Del Mars, pair of Maui Jim's, and a rarely used pair of Wiley X's.

I've been extremely happy with both the Costa's and Maui's.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Boourns wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:16 pm So I'm a sunglasses noob but I want a pair of wayfarers. Are these I see on eBay for like $65-$70 legit? Any reason to spend $120 at sunglass hut rather than eBay?
I happened to notice some (mostly old, expired) Ray Ban promos posted on SlickDeals. The sellers look legit. Maybe worth monitoring:

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?sr ... chin=first

Visiting eBay seller asavings -- which I recognize from watch deal posts -- they have a number of Ray Ban models in that price range atm:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=& ... n&_sacat=0
Pissodes
Has thanked: 0

Post by Pissodes »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:59 pm I always thought sunglasses and watches are the perfect match. Personally I have an abundance of Ray Bans mostly because they fit my face shape well and I can get them cheap from a local store.

I've been trying to find a good deal on some Persol 0714 folding glasses because they're just freaking awesome looking (and timeless).

Any of you guys have some cool shades? [emoji41]
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... c38d53.jpg[/IMG]
I love sunglasses. They are one of my hobbies outside of watches and fragrances. At this point I only wear Persols. Ive owned dozens of them both new and vintage. I wear 649's of which I have 4 pairs. You will find great deals on ebay for new and used. Im not afraid to buy used. There are some grey market sites online that sell 714's for way less than msrp. You should be able to find them under $200. They do run bigger than youd think and the shape is unique and not for all faces. But they are great quality (IMO) and look great too.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Thinking about using the ebay code on these. Any reason (other than the price) to think they aren't legit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Ban-RB2140 ... SwWI5cUoCl

But now you guys kind of have me looking closer at Persols.
I wish that watch were 38mm?