As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Choice between two different spring bar tweezers/pliers

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
MercifulFate
MoT Member

Post by MercifulFate »

Hey MOT!

I'm tired of scratching the lugs on my watches from strap/bracelet changes, no matter how careful I am. I do have a Bergeon spring bar tool which I use all the time, but metal bracelets are still a pain, and I think these pliers/ tweezers will do the job in avoiding any hassle with them. However, there are two competitive options. I'm ready to get one asap because I really enjoy changing the bracelets around, but am being patient to avoid any more damage (put a nasty mark I'm very unhappy with on one of the lugs of my otherwise perfect & new Seaforth, I know these things happen, which is fine, but not when they're so easy to avoid).

The two options are here:

Option 1:
https://www.esslinger.com/horofix-spring-bar-tweezers/

vs

Option 2:
https://www.esslinger.com/horofix-watch ... band-tool/

Both options come with extra tips, although Option 2 comes with two different sizes.

While option 1 is $5 cheaper, we have to look at the price of replaceable tips, just in case. For option 1, replaceable tips are $25, while option 2's are $17. This isn't enough to sway the decision if one of these tools appears significantly better than the other, but having no experience, I just don't know.

So, which would you choose? On the surface level, option 2 appears more heavy duty while option 1 appears a little more elegant to use and simple. I'm not quite sure.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Choice between two different spring bar tweezers/pliers

Post by MoT »

I have no experience with either, but based on looks alone I would go with Option 2. They look more robust.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Having also used neither, I like option 2 as well. It looks like something that somebody could actually make, which means that you could fix things if they go wrong. Option 1 failures would be catastrophic and unrepeatable. You could replace parts on option 2. It also looks like you can adjust the starting width of the tweezers, which is a nice plus.

Edit, it looks like you could theoretically make or source third party replacement tips for option 2, but not for option 1. Yes, option 1 is more simple and there is less to break, but there is no hope of fixing them if they do break. I will take the added complexity if it comes with the ability to fix them.
MercifulFate
MoT Member

Re: Choice between two different spring bar tweezers/pliers

Post by MercifulFate »

Yeah great points made. I'm leaning with that option as well, about to pull the trigger. I agree it looks more robust and great point about third party replacement tips. All Amazon reviews complain about the cheaper pliers having their tips break on first use however, so even if it's an option it may not work out. I don't plan on going through two sets of tips anyway, that'd be a red flag for these Horofix!