Like any cash back program, you need to be logged into Ebates before you visit RG. Specifically, click the Rakuten Global link provided by Ebates before shopping. What if you haven't clicked through Ebates but you just found a watch you want to buy? This is what to do: 1) write down the item's product number, seller name or whatever else you'll need to find it later (don't use a bookmark), 2) clear your browser cookies and restart your browser, 3) log in to Ebates and follow their link to RG, 4) use the RG search function to locate your watch. Maybe this is overkill, but I've read that it reduces surprises.
Here's an outline of what to expect by RyanD:
So placing a RG order will eventually result in the seller sending you an invoice. The advice I've read is to not pay this invoice until the purchase is registered by Ebates. Also, seems like I've read of buyers disputing charges on the invoice, like tax.1. Click through Ebates to Global Rakuten and place your order (order is NOT final at this point).
2. Check your Ebates account to verify that the purchase was registered. Should not take more than a few hours.
3. The seller will give you the actual total cost including shipping. This may be slightly more or less than you expect due to taxes, etc.
4. If everything looks good, follow the seller instructions to complete the order.
When it come to paying, you want to use a credit card with no international transaction fees. Then you want to pay in Yen, not dollars. IIRC, paying in dollars means that they perform the currency conversion, and you'll get a bad rate. I don't recall any advice specific to PayPal.
Here is advice from mannal:
***I see lots of posts regarding eBates. "Some" indicate that the author may have not read the T&C's or fully understands the process. I have been a user of eBates since 2007 (yes, they have been around that long). If you follow a few basic rules, you will be 100% satisfied, like me.
1. Take the time to review the process on the eBates website - https://www.ebates.com/help/category/ea ... 5001466468
2. ALWAYS check to see if a Shopping Trip has been created in the Portal before you checkout - No number, no rebate.
3. If something does go wrong, follow the process for submitting claims before flaming customer service - https://www.ebates.com/help/track-cash-back . If you did not follow rule #2, good luck. This is where things get sticky.
Please correct or amplify anything I wrote above. Please add your experiences with Rakuten Global + Ebates and your experiences with specific sellers on RG. Thanks!