We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Sakura Watches - Not impressed

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Sakura Watches - Not impressed

Post by peskydonut »

I don't have the energy to write this up in full detail, so I'll just let the facts speak for themselves.

I bought a watch. It looked like this...

I contacted Sakura, they responded with this...

I followed up further stating that "No, you definiely do not have my understanding..." Got this...

Would you give them your business? I won't.
Living a comeback montage.
pgcity
MoT Member

Re: Sakura Watches - Not impressed

Post by pgcity »

peskydonut wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:43 pm I don't have the energy to write this up in full detail, so I'll just let the facts speak for themselves.

I followed up further stating that "No, you definiely do not have my understanding..." Got this...

Sorry to hear. Would they refund if you return it? On another note, the responses sound very similar to what I got when I contacted Seiko Customer Service in Asia. This was a general query about misalignment issues and to see if they would fix it. Here's the response I received from them:

1. Why is Seiko selling watches that are misaligned? Is this acceptable to Seiko’s quality control?
Answer:It is standard from factory.
2. Is it possible to get it fixed if I paid money to Seiko Service center instead of a warranty claim?
Answer: We cannot do it.
Last edited by pgcity on Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Ouch.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

pgcity wrote:
peskydonut wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:43 pm I don't have the energy to write this up in full detail, so I'll just let the facts speak for themselves.

Sorry to hear. Would they refund if you return it? On another note, the responses sound very similar to what I got when I contacted Seiko Customer Service in Asia. This was a general query about misalignment issues and to see if they would fix it. Here's the response I received from them:

1. Why is Seiko selling watches that are misaligned? Is this acceptable to Seiko’s quality?
2. Is it possible to get it fixed if I paid money to Seiko Service center instead of a warranty claim?
Nope. They offered no resolution whatsoever. Just "our website says we don't consider this to be a defect", full stop.

I do not subscribe to their cognitive dissonance. The watch is misaligned, which is a defect. Admittedly not a major one, but a defect nonetheless.

That's ok. Plenty of other places to shop for watches that are deserving of business.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

This is kind of a ridiculous idea, but I thought of proposing a challenge wherein participants contact the Seiko leadership in an attempt to elicit a response regarding Seiko's stance on misalignment.
pgcity wrote:

1. Why is Seiko selling watches that are misaligned? Is this acceptable to Seiko’s quality control?
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

peskydonut wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:33 pm This is kind of a ridiculous idea, but I thought of proposing a challenge wherein participants contact the Seiko leadership in an attempt to solicit a response regarding Seiko's stance on misalignment.
pgcity wrote:

I doubt they'll respond with anything different since its not a new issue,as in they know about it and don't care plus has been going on for years.One standard reply can be seen below:
https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/repl ... g.4671369/
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

pgcity wrote:
peskydonut wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:33 pm This is kind of a ridiculous idea, but I thought of proposing a challenge wherein participants contact the Seiko leadership in an attempt to solicit a response regarding Seiko's stance on misalignment.
pgcity wrote:

I doubt they'll respond with anything different since its not a new issue,as in they know about it and don't care plus has been going on for years.One standard reply can be seen below:
https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/repl ... g.4671369/
Oh I know and I'm certain they won't. But that shouldn't stop people from calling them out.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Can't offer anything more than a "that sucks." Thanks at least for sharing your experience so we can keep it in mind when shopping.

Do you like the watch otherwise? What'd you get it for if you don't mind saying? I have had my eye on the gray one.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Boourns wrote:Can't offer anything more than a "that sucks." Thanks at least for sharing your experience so we can keep it in mind when shopping.

Do you like the watch otherwise? What'd you get it for if you don't mind saying? I have had my eye on the gray one.
Absolutely love the watch. I chose to ignore the misalignment, but as evidenced by this thread, part of me is still quite annoyed at the dismissive treatment.

I paid ¥47981 which came to about $450 shipped.

I tried for months to get this watch from REJ, hoping to use the MoT IC discount. Eventually they just told me they can't get it, which is when I opted for the JDM version from Sakura.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Unfortunately this is a hallmark of Seiko. I try to only buy Seiko from places I can easily return the watch to if needed be. I once received 3 turtles shipped direct from Seiko in new jersey with defects ranging from slight misalignment to a bad movement. Not to mention many other Seikos I've received with issues such as scratched dials, etc.

Seiya is one of the most reputed Seiko sellers out of Japan and he added a disclaimer years ago to his Seiko listings:
"NOTE

The chapter ring and index & bezel index and face index are not aligned perfectly."

If Seiko themselves doesn't consider these as defective then it's hard to hold their retailers to any different standard.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

This has unnfortunately kept me from buying a Seiko. I mean, even Invicta has figured out how to align the chapter ring consistently...how difficult or expensive could it be?!!!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

peskydonut wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:20 pm
Boourns wrote:Can't offer anything more than a "that sucks." Thanks at least for sharing your experience so we can keep it in mind when shopping.

Absolutely love the watch. I chose to ignore the misalignment, but as evidenced by this thread, part of me is still quite annoyed at the dismissive treatment.

I paid ¥47981 which came to about $450 shipped.

I tried for months to get this watch from REJ, hoping to use the MoT IC discount. Eventually they just told me they can't get it, which is when I opted for the JDM version from Sakura.
Well those were my two ideas: Ask REJ and offer to buy yours. So back to the drawing board. :lol:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Haha. So Sakura sent me one of those automated emails, asking to review my transaction. I left a critical review (nothing inflammatory). It was up for less than 24hrs; checked this morning and it's been removed.

Again, just the facts- draw your own conclusions.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

That's unfortunate. For what it's worth, it's still a really cool-looking watch. I've heard of Sakura but I don't have any experience with them and I'm not really familiar with what kind of reputation they have. It appears they mention the alignment thing on this page and this page. I'm all too familiar with the misaligned indices, chapter rings, inserts, etc on Seiko divers. Unfortunately I've come to the point where I basically just consider that a risk of buying a Seiko diver. I think about it as a 50/50 chance. So if I get one that's perfect or barely noticeable, I consider it a win. I think I've had better luck with 6R15 divers than I have with 4R36 or 7S26 but I don't think that's everybody's experience. And I bought a Shogun that was a pretty bad exception to that rule.

There are a few things buyers do to try to get a good one. Some just loyally buy from a seller that will cherry pick one with good alignment. But many sellers won't do that because then they are left holding all the bad ones and eventually getting emails from disappointed customers and maybe having to eat the costs of returns. As mentioned above, some just buy from sellers that take returns and cross their fingers. Some people find a good deal and then buy two and keep the good one. I did this successfully with SKX007s once. Got one good one, one bad one. Then sold the bad one with full disclosure. Sometimes misaligned chapter rings can be fixed/improved but not always. Some people only buy used Seikos with good photos so the alignment can be properly vetted. (Side note: I've seen a fair amount of stock photos put out by Seiko with hilariously bad alignment.) And of course, some people just don't take their chances any more and no longer buy Seiko divers. Personally I've "chosen" to accept when the alignment issues are barely noticeable but I still get upset with myself and Seiko when I get one that is too bad to ignore.

I think we may see more Seiko divers without chapter rings in the future. Two recent big releases, the Willards and 63MAS, have the chapter ring printed on the dial rather than a separate part. Maybe that is their solution going forward. But even with that change, I'm just not yet convinced that Seiko cares enough to fix this problem. Anyway I'm hoping you're still able to enjoy the watch.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

peskydonut, I sympathize with your frustration but feel it is being misdirected. Unlike many sellers, Sakura watches does clearly state in their return policy various reasons for not accepting returns, that misalignment issue being one. I have no affiliation. (Interesting one about G-Shock)

Returns are not accepted in the following cases:

Complaint about accuracy.
Time radio synchronisation function doesn't work in your area.
Non-uniformity for shaping of rubber, G-Shocks.
Complaint about the watch sizes.
Surface irregularity of luminous paint.
Colors of the watch is slightly different from the images.
Changing your mind.
Water resistance issues.
Misaligned hands, indexes or bezel.

I believe Seiko is the one to blame since they do not state, anywhere I have seen, the degree of misalignment they consider acceptable, meaning "buyer beware", we are at their mercy or lack of. As others have stated it's good practice to review the seller's return policy before purchasing, something I sometimes fail to do. Perhaps every time someone gets a misaligned Seiko they can send off an email to their local Seiko service center and to corporate in Japan. A constant dribble should at least get some attention.

When the misalignment isn't too far off, matter of personal opinion, one may be able to overcome it and enjoy the watch without obsessing over a detail. Hope it works out for you.