We're Moving!

Click for more info.

2019 F1 Season

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Rocat
MoT Member

2019 F1 Season

Post by Rocat »

I figure I can't be the only F1 fan around here so why not start an F1 thread.

This can be for anything F1 related.

Personally, I'd like to see Ferrari win the Championship this year. Not that Hamilton isn't worthy, it's just that I can't stand the guy and it has nothing to do with him being rich and famous. More power to him for that. Yeah Capitalism!

I want to see Kevin Magnussen at Haas in the mix at the front more this year. I love how he drives. Credit where credit is due, Verstappen has some serious talent even if I think he's still a bit immature personality-wise.

I am curious to see what Kimi can do this year at Alfa Romeo and Ricciardo can do at Renault.

Sadly Williams is in the Dumper already and Paddy has essentially been fired or quit. I'm sure who ever were up for a spot at Williams and didn't get it are glad they are not with Williams now.

The top three teams will still be out in front by a good margin but the mid pack fighting should be epic this year. Or at least I hope it will be.

I think Blue flags should be eliminated. If you are in P1 and working your way through the slower cars then you are obviously good enough to pass slower traffic.

The 1 point awarded to the fastest lap is another dumb idea Liberty Media brought back from the Grave that should have stayed dead.

I'm sure I'll think of other things as the season goes on.

Oh, one last thing. I made a few posts over "There" and someone who, I'll go ahead and stereo-type, must be in his twenties and doesn't "Get" cars made a comment that F1 was a complete waste of time. I agreed to disagree with him.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: 2019 F1 Season

Post by MoT »

I haven't watched much in the last few years, but Kimi and Alfa have been longtime favorites. To see them together is especially nice.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

It will be interesting to see how Kimi gets on as the Team Leader and not having to play "Blocker" for Vettel. Granted, that is the job of all No.2 Drivers
Slant
MoT Member

Post by Slant »

Speaking of... Did anyone watch the new Netflix series "Formula 1: Drive to Survive?". I just finished the season over the weekend and found it quite entertaining. It's about the 2018 season covering stories of the mid pack rivalry, in-team fighting, etc. It's a good watch before starting the 2019 season. It even had a bit on the controversial "halo"... still can't get over how it totally ruins the looks of the cars but understandably safety should always come before style.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

I don't have Netflix so I haven't seen it.

Ugh! I completely memory blanked the Halo out of my mind.

I will politely agree to disagree with you on the Halo

I still think it's a god awful looking thing that wasn't needed. It seems to have come about due to Jules B's wreck in the rain. Not even a halo would have helped him.
Next, the FIA will act like my wife and want to bubble wrap (what she wants to do to each of our kids before they go outside and play) each driver before they get into the car.
It also completely destroys the on board view for fans watching on tv. You can't see the suspension working anymore since the Halo blocks the view of it.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

The hybrid motors have hurt the racing with Merc being so dominant, when Red Bull was winning you had 6 other teams winning races each season.

I also am not a Lewis fan, but I think he is now better than Vettel. Vettel cant win if he makes one mistake, Lewis can make mistakes and his car being so much better he does not have the stress of the other racers.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

tjcdas wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm The hybrid motors have hurt the racing with Merc being so dominant, when Red Bull was winning you had 6 other teams winning races each season.

I also am not a Lewis fan, but I think he is now better than Vettel. Vettel cant win if he makes one mistake, Lewis can make mistakes and his car being so much better he does not have the stress of the other racers.
True. He is a better Driver. He's less methodical and more emotional (internally). He can wring the performance out of his car as good as Alonso used to do. It doesn't mean I have to like it. :)

I do think that any of the half decent Drivers, (Bottas is not) given the opportunity in Hamiltons car would dominate. SAme could be said for the Ferrari. I'm curious to see if Ocon takes Bottas' place next year. Ocon won't give Hamilton any slack.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I think Vettel is the epitome of the "head case" athlete. His talent is unquestionable -- I honestly think if each is driving at their full potential, he's better than Hamilton. Though it seems to me that as soon as Vettel is thrown off his game or out of "the zone" he falls apart. Whereas Hamilton is better at adapting and keeping it together. Vettel also kinda seems like a jerk. So I root for Hamilton. Also, he has cool dogs and his name is Hamilton, which happens to intersect with my primary hobby. :lol:

[img]https://lewishamilton-assets.s3-eu-west ... c4424.jpeg[/img]
I wish that watch were 38mm?
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

I have 3 bulldogs love his dog breed, but my son and I for years have dubbed him "Big Baby"

[img][/img]
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

We need more racing not running to save fuel, running the engines at 75% sucks.

I will watch any of the onroad racing series imsa, dtm, aussie v8 the racing is better and you have passing f1 has become dull and unwatchable.

I still watch but the racing is poor, zero drama on the track.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

tjcdas wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 am We need more racing not running to save fuel, running the engines at 75% sucks.

I will watch any of the onroad racing series imsa, dtm, aussie v8 the racing is better and you have passing f1 has become dull and unwatchable.

I still watch but the racing is poor, zero drama on the track.
I watched some of the Aussie V8 Supercar racing a few years back. That is some serious racing. They were banging into each other like NASCAR did in the old days. I admit though that I'm not a NASCAR fan.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

The Aussie V8 is great fun being in the USA its fun to learn about the sponsors; Stix, Bottle-O.

Whats a Holden?

Cbssports network has some fun British onroad racing.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

tjcdas wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm Whats a Holden?
Easiest analogy is to think of Holden as Australia's Chevrolet. Especially since it is owned by GM.

The latest Pontiac GTO, Pontiac G8 and Chevrolet SS and Caprice sold in North America were Holdens.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Common brand down under never heard of them before watching the V8 racing.

Being in the Twin Cities would love to watch the Imsa at Road America, it's tough to get hotel rooms as it is in the middle of no where, did to much camping with my son for scouts, cant do it any more.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

I just read on Formula1.com that FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting passed away Wednesday morning.