We're Moving!

Click for more info.

My experience with Dan Henry Watches

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

My experience with Dan Henry Watches

Post by yinzburgher »

Back in September of 2017 I bought a Dan Henry 1970 watch. I had known about Dan Henry watches for a little while and I really liked all the designs. But they were all quartz but quartz really wasn't my thing so I never bought one. Then they came out with a great looking automatic retro-styled super compressor dive watch with two crowns and a rotating internal dive bezel and orange accenting. But it was 44mm......and 44mm wasn't really my thing either so once again I passed. Shortly thereafter, Dan Henry came out with a 40mm version of the 1970. 👌 This was exactly my thing so I bought one new straight from the DH website. 😎 I liked it from the start and have continued to grow more attached to it over time. You can find some of the background and my thoughts about the watch here in the Favorite Microbrands thread. Pic of my watch below.

I remember that shortly after buying the watch, I started reading about issues with the crystal. There were reports of the sapphire-coated mineral crystal cracking and shattering. And often it was happening spontaneously, while the watch was not even being worn. You can read about it here. I found the problem an odd one but I was liking my DH1970 more and more so there was no chance I was selling. Plus, my crystal was fine. No cracks, scratches, chips, or anything. I was one of the lucky ones......until I wasn't. Mine finally cracked this past August. 😢 It had been sitting in a watch roll unworn for 2 or 3 days and when I took it out, it looked like someone had taken a hammer and chisel to it. But there had been no trauma to the watch or any extreme temperature or pressure. It just cracked. And I could see small tiny particles of glass on the dial......not good.

So I emailed the customer service address that I found on the website and explained what happened. Within one hour of emailing, Dan Henry (the actual dude, not just the company) emailed back telling me where to send it and what info he needed, saying "I will take care of it." The next day I shipped the watch head only to Grand Central Watch (LINK HERE) in New York City and notified Dan Henry of the tracking number. 2 or 3 days later, I got a call from GCW to tell me they received the watch and would be emailing me when the service was complete. Then a couple days later I got the email that it was complete. And another email the next day saying I would be notified when it shipped. Then a little delay. I'm thinking maybe they took a very long Labor Day weekend. I was actually too busy at the time to be thinking very much about my watch. A few more days passed and the watch just showed up at the doorstep on 9/6.....the same day the tracking info showed up in my inbox. But everything was hunky-dory. The watch worked as it should and looked just as it did before, including the awesome blue anti-reflective coating on the now new and blemish-free crystal. All was well in yinzburgher's world.

I can 100% recommend Dan Henry as a company and I highly recommend not only their watches but their customer service. The spontaneously shattering/cracking crystal on some of these has been very unfortunate but how an individual or company responds to something like this says a lot about their character and integrity. I also recommend Grand Central Watch and judging by their reviews on Yelp here and on Google here, it seems that others feel similarly. But mostly I'm just really happy to have this watch back in my collection and on my wrist. A great design and a very fun watch!

Feel free to add any experience you've had with Dan Henry Watches here....or just any comments you may have. Thanks for reading.

P.S. - Keep an eye on the New and Upcoming Releases Thread here for an "upgraded 1970 Automatic Diver," which will be shown 10/25 at Wind-Up Watch Fair NYC and will be ready to ship worldwide in November.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: My experience with Dan Henry Watches

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

If only Zodiac watches had this level of service -_-
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole