As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Omega AT 8900 Landed!

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
N8G

Omega AT 8900 Landed!

Post by N8G »

I landed a grail with Jomashop deal I posted a few weeks ago. It wasn't a deal for all time, but good enough for me to feel good about it. Now that I have watch in hand, I feel even better about it. I chose the slate gray version with blue second hand (220.10.41.21.03.002).

After unboxing, I checked its accuracy and power reserve. It was running a bit faster than I would have liked (+6.5). I decided after a bit of deliberation it was close enough to spec to not sweat it, so I decided to size it and wear it. After about a day and a half, it has dropped to +4s a day. If it settles even more after another day or two, I will be very happy.

Also, I am really liking the face color after wearing. It can look very gray in certain light, but in varying light and angles it changes to a gray-blue, to dark blue, to almost violet. I think it will be a watch I never tire of looking at because of its manifold appearances. I find the case particularly handsome as well with the twisted lugs and various surfaces. Can you tell I am in the honeymoon phase? [emoji846]

Now the pics, where I captured the blue color under an overcast sky and more of the gray under incandescent lights with some natural light from the window (lending the blue reflections).

I think I will own this watch for a long, long time.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: Omega AT 8900 Landed!

Post by Dub Rubb »

Congrats man! No movement shot?!?! Just wait until you look at it under a loupe. The movement and indices finishing is in another level! The movement looks great to the naked eye, but under a loupe? Holeeeee smokes. It is my favorite watch, and while it is a great GADA watch, mine is reserved to special occasions. I do wish I had the bracelet though. Is it as spectacular as they say?

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

N8G

Post by N8G »

My mistake. I never should have neglected showing the beautiful movement. I don't have a loupe, but you are making me think I should have one.

The bracelet is very, very nice. It is so solid and tolerances seem very tight. Very little rattle from a vigorous wrist shake. I was able to get it sized very well removing 2 full and 1 half link. I was worried it wouldn't be the most comfortable bracelet as I was sizing, but it really is once I got it dialed in. I have seen reviews that say it doesn't quite measure up to Rolex quality which I can't dispute because I haven't owned a Rolex, but it is easily the best I own.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

I like everything about these types of watches. Sporty, classy, seaworthy without needing to satisfy wannabe Cousteaus or Bonds. I like dive watches as much as the next guy but today they are their own cliché.

This is the sort of thing so many other watches used to be, decades ago. Maybe not pure dress watches, but damn if you can't wear them anywhere. Little wonder the "1948" models go for eye-watering prices.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Great looking watch. Congrats
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

N8G wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:25 pm I landed a grail with Jomashop deal I posted a few weeks ago. It wasn't a deal for all time, but good enough for me to feel good about it. Now that I have watch in hand, I feel even better about it.

Congrats on the watch, looks amazing, love that dial!

I was just thinking about this today because I was exchanging PM's with someone over on WUS about it:

We feel good about the watches that we buy.

But does getting a "good deal" on that watch also add a significant amount of satisfaction to the watch?

I know this is a factor for me and seems to be the case with the OP and this Omega AT 8900. I know I have some watches I really like and I look at that watch on my wrist and I think, "Wow, I really like that watch". But there are other watches I really like that I also got smoking hot deals on and it affects the way I look at and feel about those watches. For example, I got in on the Ashford Jean Richard Hokusai sale last year. I look at that watch on my wrist and think, "Wow, look at that beautiful blue dial and I just can't believe that I got this limited edition, Japanese market, Swiss watch for $600. What on Earth was Ashford thinking giving these away that cheap???" Do I get more pleasure out of the watches that I got amazing deals on... well, yes I do!

We always say here "Buy the watch, don't just buy the deal". The win/win though is like the OP is to buy the watch you want AND get a great deal, thus not only minimizing the impact on your wallet, but maximizing the joy you feel in your heart related to that watch! :D