We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Touch of Modern - thoughts?

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Touch of Modern - thoughts?

Post by TheJohnP »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:43 pm I think I'm pretty much done with Touch of Modern.

Had a targeted 15% off recently, plus the $500 gift card that I netted paying $375 for.
Nothing really caught my eye then I saw this Maurice Lacroix Pontos power reserve

[img][/img]

Which they had listed for $750.
Not a bad price.

When I went to pay, it gave me the 15% off $750 so $637.50
Less the $500 in store credit from the gift card and I would only be out $137.50 plus $10 for shipping.
Then when I processed the order, they screwed me.

Instead of taking the 15% off the full $750, they took the $500 off first and then the 15% from the remainder, so I only got a $37.50 discount.
On top of that, I got hit with tax too.

So where I thought I'd only have to spend an extra $147.50, I was charged $287
Talk about bait and switch pricing. Ugh.

I immediately submitted a cancellation request. Then I hear nothing for the full business day. So I text them. No response all day Friday.
Finally get a response on Saturday, where someone said they would "escalate" things.
Then I get a status update this afternoon that "item is being prepared by supplier," so I go ahead and call the number they ask you to text and surprisingly got a human. They said my case was still being looking into (3 business days later) and should know more by EOD today or tomorrow.

Even if and when I can get this order cancelled, I'll still stuck having to spend the $500 in credit with them.
But that will likely be the last I do spend at ToM after how they processed that payment and their lack of customer support.

The case is "resolved."
They said they couldn't cancel the order because it was a final sale. I'm sure if someone was working on Thursday, that might be a different outcome. But they did refund me $75 to cover the total 15% off the purchase price. So there's that.

Still not 100% satisfied, but the refund helps.
And done with ToM for the foreseeable future.

**UPDATE**
So made sure I had Ebates/Rakuten going for the 5% cash back on this purchase.
But of course ToM found a way to screw me over there too.
Instead of cash back on the full $750, only getting cash back on the $250.
At least it's something, I suppose...
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:06 pm I think I'm pretty much done with Touch of Modern.
I'm tellin' ya, them nipple-challenged models shoulda been the first sign. Always trust in St. Zappa's testimony.

audio.bill
MoT Member

Post by audio.bill »

I've only purchased one previous watch from ToM, an Alpina Alpiner 4 which arrived in perfect brand new condition without any problems. I'm aware of the issues many have had with ToM, and I'm always a bit reluctant to purchase from them primarily due to their all sales final policy. I only purchase brand new watches but have been surprised to see that while they previously had a return option on their used models (which only makes sense to me since you can't be certain of the condition) that has apparently now been eliminated. :?

I still check their daily sales regularly and have been watching for a good deal on an Anonimo Nautilo watch which I found last Friday night. It was one of their famous 'lower price for first 24 hours only' deals, being initially priced at $799.99 while listing at $2,330 and was later raised to $849.99. I couldn't help myself, and I'd like to acknowledge the enabling encouragement from [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] who I consulted with due to his more extensive experience with ToM. So with some admitted reservation I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Saturday at the initial offering price. :roll: Generally it takes a couple of weeks for their orders to ship, but their Anonimo page stated that they were in stock and would be shipped within a few days...

On Monday I received shipping confirmation with tracking info and you can't ask for quicker shipment than that. I know these watches are regularly sold by Gemnation, and noticed that the package was shipped by Timeworks International in Brooklyn. Doing a little research I found that they're a watch wholesaler located at a slightly different address but in the same building as Gemnation. I received the watch and everything is perfect with it, shipped in the oversized Anonimo presentation box very well packed in an even larger box with plenty of protection. While I'm not wearing it yet I thought I'd share a wrist shot I found which shows the watch quite realistically although I have a significantly larger wrist. It's a real beauty and I think one of the sharpest looking watches in my collection! :D

tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

I have bought two watches from ToM.

OK, I'm hardly a playa, but, still: No email from them at all. No inducements, nothing.

:?:
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Last I bought from ToM was about two years ago.
I purposely avoid going on the site, probably been over six months at least.

I actually got that 20% off email invite, which I ignored.
They're probably trying to "win" me back.
Good luck with that.
Click Icon To Contact Me

audio.bill
MoT Member

Post by audio.bill »

Recently purchased a Mido Ocean Star GMT from Touch of Modern which was listed as brand new with factory warranty (which I had my doubts about.) The price was right so even though there are no returns I went ahead and placed my order and delivery was expected in 3 to 4 weeks as a bulk order shipment. I received the watch in 3 weeks and it was brand new with all factory plastic in place on the watch case, bracelet and buckle. The only thing missing was a manual and warranty card which were specifically shown as included in the product listing.

I contacted their customer support but to be honest wasn't expecting much effort on their part to resolve this with their reputation for questionable after the sale customer service. I was pleasantly surprised when I received a very apologetic response in less than an hour stating that they would look into it and get back to me, thanking me in advance for my patience while they tried to address the issue. The next day I got another email from them apologizing that they hadn't received a response from their vendor yet asking if I could give them some additional time. Later that day I received a shipment notice from FedEx of a package being sent overnight to me from SGUS in NJ (I know that to be The Swatch Group, the US distributor of Mido). So they apparently did source these Mido watches directly from Swatch who then express shipped me the missing manual and warranty card.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I've avoided them for years now, but others may want to stop supporting a company that won't pay their vendors.

Lot of brands and vendors sharing their frustration here:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.touchofmodern.com

This note from ToM that was shared sheds more light.

A note from Jerry: Founder & CEO of Touch of Modern:

My Dear Friend,

Thank you for your trust in me over the past years, and for working with us to create value together for countless customers. I consider myself fortunate to know you and to have worked with you over these past years.

Retail is a tough business and balancing profitability while satisfying customers' expectations within our new business model has proven more difficult than anticipated. I am sorry that we ended up in a position where we are unable to pay for goods and services provided prior to May 28,2022.

I know you have personally been on this journey with us over the last 10 years. Through hours of deliberation, research, discussion, and worry I determined that the best way to serve Touch of Modern's vendors, customers and employees is to partner with CSC Generation Holdings, Inc. This partnership allows us to better support the growth of your business and ToMo, and we believe there is significant upside as we move into this new chapter. Thank you for your support through this transition and I look forward to many years of growth together.

Sincerely,
Jerry
Click Icon To Contact Me

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

TheJohnP wrote:I've avoided them for years now, but others may want to stop supporting a company that won't pay their vendors.

Lot of brands and vendors sharing their frustration here:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.touchofmodern.com

This note from ToM that was shared sheds more light.

A note from Jerry: Founder & CEO of Touch of Modern:

My Dear Friend,

Thank you for your trust in me over the past years, and for working with us to create value together for countless customers. I consider myself fortunate to know you and to have worked with you over these past years.

Retail is a tough business and balancing profitability while satisfying customers' expectations within our new business model has proven more difficult than anticipated. I am sorry that we ended up in a position where we are unable to pay for goods and services provided prior to May 28,2022.

I know you have personally been on this journey with us over the last 10 years. Through hours of deliberation, research, discussion, and worry I determined that the best way to serve Touch of Modern's vendors, customers and employees is to partner with CSC Generation Holdings, Inc. This partnership allows us to better support the growth of your business and ToMo, and we believe there is significant upside as we move into this new chapter. Thank you for your support through this transition and I look forward to many years of growth together.

Sincerely,
Jerry
So the new owners buy ToM, dumped by the first people (American dream), and claim they as the new owners don’t owe those debts. I’m sorry, but when did companies get to sell away their debts? You could just create a new company over and over and shuffle debt out the door if that were legal.

ToM is toast. Dunzo. Good riddance.