We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Branding

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.

What kind of site swag would you be interested in?

Stickers/Decals
20%
Hats
30%
Shirts
20%
Pens
20%
Other (Leave a comment in the thread.)
10%

Total votes: 10
MoT
Site Admin

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Branding

Post by MoT »

Final Transparent.png
I believe in giving credit where it is due. Thanks to all of you, this site is continuing to grow.

Because of this, I've been thinking about official "branding", and I had this logo drawn up. I like the simple, flat design.

Would there be any interest in items with the site branding? If so, what kind? Please answer the poll, and share your thoughts.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Branding

Post by TheJohnP »

I am personally a fan of magnets and enamel pins.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:19 am Because of this, I've been thinking about official "branding", and I had this logo drawn up. I like the simple, flat design.
From a logo design perspective, that would not be considered a simple design. When thinking of "simple" in terms of logo design, imagine that the logo would work well when you shrink it to a size to use on a business card. That design has too many words and too many intricate details. Also, now that you have put it in the header of the site, note how it would be unreadable on most phone displays (it is on mine, and I have a Galaxy S9+).

Instead, imagine you are designing a watch dial for a 30mm watch that has to have high visibility/readability. Plus, you might also think of a logo design that has reducibility down to a graphical symbol that could work well as a favicon for the website.

Check out the history of Starbucks' logo design:

[img]https://4sthjb2mi91c3ak2-zippykid.netdn ... rbucks.png[/img]

Starbucks mermaid in their 1992 design became so well known for their brand that they were able to ditch their name from the logo in their latest iteration. But their 1992 logo is a good model for how much detail and text you can include in an effective logo.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

There are other issues with it too, I may have jumped the gun a bit.

Finding someone who can draw something up for a reasonable cost has been a headache. I'm about to try for the third time. 😔

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:17 pm There are other issues with it too, I may have jumped the gun a bit.

Finding someone who can draw something up for a reasonable cost has been a headache. I'm about to try for the third time. 😔
If it doesn’t work out, let me know...if its a simple logo, I may be able to enlist a friend here to do it. He does vector graphic design and has freelanced on some logos.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

It might be easier to come up with a graphical logo for the watchdealforum.com domain name than manontime.com. For Man on Time, a wordmark could work well: https://logojoy.com/blog/wordmark-logo-design/
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

It would need to be something that people see or I'd have no interest, to be honest. That's the whole point in my opinion.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

[img][/img]

What about FTE's FIAT?
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:59 pm [img][/img]

What about FTE's FIAT?
Thanks for that. It’s cute...but for me doesn’t fully capture the spirit of this place or the thrill of “chasing the deal”. I think that’s what we all feel...and also a bit of rallying behind an outcast rebel leader. 🤗

Also there is a bonding / friend aspect to this place for me. Definitely more here than any Italian sub-compact can do justice. Also, it’s probably copyrighted material. I think It needs to be some kind of personified branding...a mascot if you will, that represnets the feeling of this place.

(I realize you were joking, but took the opportunity to vent some feelings...hope you don’t mind!)
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I was playing around a site called Brand Crowd where you can design your own logos and such.

This is what I came up with for a site logo based on their tools and premade templates:

[img][/img]

I didn't pay the $$ to get the nicely rendered, clean logo, but wanted to share where my mind was leaning.

Here's the site if anyone wants to play around.
https://www.brandcrowd.com/maker/tag/time

I went ahead and pulled all the logos that have to do with time with their tagging system.
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:18 pm I was playing around a site called Brand Crowd where you can design your own logos and such.

This is what I came up with for a site logo based on their tools and premade templates:

[img][/img]

I didn't pay the $$ to get the nicely rendered, clean logo, but wanted to share where my mind was leaning.

I went ahead and pulled all the logos that have to do with time with their tagging system.
Nice work! I wonder how hard it would be to replace the fuse with a stickman...for some reason I have this idea for the logo of a clockface with a second hand in the shape of a running man.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

FTE wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:21 pm
[img][/img]

Nice work! I wonder how hard it would be to replace the fuse with a stickman...for some reason I have this idea for the logo of a clockface with a second hand in the shape of a running man.

I liked the timebomb image when I saw it, since good watch deals don't last long. There seemed to be a nice thematic alignment there.
Or with the "going broke by saving money" motto, a good deal is going to blow up your savings, wallet, bank account, kind of thing.
And as the fuse looked a little like a long minute hand, I actually added a small line to represent an hour hand.
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:25 pm
FTE wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:21 pm
[img][/img]

I liked the timebomb image when I saw it, since good watch deals don't last long. There seemed to be a nice thematic alignment there.
Or with the "going broke by saving money" motto, a good deal is going to blow up your savings, wallet, bank account, kind of thing.
And as the fuse looked a little like a long minute hand, I actually added a small line to represent an hour hand.
I think the timebomb analogy totally works. The text layout is also really clean. What do you think about having the domain name somewhere?
Click Icon To Contact Me

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:18 pm I was playing around a site called Brand Crowd where you can design your own logos and such.

[img][/img]

I dig it. 8-)

If I might make a suggestion, "ManOnTime" vs "Man On Time".

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

FTE wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:28 pm
I think the timebomb analogy totally works. The text layout is also really clean. What do you think about having the domain name somewhere?
I've got this saved as a draft, so I can still play around with it.
Are you thinking manontime.com or watchdealforum.com?
Click Icon To Contact Me