We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by yinzburgher »

I think someone else may have posted something similar to this a little while back but I wanted to add what I was told by Rakuten CS about RGM cash back conditions going forward.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... 81215f.jpg[/IMG]
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

Kirk B wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:43 pm
claus1100xx wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 am Looks like all the cashback came through. Anybody out there still waiting for theirs to post?
Yup... I was told last week to wait another week. I just sent them a follow up e-mail. So I am still waiting on about $700 in cash back from 2/25 that has not come through yet.
I sent a follow up e-mail yesterday and the last of my cash back ($763) showed up today in my account. No e-mail and no notification from Rakuten, it just showed up. They also will not notify you when cash back mysteriously disappears - which happened to $2,400 for me before (it was restored though)! We get paid out in about a month on 5/15. I would highly recommend that everyone take screen shots of their current cash back balances and shopping trips to help you track if any CB disappears later.

I have only purchased from RGM three times. Each time was a hassle. One time I was actually physically sick in my stomach when a huge amount of CB disappeared for 24 hours (quickly disputed and quickly resolved). This last time was a long, long wait. Would I recommend this way of saving to others? Not on your life! I put up posts recommending this method of savings before, but I deleted them back in January. I'm not going to recommend that anyone else take this kind of risk. Rakuten is just playing too many games! Will I personally take the risk though? YES!!! I want to save money and this is a huge way to do that (assuming they continue with the 26% CB deals) - especially on higher priced, luxury watches.

This last go-around I got an Omega Speedmaster Professional moon watch sapphire sandwich in like new condition, box and papers, and off by just 4 sec/day. After coupons, Super Points, and the CB that came through today my final cost is $2,175. That watch just happens to be on my wrist today and it has secured a significant amount of wrist time since I got it. The bottom line though is that there is no way, no how that I could have ever, ever, ever gotten this watch for this price in the United States. I would have paid hundreds and hundreds more through the usual sources in the US. The only exception is maybe with Touch of Modern if you get one of their targeted deals, coupled with CB, and coupled with a site sale. But even then I would not buy pre-owned from ToM. So I will still buy from RGM and I will still bitch here when I don't get my CB and have to fight for it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[img][/img]
PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

Kirk B wrote:
Kirk B wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:43 pm
claus1100xx wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 am Looks like all the cashback came through. Anybody out there still waiting for theirs to post?
Yup... I was told last week to wait another week. I just sent them a follow up e-mail. So I am still waiting on about $700 in cash back from 2/25 that has not come through yet.
I sent a follow up e-mail yesterday and the last of my cash back ($763) showed up today in my account. No e-mail and no notification from Rakuten, it just showed up. They also will not notify you when cash back mysteriously disappears - which happened to $2,400 for me before (it was restored though)! We get paid out in about a month on 5/15. I would highly recommend that everyone take screen shots of their current cash back balances and shopping trips to help you track if any CB disappears later.

I have only purchased from RGM three times. Each time was a hassle. One time I was actually physically sick in my stomach when a huge amount of CB disappeared for 24 hours (quickly disputed and quickly resolved). This last time was a long, long wait. Would I recommend this way of saving to others? Not on your life! I put up posts recommending this method of savings before, but I deleted them back in January. I'm not going to recommend that anyone else take this kind of risk. Rakuten is just playing too many games! Will I personally take the risk though? YES!!! I want to save money and this is a huge way to do that (assuming they continue with the 26% CB deals) - especially on higher priced, luxury watches.

This last go-around I got an Omega Speedmaster Professional moon watch sapphire sandwich in like new condition, box and papers, and off by just 4 sec/day. After coupons, Super Points, and the CB that came through today my final cost is $2,175. That watch just happens to be on my wrist today and it has secured a significant amount of wrist time since I got it. The bottom line though is that there is no way, no how that I could have ever, ever, ever gotten this watch for this price in the United States. I would have paid hundreds and hundreds more through the usual sources in the US. The only exception is maybe with Touch of Modern if you get one of their targeted deals, coupled with CB, and coupled with a site sale. But even then I would not buy pre-owned from ToM. So I will still buy from RGM and I will still bitch here when I don't get my CB and have to fight for it! [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

[img][/img]
Did you get hit with Duty fees on the Speedy?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

CVP33 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:06 pm Just pulled the trigger on another RGM deal despite my better judgement. This time it was coupon-based versus rebate so no real worries. Cashed out my 5,000 points + 3,000 coupon to score a lightly used Seiko Monster SZEN006 for $179. Waiting for the EMS bill not, suspect it'll be $30-ish. Ebates owes me a 5% rebate as well, but I honestly don't care at this price.
Order cancelled.......of course.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

CVP33 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:02 pm
CVP33 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:06 pm Just pulled the trigger on another RGM deal despite my better judgement. This time it was coupon-based versus rebate so no real worries. Cashed out my 5,000 points + 3,000 coupon to score a lightly used Seiko Monster SZEN006 for $179. Waiting for the EMS bill not, suspect it'll be $30-ish. Ebates owes me a 5% rebate as well, but I honestly don't care at this price.

Do you lose your points when the order is cancelled?
Not sure how that part works as I've yet to order off RGM
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

PopePants2 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:50 pm Did you get hit with Duty fees on the Speedy?
Nope, no duty fees into the United States - not on the Speedy or on a Rolex GMT that I got in December and was 3X the cost of the Speedy. Both were shipped Japan Post. I think I got lucky.
PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

Kirk B wrote:
PopePants2 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:50 pm Did you get hit with Duty fees on the Speedy?
Nope, no duty fees into the United States - not on the Speedy or on a Rolex GMT that I got in December and was 3X the cost of the Speedy. Both were shipped Japan Post. I think I got lucky.
Nice! I've had items ship from out of the country many times in the past, and never got hit with fees.

This time, however, all three purchases got hit. 2 Japan Post / EMS and the third DHL. It's obviously not so common, (at least wasn't so common), as the clerk in the Post Office commented something about "the last time I dealt with Duty and fees was years ago..."

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:16 pm
CVP33 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Do you lose your points when the order is cancelled?
Not sure how that part works as I've yet to order off RGM
No loss in points and coupon is restored. Sucks, really wanted that one.
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

I am waiting for the next RGM sale to drop and looking ahead at the particular models I am interested in. At the top of the RGM page you can select your language and your shipping country. I think most of you know this, but if you select Japan as your country you will see a LOT more options for watches. Dealers must be able to select if they are not willing to ship overseas or not, and there are a lot of them that will only ship domestically. The thing is that you might be missing out on a bunch of good deals if you don't consider shipping to a Japanese address. That of course means using Rakuten Global Express, as the Rakuten/Ebates policy is very clear now that they are the only forwarding service that you can use. Be aware that getting signed up on RGE requires verification of an ID (it's a Japanese government requirement) and it can take a few days. So don't wait until the next sale starts to get signed up with RGE.

This all makes a lot more sense if you are looking at expensive, luxury watches. I get a ton more options if searching under "Japan" as my country. For example, one model I am looking at is $3,600 new (assuming 26% CB) if searching under "United States" as my country and that dealer will ship directly to the US. But if I search using "Japan" I can find the same watch new for $3,200 or a new store display for $2,600. So maybe I need to pay $30-40 more to use the RGE forwarding service, but I can save $400 - $1,000 off the price of the watch doing that!!!

Any down side to using Rakuten Global Express? Anyone have experience with them?
claus1100xx
MoT Member

Post by claus1100xx »

Kirk B wrote:I am waiting for the next RGM sale to drop and looking ahead at the particular models I am interested in. At the top of the RGM page you can select your language and your shipping country. I think most of you know this, but if you select Japan as your country you will see a LOT more options for watches. Dealers must be able to select if they are not willing to ship overseas or not, and there are a lot of them that will only ship domestically. The thing is that you might be missing out on a bunch of good deals if you don't consider shipping to a Japanese address. That of course means using Rakuten Global Express, as the Rakuten/Ebates policy is very clear now that they are the only forwarding service that you can use. Be aware that getting signed up on RGE requires verification of an ID (it's a Japanese government requirement) and it can take a few days. So don't wait until the next sale starts to get signed up with RGE.

This all makes a lot more sense if you are looking at expensive, luxury watches. I get a ton more options if searching under "Japan" as my country. For example, one model I am looking at is $3,600 new (assuming 26% CB) if searching under "United States" as my country and that dealer will ship directly to the US. But if I search using "Japan" I can find the same watch new for $3,200 or a new store display for $2,600. So maybe I need to pay $30-40 more to use the RGE forwarding service, but I can save $400 - $1,000 off the price of the watch doing that!!!

Any down side to using Rakuten Global Express? Anyone have experience with them?
Curious about this as well. Hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

I just want to point something out here... RGM did 26% cash back at the end of December. Two months later they did 26% cash back at the end of February. We're coming up on the end of April and 2 months since the last 26% cash back deal. Will they do it again??? I have no idea. I am doubtful that this is sustainable though. They have to be losing money when they give that much cash back! If you want to buy pre-owned the best deals go quickly. It might be prudent to then shop around now and bookmark your top choices. If you need to use Rakuten Global Express, sign up now. Be prepared...

Personally, I don't think these 26% CB deals will continue. I would love to be wrong. Just in case it comes back though I am prepared to pounce the moment it's announced. :-)
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Rakuten, the cash back site, now has a coupon available for Rakuten Global Market. Details and links are below. When I applied it to an item, it took $44.68 (or roughly 5000 JPY) off rather than $50. That beats paying full price though. Cash back is currently at 4%.

$50 off sitewide on orders +$350
+ 4.0% Cash Back
Code: MM0T-DBC6-Y7XF-UZMK
Exp. 04/30/2019

https://www.rakuten.com/globalrakuten.com

https://global.rakuten.com/en/?ranMID=3 ... WWISKx8lJw
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Re: Heads Up! I Saw A Bargain Here! 2019
#6579 Post by testing123 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:07 pm
16% cash back at globalrakuten through rakuten/ebates
As reported by [mention]testing123[/mention] in the deals thread, Rakuten has 16% cash back at RGM. The $50 off coupon code (MM0T-DBC6-Y7XF-UZMK) from the post above has disappeared from Rakuten's RGM page but I just tested it, and it still works. It should continue through the 30th. I'm thinking and hoping this goes to 26% before the coupon expires. It looks like [mention]Kirk B[/mention]'s pattern might be panning out.

https://www.rakuten.com/globalrakuten.com
Cash Back Terms
Cash Back will be automatically added to your Rakuten account within a few weeks.
Exclusions: Cash Back is not available on the purchase or redemption of gift cards. Cash Back is not available on a purchase shipped to Japan or when freight forwarding or proxy services are used, except for Rakuten Global Express. Cash Back is not available on a purchase placed through the Rakuten mobile app or Rakuten Ichiba.
[img][/img]
Last edited by yinzburgher on Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
uvalaw2005
MoT Member

Post by uvalaw2005 »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:48 pm As reported by testing123 in the deals thread, Rakuten has 16% cash back at RGM. The coupon from the post above has disappeared from Rakuten's RGM page but I just tested it, and it still works. It should continue through the 30th. I'm thinking and hoping this goes to 26% before the coupon expires. It looks like @Kirk B's pattern might be panning out.
One thing to note is that many shops in Japan will be closed starting today through sometime in May (seiko3s is closed until May 6) because of the abdication of Emperor Akihito on Wednesday and the ascension of Crown Prince Naruhito the following day.
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

Kirk B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:14 pm I just want to point something out here... RGM did 26% cash back at the end of December. Two months later they did 26% cash back at the end of February. We're coming up on the end of April and 2 months since the last 26% cash back deal. Will they do it again??? I have no idea. I am doubtful that this is sustainable though. They have to be losing money when they give that much cash back! If you want to buy pre-owned the best deals go quickly. It might be prudent to then shop around now and bookmark your top choices. If you need to use Rakuten Global Express, sign up now. Be prepared...

Personally, I don't think these 26% CB deals will continue. I would love to be wrong. Just in case it comes back though I am prepared to pounce the moment it's announced. :-)
RGM cash back through Rakuten just jumped to 22%! Just like clock work. I would expect it to last ~24 hours... Too bad it's not 26%. Again, I just don't see how 26% is sustainable for them. They're trying to buy market share outside of Japan! It's going to cost me $200 more to buy what I want at 22% versus 26%, but I still think I'm going to jump on it. 2,000 points back if you use RGE - link on the home page, you need to sign up.