We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Ashford: Manufacturer model#, what's that?

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
cel4145
MoT Member

Ashford: Manufacturer model#, what's that?

Post by cel4145 »

The day after Christmas, I ordered this Oris Artix watch from Ashford when it was on sale for $649:
https://www.ashford.com/us/watches/oris ... 782180.pid
The watch finally arrives, and the dial does not look black. More of a steel blue.
oris-blue_edited.jpg
And then there was the gotcha moment: I forget to check the model #. While Ashford describes the dial as black and has a photo of the black dial version, the model# Ashford has listed is blue on Orix's website:
https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-artix ... 07-8-21-80

Then, I email Ashford and explain, and they ask if I want to do an exchange. I ask how can you can do an exchange when you don't have a black dial model# on the website? They write me back and assure me that they do have some black dials under that model#
facepalm.gif
Needless to say, I am getting a refund instead of betting on the model # roulette by trying an exchange. Ashford is apparently not too concerned about whether or not their product inventory matches up with the manufacturer model #.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Ashford: Manufacturer model#, what's that?

Post by TheJohnP »

I've ordered from Ashford once and it didn't go well.
It was during a sale on pre-owned, so I bought a Hamilton Everest.

Technically, they did send me a pre-owned Everest BUT the women's version.That thing was so tiny.
It took forever and a few customer service reps before someone understood the situation. Had to show them photos measuring out the case diameter and even send them their links to both the men's and women's version of the same watch to show the difference in what I ordered and what I had received.

Eventually got them to accept a return, since they obviously didn't have any more in stock.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I've ordered probably 20 watches, at least, from Ashford and have nothing but good things to say about them. Some of the watches I bought were $4K+.

I'm assuming they apologized and sent a pre-paid label for the return, hassle-free, and asked you how you'd like to resolve it to your pleasure. It could have been a lot worse.

I would take them at their word and give them another chance. Ashford is easily the best online vendor I've dealt with when it comes to watches. They don't accept unhappy customers.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

I've never ordered from them. Still, I wouldn't crucify them over what appears to be a simple error. Maybe if they were unresponsive, rude, refused to exchange or refund, or if what you received was obviously used, broken, or fake. Since it doesn't sound like any of those apply, maybe give them a chance before pulling out the guns?
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:27 pm I've never ordered from them. Still, I wouldn't crucify them over what appears to be a simple error. Maybe if they were unresponsive, rude, refused to exchange or refund, or if what you received was obviously used, broken, or fake. Since it doesn't sound like any of those apply, maybe give them a chance before pulling out the guns?
I don't believe that I crucified them, did I? I am merely sharing my experience since this is the "Deal Reports" forum. I have ordered from them several times in the past and would do so again.

I'm just cautioning Ashford is not being very reliable about their product descriptions, since they don't particularly seem to care if they are accurate. I notified them a week ago about the problem, and that product page is still up. It has conflicting information, given that the dial description is black, the photo is black, and then the manufacturer number is for the blue dial version, and the blue is the one that they shipped out. Although they say they have black dial ones with that model #, too. Image

Meanwhile, the fact that they accept a return of the item doesn't negate that it is annoying. But again, I should have been more cautious and caught the model # mismatch myself before ordering.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

There’s no question they screwed up. It’s the first legitimate complaint I’ve heard other than your thread’s first reply.

I know a lot has changed at Ashford. Maybe down in the inner-workings something has been compromised.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Maybe have them confirm that someone actually physically puts eyes on it and confirms they have a black dial available.

The black dial Artix is great watch. One of the few longer term keeper watches I have.

I wore it yesterday. Image

Hard to catch the dial in pictures but I really enjoy it.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

Bummer that happened. I have the blue dial (the one you don't want apparently) and treasure it. I wear it with all sorts of colors-- blacks, browns, and everything else. Perhaps this is a happy accident and you should just keep it. :)
- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

mplsabdullah wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:32 pm Maybe have them confirm that someone actually physically puts eyes on it and confirms they have a black dial available.

The black dial Artix is great watch. One of the few longer term keeper watches I have.

I love how yours looks. I have been wanting one for a while.

Ashford said that they looked in the warehouse and that they have a black dial version there. Only they tell me it's with the blue dial model #. Unless they had offered me an actual photo of it, I just couldn't see myself reordering it again just to find out I got another steel blue one.

Oh well. Watches are like buses. If you miss a deal on one, another will be along in before too long. No sense, though, getting on a bus that you think might take you in the wrong direction :D
Last edited by cel4145 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Personally I have ordered at least a dozen watches from Ashford without any issues at all. Were it me, I would give them a chance to remedy by sending you a black one. You can always return it for refund if it is not right.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

cel4145 wrote:
mplsabdullah wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:32 pm Maybe have them confirm that someone actually physically puts eyes on it and confirms they have a black dial available.

Ashford said that they looked in the warehouse and that they have a black dial version there. Only they tell me it's with the blue dial model #. Unless they had offered me an actual photo of it, I just couldn't see myself reordering it again just to find out I got another steel blue one.

Oh well. Watches are like buses. If you miss a deal on one, another will be along in about before too long. No sense, though, getting on a bus that you think might take you in the wrong direction :D
These Atrix models are no longer made and getting a bit harder to find. If you really like I would suggest trying again.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

mplsabdullah wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:20 pm
cel4145 wrote:

Oh well. Watches are like buses. If you miss a deal on one, another will be along in about before too long. No sense, though, getting on a bus that you think might take you in the wrong direction :D
These Atrix models are no longer made and getting a bit harder to find. If you really like I would suggest trying again.
I can wait. If I don't end up finding another one, it was just not meant to be :)