We're Moving!

Click for more info.

So I'm banned from watchuseek... Again!

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: So I'm banned from watchuseek... Again!

Post by Sporkboy »

squincher wrote:I don't where you guys got your information. Bo clearly stated the thread was locked because it was getting too big and taking too long to load.

You don't think he was backtracking after doing something stupid, do you?
Househalfman has it as I remember it. Later there was talk of the thread being too large IIRC.
Another factor was that we weren’t allowed to discuss the situation or question the mods in any way or the posts were edited or deleted by the mods. We could see what happened, or not see it, but we weren’t given allowed to discuss why it was being done other than TOS violations.

In retrospect, the affiliate link issue should have been a separate thread. I did check the TOS at the time and it wasn’t there, but rather an unwritten rule that was claimed to be well established as it came up ~2 years prior. How new people were supposed to know is beyond me.

Most of the evidence of what happened was deleted by mods, so this story only lives on in the minds of those that were there. It seems silly now, but there you have it.

Since then, things have escalated to Any mention of this forum being removed from posts and PM. Users have been banned.

I am not sure if it makes sense to have a locked thread that chronicles the origin of this forum as a reference for times like these.

I still frequent WUS, but I think of this place as my home. There are fewer people here, but I think the quality of interaction here is amazing. I am actually grateful to the mods doing what they did as it gave birth to this site.
quincas
MoT Member

So I'm banned from watchuseek... Again!

Post by quincas »

squincher wrote:I don't where you guys got your information. Bo clearly stated the thread was locked because it was getting too big and taking too long to load.

I was there when it all happened. A member posted affiliate links without stating that they were. And was found out by another user. Then everyone started taking sides and the conversation went badly off track with people starting to bicker. That was went mods stepped in and warned everyone to stop and get back to topic. There was a joke being made later about affiliate links and some crossfire ensued. The mods suddenly closed the thread when that happened.

Bo wasn’t backtracking. I think that the mods are using it as a convenient but unconvincing reason to lock the thread as there are many people literally begging for the mods to reopen the thread and also saying that they will stop visiting WUS.

That was when the mods restarted a new thread, stating “too long, too large, slowing the site down” as reasons. There are many other threads as long and big, as others have pointed out. These comments were deleted.

Many users have been banned simply by passing remarks deemed to have undermine the authority of the mods.

The message is, “Do not question gods (mods)!”
IMG_0705.jpg
I won’t ever forget this comment. Sorry, command.
Last edited by quincas on Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

squincher wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:52 am I don't where you guys got your information. Bo clearly stated the thread was locked because it was getting too big and taking too long to load.

I think it doesn't really matter as it's all old news at this point. We are all here and this place is amazing. Let's enjoy it and make it the best place we can.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

Sporkboy wrote:

Househalfman has it as I remember it. Later there was talk of the thread being too large IIRC.
Another factor was that we weren’t allowed to discuss the situation or question the mods in any way or the posts were edited or deleted by the mods. We could see what happened, or not see it, but we weren’t given allowed to discuss why it was being done other than TOS violations.

In retrospect, the affiliate link issue should have been a separate thread. I did check the TOS at the time and it wasn’t there, but rather an unwritten rule that was claimed to be well established as it came up ~2 years prior. How new people were supposed to know is beyond me.

Most of the evidence of what happened was deleted by mods, so this story only lives on in the minds of those that were there. It seems silly now, but there you have it.

Since then, things have escalated to Any mention of this forum being removed from posts and PM. Users have been banned.

I am not sure if it makes sense to have a locked thread that chronicles the origin of this forum as a reference for times like these.

I still frequent WUS, but I think of this place as my home. There are fewer people here, but I think the quality of interaction here is amazing. I am actually grateful to the mods doing what they did as it gave birth to this site.
Amen!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I think some of us are missing the subtlety of squincher's sarcasm. ;)
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

ManOnTime wrote:I think some of us are missing the subtlety of squincher's sarcasm. ;)
[emoji848]

I really did miss that.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

quincas wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:55 am
ManOnTime wrote:I think some of us are missing the subtlety of squincher's sarcasm. ;)
[emoji848]

I really did miss that.
Omg, yeah, me too... <headslap>
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
konax
MoT Member

Post by konax »

ManOnTime wrote:(There is an amusing story about how news we broke caused a run on AMG paddle shifters, depleted the NA inventory and caused MB to redesign them, but that's for another thread.)
Hey boss, where can I read up on this? I work in the industry (sort of) and this kind of stuff is always fascinating to me.
NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Post by NapoleonDynamite »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:33 am I still frequent WUS, but I think of this place as my home. There are fewer people here, but I think the quality of interaction here is amazing. I am actually grateful to the mods doing what they did as it gave birth to this site.
I still frequency WUS too. I have to say, I've only just got around to registering here and the posts I've read, everyone seems really friendly. So it's seems like a pretty safe and fun place to be. I hope I can be a part of its growth. WUS is big, and there are your usual muppets (like any other big forum/community). Hopefully MoT stays friendly.

It's so easy to be a troll and a pr*ck online. Hopefully we can weed them out!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

konax wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:56 am
ManOnTime wrote:(There is an amusing story about how news we broke caused a run on AMG paddle shifters, depleted the NA inventory and caused MB to redesign them, but that's for another thread.)
Hey boss, where can I read up on this? I work in the industry (sort of) and this kind of stuff is always fascinating to me.
Most of this is from memory, so forgive me if I miss some of the finer details.

The Chrysler LX chassis was introduced in 2004 for the 2005 model year. Although it was a Chrysler design, the merger with Daimler-Benz opened up the Mercedes parts bin, and Chrysler took advantage. The MB 5G-Tronic 722.6 transmission, wiring harnesses, rear differential and suspension, switches, steering column and a bunch (up to 20%) of parts from the W210 E-Class was used in Chrysler's new platform.

As all car guys know, things can be made better. Or customized to personal tastes. With the reintroduction of large, V8 powered Mopars, it wasn't long until Mopar guys really starting digging into them. Early on it was discovered that the up/down shift commands in manual shifting mode were sent electronically and that with a simple wireless receiver and some stick-on "paddles", one could control the shifts via the steering wheel instead of the shifter handle. This was a hit, and a lot of members starting installing it. The only downside was the shift speed because of the nature of wireless communication. If you wanted to shift at 4,000rpm for example, you needed to pull the paddle at 3,200-3,500.

Not long after that, a member disassembled his steering wheel and discovered that the provisions for the AMG shift paddles were still there, just covered up. Not only that, all the proper interfaces and connectors in the clockspring and the wire harness remained! All that needed to be done (and I'm simplifying this a bit) was to run some wire to mate with the interfaces and install the AMG paddles on the wheel. Since this method directly interfaces with the CANBUS as the AMG cars with the feature from the factory do, shifts are almost instantaneous (well, as instant as a torque converter based automatic from that era can be).

Once that discovery was made and proven to work, the rush was on. Group buys were set up, wiping out dealer and warehouse stock for North America. I was incorrect to say this forced MB to redesign the paddles. That was already in the works. What the shortage caused was MB to push up the release date on the redesign.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
konax
MoT Member

Post by konax »

ManOnTime wrote:
Whoa, that's crazy. Thanks for sharing!