We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best "rubber" straps

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best "rubber" straps

Post by DogOnTime »

A little unsurprising but I've noticed the popularity of silicone and silicone-rubber hybrid straps over the last couple years.
In my quest to find the "ultimate" watch straps, I've probably spent hundreds on different varieties because of the lack of actual material composition from sellers.

One specific area that I found no one discussing was fluorine-treated polymer straps, which was a little surprising. For those who don't know, fluorine rubber, fluoro-rubber, fluoroelastomer, etc are rubber materials that have been chemically treated with fluorine to produce desirable properties; these include a combination of better tensile strength, flexibility, reduced reactivity to other chemicals, etc. Viton, seeing rising popularity in the watch industry for gaskets, is also a fluoroelastomer variant. Flurorubber has been reviewed to be significantly better in terms of performance over traditional vulcanized rubber.

Found that Apple also uses such in their stock Apple Watch straps. While I do not know the percentage and other chemical treatments each manufacturer claims, I ended finding something that I was happy with.

How about a polymer strap that is extremely pliable, doesn't attract dust, doesn't develop a "shine" and absorb smells like silicone? One difference that I noticed from traditional vulcanized rubber (sulfur-treated) straps is that these don't even really feel like rubber. Closer to polyurethane or resin but just feels... different. Found this on AliExpress some time this summer (from a different seller) and was pretty amazed. I hated silicone straps due to their eventuality in becoming "oily" due to the nature of reactivity.

If you guys are willing to risk $15 on a new material, I urge you to try them. They're available with quick-release springbars (you can remove them) and tail keepers by the buckle. These are IMO the "ultimate" rubber straps, it's such a shame that they only come in a single style.

I've only tried the blue and black in 20/22mm sizes, so I'm unsure if the others are identical in material.
AliExpress is notorious for lost-in-translation items so do order other colours/size variants at your own risk.
This style is the only one I can guarantee to be actual fluoroelastomer.

I will say one negativity, they are slightly less breathable than your typical rubber straps, likely due to the molecular structure difference.

househalfman
MoT Member

Re: Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best "rubber" straps

Post by househalfman »

I have the same strap that came with my Nodus Duality and I absolutely love it.

Here’s what a Biwi (sells for around $60) next to a Barton ($20) next to the Nodus rubber...

Looks like WatchGecko sells them for around $30.

Anyone have an AliX link?
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Re: Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best

Post by DogOnTime »

househalfman wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:41 pm I have the same strap that came with my Nodus Duality and I absolutely love it.
I'm glad there's someone else that appreciates it, it's just vastly (IMO) superior to vulcanized rubber if you're not a heavy sweater.

This one has a proper buckle tang that seems to fit. A little under $15.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000035 ... GOoXS&mp=1
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

Nsjong wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:04 am
househalfman wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:41 pm I have the same strap that came with my Nodus Duality and I absolutely love it.
I'm glad there's someone else that appreciates it, it's just vastly (IMO) superior to vulcanized rubber if you're not a heavy sweater.

This one has a proper buckle tang that seems to fit. A little under $15.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000035 ... GOoXS&mp=1
I will buy after deciding the color, probably a blue one for my Kontiki diver. Thanks for recommending.
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

Here’s what a Biwi (sells for around $60) next to a Barton ($20) next to the Nodus rubber...

Nice watch. What do you think about the quality of Nodus watches? Do you think they are a bit over priced as a micro brand? Looks like the finishing of their watches is superb. I am always tempted to try this brand.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

I've never tried a fluoroelastomer strap but I'm mighty impressed with my Hirsch Caoutchouc (i.e. natural) rubber strap for comfort, smell, etc.
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

I have a fluoroelastomer strap made by Studio22 on my concrete watch. Its really comfortable! Must say its superior to most rubber/silicon straps i own.

The down side is its cost.

Now this one that is recommended is $15! Wow! Thanks!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I'm not familiar with this material, but I am interested now.

Most silicone and/or rubber straps give me a rash, which is unfortunate because I really like them. I wonder if these would be different.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

ManOnTime wrote:I'm not familiar with this material, but I am interested now.

Most silicone and/or rubber straps give me a rash, which is unfortunate because I really like them. I wonder if these would be different.
Do you suppose its because its not breathable under the strap?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

quincas wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:37 am
ManOnTime wrote:I'm not familiar with this material, but I am interested now.

Do you suppose its because its not breathable under the strap?
Possibly, but I think the material has a role.

I had an Apple Watch for a short period, and the "rubber" strap on it didn't react in the way others do, which has me wondering if it's because it is fluoro.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

Latex is highly likely to be the culprit. There are many people allergic to latex.

I think that I’ve read that silicon is hypoallergenic. Maybe surgical grades only? That’s why they use them in implants?

In any case, these are worth a try! I hope they work for you.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

In my job we use fluoroelastomer for gaskets and seals in particularly demanding environments. Not often because they're crazy expensive.
I'll be bookmarking this thread for when I need some more straps.
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

Just a quick update. Got the blue strap from Aliexpress. The color is dark blue, darker than I expect. It is super soft, flexible and very smooth on the surface. A different feeling from an ordinary rubber strap. Not mounted on the watch yet, so based on first impression, I also highly recommend others to give a try for that little money.
yellowbear
MoT Member

Post by yellowbear »

Just got mine as well. No smell. Good thickness: 4mm at the lugs and 3mm at the buckle. Soft and smooth like silicone, yet doesn't pick up lint and dust. Nice sturdy buckle to boot. Great strap for <$10. Thanks [mention]Nsjong[/mention] for the rec!

I have a 7" wrist and I'm on the third inner hole of 8.

VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

yellowbear wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:38 pm Just got mine as well. No smell. Good thickness: 4mm at the lugs and 3mm at the buckle. Soft and smooth like silicone, yet doesn't pick up lint and dust. Nice sturdy buckle to boot. Great strap for <$10. Thanks @Nsjong for the rec!

I have a 7" wrist and I'm on the third inner hole of 8.

Wow, the red on the Oris is unexpectedly good looking. I found the hardware is solid too.