We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Casio Core MTP1183E-7A Review [Glove Box Watch]

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Casio Core MTP1183E-7A Review [Glove Box Watch]

Post by BostonCharlie »

What I like about Sporkboy's Glove Box Watch challenge (here) is that it makes me look for a different kind of watch. That is how I found this quartz Casio Core MTP1183E-7A, which goes for around $25 on eBay, but AreaTrend had it on Rakuten's shop where the APPAREL20 code took it to under $20. I had some points, too, so I bought it for fun.

Stainless steel case, mineral crystal, leather strap, 30m WR, applied indices. I measured its dimensions as 37.4mm x 9.3mm, 39.2 with crown. Lug width: 20mm. Lug-to-lug: 42mm. Faux aligator leather strap. Snap-down case back. It has no lume and the hands are polished silver.

Here is a flattering photo I found at RedDeer. The cool, bluish tint of the dial matches how it looks to me in real life. The hands are polished silver:

It arrived from AreaTrend well packaged. The box included a pre-paid adhesive return label -- props to AreaTrend. The packaging was much nicer than I'm used to seeing for Casios. The crystal had a plastic protector, and the seconds hand hits half the marks (30-60) but lands a little after the others (1-30).

First live photo with packaging. The manual is under the stand. The protector is still on the crystal:

The finishing isn't perfect, but it's pretty good imo, especially for the price. If I had to, the only minor problem I would point to is that if you play the light along the left, flat side of the case (opposite the crown) you notice that the light will move a little unevenly along the 0.5" section between the left-hand lugs. It is something I have to look for. I would never notice while wearing it. OTOH, to Casio's credit, the case is nicely polished between the lugs where the strap goes.

Update: The brushing is coarser than on my nicer Seikos. Googling around I see that some folks have success brushing stainless with household tools. I might try that sometime to see if I can improve it.

I like the design, especially for glove box watch duty. The polished bezel top is a sharp ridge that rises ~0.5mm above the crystal. One thing that strikes me as odd is the crown position. Looking at the side of the watch onto the crown, it looks off center, like it should be closer to the top of the watch. However, its lower position makes it easy to hook with a fingernail and pull out.

The lugs don't leave much room for single-piece straps. I can't fit my 1.1mm thick Ague nato behind the springbar, but my 0.9mm thick Fossil nato fits and so does my son's perlon strap.

I wanted these photos to highlight the finishing and case details. I think I accomplished that, but the color really sucks (it's cloudy outside but I'm using a warm desk lamp to add highlights) -- sorry about that. Despite the warm flares that my lamp added, the watch details are all silver.

For the wrist shot I forced it onto my too-wide 22mm Fossil nato. I just wanted something to show how it fits on my 6.75" wrist, and I'm too lazy to put it back onto the stock leather strap.

[EDIT: the photo attachments have since been corrupted -- will see about re-uploading sometime.]
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocat
MoT Member

Re: Casio Core MTP1183E-7A Review [Glove Box Watch]

Post by Rocat »

That's not a bad quasi dress watch for under $30.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Re: Casio Core MTP1183E-7A Review [Glove Box Watch]

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

I'd originally looked up brushed metal finishing after finding out how easily a titanium watch bracelet scratches. Wikipedia gives grit ranges, which I found helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_metal