We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Oceanus on a NATO

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
Sussa
MoT Member

Oceanus on a NATO

Post by Sussa »

I have a confession. I don't really like the bracelet on the Casio Oceanus. But I love the watch, so after one failed attempt to custom fit a rubber strap, I decided to accept it. Until today. I snagged a couple cheap leather NATOs from the recent Cheapest NATO Straps sale - brown and blue single pass - and cut slits in them to thread the bracelet pin. Here are the results.
IMG_20200412_181234.jpg
IMG_20200412_181151.jpg
IMG_20200412_175850.jpg
IMG_20200412_175821.jpg
IMG_20200412_175811.jpg
As you can see, I forgot that the Oceanus actually has a 21mm lug width. Or maybe I overlooked that because these were low-risk prototypes. And the blue strap came in at 19mm anyway, so it looks even worse. And I didn't quite place the slits evenly from each edge. Even with all that overlooked, I'm not sure I like the look. It's growing on me.

Where I could use some help: The bracelet is normally set with a pin and collar, with the collars fitting into the bracelet. This is not an option with the NATO. The friction on the pin seems good enough, but I don't want to lose a pin. I considered 6mm spring bars, but don't have any on hand to test. Any suggestions?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Oceanus on a NATO

Post by Sporkboy »

It actually looks pretty good. You can get an assortment of friction pins if need be. Of course I have those and a spring bar assortment...at work. I should have brought my watch toolbox with me, but there was no way to know what was to come.

Anyway, I will think about this as I have a Swatch that may need a similar treatment.
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

An interesting new discovery this morning. I've never received a radio signal update on this watch at home. I'm in the Boston area and assumed I was just slightly outside of the signal range because it has received a signal when traveling closer to Colorado. Today it's reporting a successful signal overnight. Could the bracelet have been interfering with the reception? If so, it's definitely staying on the NATO.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sussa wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:42 am An interesting new discovery this morning. I've never received a radio signal update on this watch at home. I'm in the Boston area and assumed I was just slightly outside of the signal range because it has received a signal when traveling closer to Colorado. Today it's reporting a successful signal overnight. Could the bracelet have been interfering with the reception? If so, it's definitely staying on the NATO.
Could be. The metal in the bracelet just may be enough to attenuate the signal, especially in places outside the "normal" range of it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody