As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Bronze and Brass = going broke

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
CVP33
MoT Member

Bronze and Brass = going broke

Post by CVP33 »

LOL, been chasing a lot of bronze/brass watches lately. I have the Zelos SkyRaider inbound now to round out this collection.

Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Bronze and Brass = going broke

Post by Boourns »

I had a bronze Batman Zelos Mako and really liked it. I don't have it anymore only because I traded it for a matte 1521, which I had wanted ever since I got into watches. I would terrible things for a bronze CW C65: https://www.christopherward.com/watches ... nze-sh21-2
I wish that watch were 38mm?
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

I have the original issue Zelos Helmsmen and the original issue Zelos Hammerhead, the only Kickstarters I’ve ever done.

My grail is the bronze Kazimon 1500; a watch that is probably unobtainable.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

My only bronze is the Nethuns No 5. I love it and the patina that is developing. So far I have resisted buying another bronze because I don't want to split patina time!

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

I've had a pretty bad brass/bronze addiction.  I just love the chunky feel and patina.  If a watch is stainless steel, then I want it around 40-42mm and thin.  But somehow for bronze divers they just seem more appropriate to be 47mm and heavy!
One issue that always bothered me though is that bronze and brass should be easier materials to machine than steel and I believe cheaper.  So why did everyone who had a bronze diver think they had to be priced near $1,000 or more, even with a NH35A movement?  It seems like some form of sanity has hit this part of the market this year as I see brass and bronze pieces more reasonably priced below $500 now.  It's a good time to pick some up, but I am trying to control my spending as I feel I already have enough...

This is an old picture I have, left to right, top:  U-Boat U42 (titanium, just fits with the other pieces for being big), Helson Porthole, Narval Seven NZ-2102, Nethuns Ocean 300, Maranez Bangla 47
Left to right, bottom:  Maranez Rawai 45, Armida A8, Armida A1 (now sold), G. Gerlach Submarine, Ancon Tank

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Kirk B wrote: I've had a pretty bad brass/bronze addiction.  I just love the chunky feel and patina.  If a watch is stainless steel, then I want it around 40-42mm and thin.  But somehow for bronze divers they just seem more appropriate to be 47mm and heavy!
This I have to agree with.  Not sure why, but bronze seems made to be oversized.  Other watches with diffferent metals I fond to be too large, but bronze just works.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Dale90
MoT Member

Post by Dale90 »

I’ve had my eyes on a bronze Steinhart Nav B for a while now. Will be pulling the trigger soon, just need to decide 44 or 47mm!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The only bronze I have is the "Bronzevicta" that was going for crazy prices earlier this year. I think I managed to pick mine up from Invicta Store for around $30.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:51 pm The only bronze I have is the "Bronzevicta" that was going for crazy prices earlier this year. I think I managed to pick mine up from Invicta Store for around $30.
Damn, and I thought the $70 Labor Day deal was good. How'd you swing that?

It's also the only bronze I have; it was an experiment in both the case metal and in Seiko autos. Yeah, I'm pretty much a fledgling in the watch world. Ideally I'll flip the Invicta at some point since it's still larger than I prefer, and pursue Seiko and Bronze in other formats. If I can get past my inertia, and assuming anyone'd have sufficient in a pre-patinated $70 watch.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:39 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:51 pm The only bronze I have is the "Bronzevicta" that was going for crazy prices earlier this year. I think I managed to pick mine up from Invicta Store for around $30.
Damn, and I thought the $70 Labor Day deal was good. How'd you swing that?

It's also the only bronze I have; it was an experiment in both the case metal and in Seiko autos. Yeah, I'm pretty much a fledgling in the watch world. Ideally I'll flip the Invicta at some point since it's still larger than I prefer, and pursue Seiko and Bronze in other formats. If I can get past my inertia, and assuming anyone'd have sufficient in a pre-patinated $70 watch.

It was some flukey combination of a half off sale combined with a special sale coupon that applied when it shouldn't have. Nearly my best deal of 2018.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

The stars aligned, in other words.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I really want to buy a Zelos Hammerhead, blue dial this year. Resale on those is way above MSRP unfortunately. I'll have to save for a while.
I really like the idea of having a big heavy chunky bronze diver. The Zelos appealed to me way more than anything else in its price range.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sampson
MoT Member

Post by Sampson »

I just received my davosa bronze. Yikes. Really nice. Added to my bronze collection of zelos, venture Mori and a TC-9.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Sampson wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:19 pm I just received my davosa bronze. Yikes. Really nice. Added to my bronze collection of zelos, venture Mori and a TC-9.
Pictures or it didn't happen.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

I've got the Davosa Argonautic LE. Bloody lovely it is too!
[img]https://i.imged.pl/davosa-argonautic-br ... 048170.jpg[/img]