We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by TheJohnP »

Here's my noob/dumb question.

So not familiar with ebates, other than reading about it on the threads, you don't get an immediate discount, just cash back at some point?

Using the current GR as an example, a $500 watch would still be $500 charged and you'd get $130 back somehow? Not $370 at checkout?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

TheJohnP wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:23 pm Here's my noob/dumb question.

So not familiar with ebates, other than reading about it on the threads, you don't get an immediate discount, just cash back at some point?

Using the current GR as an example, a $500 watch would still be $500 charged and you'd get $130 back somehow? Not $370 at checkout?
Correct. You pay full price up front. Then a few times a year Ebates send you a check (or deposits the money into your Paypal account).
I wish that watch were 38mm?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TheJohnP wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:23 pm Here's my noob/dumb question.

Correct, you got it. You get a check every 3 months for all your accumulated cash back. You see a detailed account of all of it on when you log in to your Ebates account. So you know exactly how much to expect on your check.

https://www.ebates.com/help/article/get ... 5009255748
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

TAX TAX TAX

Please tell me about tax with Rakuten Global. A quick web search says that anything under like a million and a half Yen is 5% tax. Do the sellers try to charge you tax pretty consistently and is that negotiable?

As noted earlier in this thread, the big deals are on expensive, vintage used pieces. I bought something yesterday for $9,000. So 5% tax is a big deal as it would be $450!!! Does the cash back apply to the tax too, if it's charged? Shipping? So is it cash back on just the purchase price, or the total price?

What I've seen one other person do is buy three watches of the same type from different sellers, then try to negotiate the tax and thus best deal later when they sent the invoices. Seems a little shady to me though as when you check out with the watch you are taking it away from being available to other buyers during the discount time. If you're doing that with multiple watches, then you're really shorting your other deal seeker buddies.

In my case though I had two watches the same price, similar condition. I bought the one that was slightly better. I'm wondering if I shouldn't go back and check out with the other one though so that I have some options on tax. What do you think?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Kirk B wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:46 pm TAX TAX TAX

Please tell me about tax with Rakuten Global. A quick web search says that anything under like a million and a half Yen is 5% tax. Do the sellers try to charge you tax pretty consistently and is that negotiable?

As noted earlier in this thread, the big deals are on expensive, vintage used pieces. I bought something yesterday for $9,000. So 5% tax is a big deal as it would be $450!!! Does the cash back apply to the tax too, if it's charged? Shipping? So is it cash back on just the purchase price, or the total price?

What I've seen one other person do is buy three watches of the same type from different sellers, then try to negotiate the tax and thus best deal later when they sent the invoices. Seems a little shady to me though as when you check out with the watch you are taking it away from being available to other buyers during the discount time. If you're doing that with multiple watches, then you're really shorting your other deal seeker buddies.

In my case though I had two watches the same price, similar condition. I bought the one that was slightly better. I'm wondering if I shouldn't go back and check out with the other one though so that I have some options on tax. What do you think?
You might find that you don't have to pay any tax. Better yet, sometimes the tax has been included in the list price and when the seller sends me the email to confirm the sale, the tax has been removed from the purchase price bc I'm not a resident of Japan. I've always had some cost to pay for shipping and I don't believe it counts towards the cash back % but I'm not certain.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Kirk B wrote:TAX TAX TAX

In my experience Ebates doesn't include tax or shipping ever. Ebates just factors in whatever list price is. And in the past I'm always charged Japanese tax, though I didn't ask to remove it since they were Small purchases anyways and I was already getting a good enough deal for it to be worth my time.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

When I bought from Chino via RG in the past he removed the tax on his own before charging me. This time I ordered from Seiko 3s and in the second confirmation email I received it says no tax in the tax line however I'm pretty sure it is built into the price since the price advertised when I bought from Chino went lower after he removed the tax. However I have not received an actually PayPal link email to pay Seiko 3s yet so it could change but I doubt it.

Ebates still does not show any check mark or rebate for my RG shopping trip. If it doesn't show up by the time I get a PayPal invoice from the seller I will likely cancel the order.
Last edited by mplsabdullah on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

mplsabdullah wrote:
Ebates still does not show any green check or rebate for my RG shopping trip. If it doesn't show up by the time I get a PayPal invoice from the seller I will likely cancel the order.
Same here.
Slant
MoT Member

Post by Slant »

Robotaz wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:35 am
mplsabdullah wrote:
Ebates still does not show any green check or rebate for my RG shopping trip. If it doesn't show up by the time I get a PayPal invoice from the seller I will likely cancel the order.
Same here.
Is there a difference between a "green check" or a regular black checkmark under the "Cash Back" column for the shopping trip? Serious question since this was my very first time using ebates.com.

Reason I ask is, I did an online chat earlier with an ebates rep asking about my trip not having a checkmark. She asked a few questions and right away she posted my cash back for my Rakuten trip. Checkmark is black instead of green though but looks like everything is in order.

Maybe do an online chat and see how it goes. It was very quick and painless so now when the email comes from the Japanese seller I can just pay it.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Slant wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:35 am
mplsabdullah wrote:
Same here.
Is there a difference between a "green check" or a regular black checkmark under the "Cash Back" column for the shopping trip? Serious question since this was my very first time using ebates.com.

Reason I ask is, I did an online chat earlier with an ebates rep asking about my trip not having a checkmark. She asked a few questions and right away she posted my cash back for my Rakuten trip. Checkmark is black instead of green though but looks like everything is in order.

Maybe do an online chat and see how it goes. It was very quick and painless so now when the email comes from the Japanese seller I can just pay it.
Not sure why I thought the check marks are green. I went back and they are actually black, lol.

I did a chat online however it was with their automated system. I gave the info and it said they would email me.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

mplsabdullah wrote:
Slant wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:35 am

Same here.

Not sure why I thought the check marks are green. I went back and they are actually black, lol.

I did a chat online however it was with their automated system. I gave the info and it said they would email me.
I don’t even have a US dollar amount to message them about.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Robotaz wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:18 pm
I don’t even have a US dollar amount to message them about.
When I gave the automated system the amount in jpy it put it as $50,760 so I checked the conversion rate online and gave that instead.

I am a little surprised at the hassle this is since RG and Ebates are part of the same company. Last time things went much smoother and faster for me. I had my cash back showing within 24 hours of ordering and had my watch delivered within about 3 days of ordering.
milkham
MoT Member

Post by milkham »

Does the email with the final cost come from rakuten or somewhere else? Should I be checking my spam folder?
Slant
MoT Member

Post by Slant »

I just gave them the JPY amount and the rep told me to hold for about a minute and came back with the correct rebate amount in USD.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

milkham wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:49 pm Does the email with the final cost come from rakuten or somewhere else? Should I be checking my spam folder?
It comes through the Rakuten server.