We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Yet another Glycine deal

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Yet another Glycine deal

Post by tommy_boy »

Maybe it's just me, but a Purist with Selitta-based motor and full lume dial (two-for-one features in my book) for under $400 shipped plus tax is a pretty good deal. The 8% eBay bucks covered the sales tax.

$428.25 less a few points from the rebate site and credit card makes it close to $415.50 net.

I have several 22mm straps and PVD buckles on hand if the stock strap is not appealing.

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/02/21/BZUTX.md.jpg[/img]
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Re: Yet another Glycine deal

Post by tommy_boy »

My fifth or sixth Glycine. For the price I paid, I am pleased.

I had a 42mm Base 22 with flat-ish lugs, and it was uncomfortable compare to this one.

The Purist models take a bit of getting used to, but figuring the time on a 24-hour basis keep me thinking. :D

The OEM nylon strap is in a drawer with two other unworn Glycine straps.

This Horween strap needed a watch head, so it gets first dibs.

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/03/02/VZNMjf.md.jpg[/img]
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

tommy_boy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:53 pm My fifth or sixth Glycine. For the price I paid, I am pleased.

I had a 42mm Base 22 with flat-ish lugs, and it was uncomfortable compare to this one.

The Purist models take a bit of getting used to, but figuring the time on a 24-hour basis keep me thinking. :D

The OEM nylon strap is in a drawer with two other unworn Glycine straps.

This Horween strap needed a watch head, so it gets first dibs.

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/03/02/VZNMjf.md.jpg[/img]
That's definitely a great deal for under $400. Especially when you consider there is typically a small premium to be paid for PVD/DLC cases and for lume-dialed sports watches. I think that would pair well with a black Cordura strap. Is it the case 40mm?
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

I have a black cordura strap in mind for it once the 18mm PVD buckle arrives from the other side of the planet.

This one would be a good fit if its hardware was black:

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/03/06/VuAMVK.md.jpg[/img]

The bezel is 40mm; the case is 41.8. 22mm lugs.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

I'll just add my pico-review here instead of starting a new thread. Ordered from that Glycine Gooroo on Ebay during the last sitewide coupon, and it arrived around the beginning of January. When I opened it, the plastic protector covering the crystal fell off, so it was pretty obviously a prior return. I didn't see anything else indicating it'd been touched, so whatever. The hour hand's about a quarter hour fast (I guess that's not uncommon?) which is probably why it was returned. I debated returning it because of that, but figured I'd at least try it out for a bit to see if I'd want to swap for an identical one or another Base-22 variation. So I synced it and my other most recent acquisitions to time.gov, put it on an Ague strap to preserve the original Glycine strap, and gave it a careful trial.

By the end of the return period, it was 10 seconds slow according to time.gov. Amusingly, it was exactly in sync, to the second, with my Citizen BM8180-03E. The accuracy won me over; the hour hand can be nudged later, not a big deal, but it's easily the most accurate mechanical watch I have right now. And incidentally, I just updated the time and date an hour or so ago, and this time it was about 30 seconds slow per time.gov. Thirty seconds off over a two month period!

[img][/img]

I tried to spoof the standard stealthy "Check out my awesome shoes too!" shot but kinda failed. Oh well. Rest assured the footwear is unspectacular. Green/pvd strap because Ague was all out of black/pvd by the time I jumped on their closeout. Anyway, this watch is now my regular daily piece, and part of the reason I've been inactive here lately. I just don't feel a burning need for anything else right now. And can't really afford any more for a while anyway...
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:19 pm That's definitely a great deal for under $400. Especially when you consider there is typically a small premium to be paid for PVD/DLC cases and for lume-dialed sports watches. I think that would pair well with a black Cordura strap. Is it the case 40mm?
Yeah, that's a h*ckin' deal, as I believe the kids are saying these days. And the all-black case really does seem to pair best with black NATO. I wasn't wholly taken with the green strap I'm currently using on mine, and think it'd do better on the GL0212. It's grown a bit on me over time though. I still wanna switch to a 2-piece at some point to help it lay flatter, though snipping the extra bit off the Ague helped a lot already.