As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
EA-Sports
MoT Member

Re: Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by EA-Sports »

This is the email I received from Ebates about my RGM transaction not showing up on my Ebates account. I’ll just go ahead and cancel my order.

Hello,

We are only able to add Cash Back to your account when stores let us know about your order. We will contact the store to verify your order. It usually takes about 10 business days for us to hear back, but it may take up to 45 days. We realize this can be an inconvenience, and we appreciate your patience.

Feel free to reach out to me if you still have any questions.

Thank you.

Member Services
Ebates.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

EA-Sports wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:36 pm This is the email I received from Ebates about my RGM transaction not showing up on my Ebates account. I’ll just go ahead and cancel my order.

Hello,

We are only able to add Cash Back to your account when stores let us know about your order. We will contact the store to verify your order. It usually takes about 10 business days for us to hear back, but it may take up to 45 days. We realize this can be an inconvenience, and we appreciate your patience.

Feel free to reach out to me if you still have any questions.

Thank you.

Member Services
Ebates.com

AndroidIsAwesome mentioned in the deal thread that Japan celebrates the new year until Jan. 4th. I guess the idea was that some of these stores might not be open to process orders for a few days.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Recent spike in Ebates cash back for Rakuten Global:
12/26/18 - increased to 16%
12/30/18 - increased from 16% to 26%
12/31/18 - dropped from 26% to 12%

Crossposting some of the advice offered in the deals thread from 12/30-12/31 (bold mine). I'll gladly change a quote if the original author wants -- just PM me.

Lots of advice in favor of using PayPal instead of a credit card. For one thing, it sounds like you have control over when the payment is made, so you can withhold funds until the cash back actually posts in Ebates. Also:

uvalaw2005:
"I'd particularly echo that you are most likely to have success buying from sellers who use PayPal. Several of us have had difficulty with sellers (like nanaple), who only take credit cards. They will often have either real or feigned difficulty processing the transaction, and will sometimes ask you to complete the transaction outside of RGM, which would require forfeiting the ebates cash."
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2421#p2421

uaconcorde:
"A word of caution, always use paypal, the Rakuten customer protection is useless. doesnt cover any "not as desscribed" cases if you are buying used, and excludes many many brands, just dont use it. Nothing like ebay buyer protection. if you are due compensation as a foreigner without japan bacnk account you can only get points, you cant get money back, so let me say that again, USE PAYPAL"
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2412#p2412

On cancelling a Rakuten Global order:

N8G:
"Usually they will confirm with you before they actually process the payment through so you should be able to cancel fairly easily .... I wouldn't ever pay before the cash back posts anyway."
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2676#p2676

DiscoEstScio:
"Ask the seller to cancel (or ignore the email with payment link)."
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2683#p2683

General experiences:

pneuma2018:
"If you check the old WUS thread, you will see people's rebates got rejected by eBates because the seller did not use the GR shipper. Indeed, most GR sellers use EMS instead of the GR shipper. Since eBates only pays out its rebates once every 3 months, they can remove the rebates before the pay out and it happened to me. So, the conclusion is that some people never had problems with eBates and some did. If you are going to make a big/Grail purchase and the discount depending totally on eBates, you need to balance out the possibility that eBates may refuse to give you the rebates."
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2417#p2417

flypanam:
"Also just in general - Your experience on Rakuten will honestly greatly depend on the vendor you buy from. I have bought from a few different sellers ... who had great customer service and had the transactions go extraordinarily smoothly. Others have tried to pull some funny stuff and I've had to cancel. I only usually buy brand new JDM model watches, so buying from authorized dealers may be a factor here, since I'm not buying from independent sellers."
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2681#p2681

wake:
"I've always had to request my cashback through the ebates website for GR. It's never been automatically added to my account, which makes things a little treacherous because to do that you must copy the email that you receive when you complete your purchase..."
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2655#p2655

wahlaoeh:
"I am now in touch with Ebates to confirm my purchase. Ebates is not reliable at all

I created a Ebates Shopping Trip on my Chrome browser with a Ebates extension and the extension even confirmed my purchase/ cashback"
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2730#p2730

On used watches and returns:

EDIT (Jan. 2): Removed a quote because he was describing his experience with Ashford, not RG.

rinsk21:
"... The scrutiny in Japan over condition and authenticity is much stricter than in the United States so I have found that you can pretty much buy from anywhere with confidence. ..."
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2410#p2410

On import duty, USA buyers:

raheelc:
"I think it depends on how the watch is shipped. I've had an Omega shipped from Japan via USPS/EMS before (not from Rakuten though) and I didn't pay any customs. on another watch, I ended paying around $30 for import duty, and it was shipped by FedEx."
Robotaz:
"What you paid is called the “FedEx extortion scam fee”. If you want your goods and the seller chooses to screw you by using FedEx, you will be shaken down and extorted on your end."
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2519#p2519

On import duty, EU buyers:

Conchita Turtle:
"Here in Spain (and I suposse in all European Union) is 21% VAT + import duties if purchase is over 150EUR + 25EUR customs broker's fee, starting from purchases over 45EUR.

Some goods may be duty free and others subject to additional duties, depending on the country of manufacture and the product."
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=2510#p2510
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

Ebates cashback is down to the standard 4%.

mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

I received the same 10 to 45 day email. I replied saying that Ebates and Rakuten are part of the same company so there shouldn't be such a hassle to verify everything. I also told them I would cancel the order if I don't see the cash back soon.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

mplsabdullah wrote:I received the same 10 to 45 day email. I replied saying that Ebates and Rakuten are part of the same company so there shouldn't be such a hassle to verify everything. I also told them I would cancel the order if I don't see the cash back soon.
I got the same email. The shop I used is still closed and I haven’t received any more confirmations from them. I’m actually hopeful that it will go through since the ebates customer service person (Kelsie) said they are contacting the store for verification of my order.

Hopefully more to come!

mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

ILiveOnWacker wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 am
mplsabdullah wrote:I received the same 10 to 45 day email. I replied saying that Ebates and Rakuten are part of the same company so there shouldn't be such a hassle to verify everything. I also told them I would cancel the order if I don't see the cash back soon.
I got the same email. The shop I used is still closed and I haven’t received any more confirmations from them. I’m actually hopeful that it will go through since the ebates customer service person (Kelsie) said they are contacting the store for verification of my order.

Hopefully more to come!

I've received 2 email from Seiko 3s so I'm assuming they are open however I still have not received a PayPal invoice from them so I'm not sure what is going on.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

mplsabdullah wrote:

Hopefully more to come!

I've received 2 email from Seiko 3s so I'm assuming they are open however I still have not received a PayPal invoice from them so I'm not sure what is going on.
Seiko 3s takes a couple days to send an invoice
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
bb_sub
MoT Member

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by bb_sub »

mplsabdullah wrote:

Hopefully more to come!

Same but both came from Rakuten, not Seiko 3s. I believe they are closed until 1/4 or 1/5.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

bb_sub wrote:
mplsabdullah wrote:

Hopefully more to come!

Same but both came from Rakuten, not Seiko 3s. I believe they are closed until 1/4 or 1/5.
Looks like mine where also auto response from Rakuten.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Oh well. I’m not buying the SARW025 I ordered. I found the SARW035 for the same price and already bought it. I like the 035 a lot better anyway.
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

I recently signed up to Ebates but haven't bought anything. One of my recent emails is pushing the browser plugin. There's one for Chrome and I think one for Safari and so on.

Setting aside for the moment that I'm NOT an "extension" sort of user (not even to block advertising) is the Ebates extension useful? They claim (from the email touting it):
  • "Activates Cash Back directly at store sites" (How, and what's the alternative process ... waiting for someone somewhere to manually tie the purchase to Cash Back?)

"Automatically applies the best coupons for you at checkout" (OK, sounds good guess)

"Tells you where to find lower prices when you're shopping at stores that don't offer Cash Back" (Assuming this is true, why would they steer you to someone not in their retailer network?)
Watching from the sidelines ... I find this all interesting, frightening, amusing, and probably something geared more for you big kids spending hundreds and thousands, with the attention span long enough to sort it all out to reduce risk.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

deckeda wrote:I recently signed up to Ebates but haven't bought anything. One of my recent emails is pushing the browser plugin. There's one for Chrome and I think one for Safari and so on.

Setting aside for the moment that I'm NOT an "extension" sort of user (not even to block advertising) is the Ebates extension useful? They claim (from the email touting it):
  • "Activates Cash Back directly at store sites" (How, and what's the alternative process ... waiting for someone somewhere to manually tie the purchase to Cash Back?)

"Automatically applies the best coupons for you at checkout" (OK, sounds good guess)

"Tells you where to find lower prices when you're shopping at stores that don't offer Cash Back" (Assuming this is true, why would they steer you to someone not in their retailer network?)
Watching from the sidelines ... I find this all interesting, frightening, amusing, and probably something geared more for you big kids spending hundreds and thousands, with the attention span long enough to sort it all out to reduce risk.
Is there even another way of using Ebates without the extension? I've always used the extension and when I'm ready to purchase I uninstall all my adblockers just in case they disable Ebates. The extension works very well once you do that.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:
deckeda wrote:I recently signed up to Ebates but haven't bought anything. One of my recent emails is pushing the browser plugin. There's one for Chrome and I think one for Safari and so on.

Is there even another way of using Ebates without the extension? I've always used the extension and when I'm ready to purchase I uninstall all my adblockers just in case they disable Ebates. The extension works very well once you do that.
In the past, I’ve clicked the link in the mobile app, or on the ebates website, which takes you to the stores website where you can make your purchase. I’ve rarely had issues with doing this.

I think it works like a “referral link” that caused so much trouble in the “other” forum.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

deckeda wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:49 pm I recently signed up to Ebates but haven't bought anything. One of my recent emails is pushing the browser plugin. There's one for Chrome and I think one for Safari and so on.

IMO, If you want to get the most out of Ebates, you need two things. The extension/add-on, and patience. The extension does do the things you listed above, although not always perfectly.

It activates the cash back and records your retailer visit as a "shopping trip" by clicking on the icon on your browser toolbar. The alternative is to start at the Ebates.com website and navigate to the retailer's site. It is wise to always check the main site regardless, to get all of the fine print and details of the cash back. For instance the fine print for this latest RGM deal stated that purchases made on the app were not eligible for cash back (This was not a post hoc change, it was clear from the start). Let me say that I also thought I was not a "browser extension" type of person and it can be very annoying when it continually pops up as I jump from one ebay listing to the next. But the benefits outweigh the annoyances for me.

It also can automatically try all the relevant coupon codes in hopes of finding the best one. This is a bit clunky. If your add-on is activated, when you get to checkout and click in the promo code box, a little pop-up will ask you if you would like to try a coupon. You click yes and it automatically tries each and every promo code that it has listed on the Ebates site. For a site like Ashford with a lot of codes, this can take a while. You can watch as this happens and occasionally a promo code will take money off but then continue through all the other codes and at the end tell you that none of them worked. Even though you saw it work with your own eyes. Just go back and manually apply that code. Also you will find that there a codes that are specific to Ebates so that's what you're stuck with. But there may be a better code listed on Retailmenot.com or elsewhere. Just having the extension doesn't guarantee you will get the best codes, but it does help.

It does occasionally tell you where you can find a better price on a product. It doesn't steer you from a Ebates partner to another retailer not in their network but rather the other way around. For example, you are browsing Jomashop (which is not eligible for cash back) and you click on a watch that is actually cheaper at Overstock (eligible for cash back). A little pop up will appear to alert you and direct you there. Sometimes the pop-up is correct but often it is wrong because it reads the regular price and not the sale price. The technology is imperfect so the add-on is definitely not a good substitute for a human that is a thorough browser, checker, nit-picker, and deal-finder.

Mostly what the extension gives you is peace of mind. There is no shortage of HUISABH members typing anxious Ebates/RGM posts over in the deals thread because their cash back has not come right away. I agree that it would be better if it always worked that way. But when you click on the extension icon, you see a pop-up and the icon changes color. Both of these things will let you know that cash back is activated. You can relax and you are free to browse and decide and checkout with the peace of mind that comes from seeing that the icon is the correct color and cash back is activated. Rather than continually checking. Then after your purchase you get a large pop-up that confirms your cash back and lets you know when you can expect it to post to your account. I find it good practice to screen shot the initial pop-up that shows you've activated your cash back and again when the second pop-up comes up that's shown you've completed a cash-back purchase.

I have often had cash back that doesn't post to my account immediately or sometimes doesn't post at all. But I always get it. I try to wait a while to give Ebates a chance to post it. If it doesn't happen, you can click on the help tab on their site. Enter all the information it asks and sometimes your cash back comes immediately. Other times the Ebates algorithm doesn't immediately approve it but instead sends it to a person to look it over. I think one time that first level person had to send it to a higher level for approval. Once I had to call and talk to a nice person and explain some nuances of my particular online purchase before it was approved.

TLDR - You should get the Ebates browser add-on/extension.
Last edited by yinzburgher on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.