We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Leather Strap -> G-Shock Mod

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Leather Strap -> G-Shock Mod

Post by BostonCharlie »

As noted elsewhere, being able to change out the strap can make a watch more versatile, comfortable and cool. G-Shock, however, doesn't make this easy.

Today I took a blade to a 22mm leather Fossil strap I recently purchased on sale for $8 (still available here). The challenge was to trim the ends down to 16mm to fit my G-Shock G-2300F. With a little prep and good tools, I am pleased with the results.

I first slid out the quick release (QR) bars after making small slits from the QR hole to the edge.

I took the strap piece with the buckle. I cut a notch 3mm wide (22mm - 2 x 3mm = 16mm) by 4mm long from each corner to see how that worked. It fit very well. It turns out that the gap left by the QR bars is very handy when fooling with the spring bars. I then repeated this with the other strap piece.

After wearing it a little I realized that the squared-off notches I made didn't conform well with the G-Shock lug shape. This is actually due to my smaller wrists pulling the strap nearly 90 degrees to the case. I made one side of my notches angled by shaving a wedge off of one side. The result is that on the top side of the strap, the notches measure the original 3mm x 4mm. On the back side of the strap they are more like 3mm x 5mm. The resulting strap has more play and doesn't strain when I wear it.

Here are some photos:
strap_mod-2.jpg
strap_mod-3.jpg
strap_mod-4.jpg
strap_mod-8.jpg
strap_mod-9.jpg
(update: re-uploaded photos due to old corruption)
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Tue May 12, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Leather Strap -> G-Shock Mod

Post by yinzburgher »

Nice job. Looks great! Not too many G-shocks on leather out there. Also cool you were able to do it with a decent strap for $8, rather than something that costs as much as the watch. My last attempt to modify a rubber strap for a Seiko SNKK43 didn't go all that well but I may have to try again.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Great idea, but I’m voting on black or gray.

@robotazky
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Robotaz wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:13 pm Great idea, but I’m voting on black or gray.

@robotazky
And black hardware, too.

Update: I just checked, and my Fossil strap does use a spring bar to attach its buckle. So a change out will be easy.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Here is the Zlimsn leather strap modded to fit my dw-9600. Tip: start with a fresh blade. My used-once blade crushed the material and give me a ragged edge. A fresh blade made all the difference.
IMG_3161.JPG
IMG_3162.JPG
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Tue May 12, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

Nicely done. I often thought certain G-shocks would look good on leather, but never had the courage to risk mutilating a good strap. :oops:
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:57 pm Here is the Zlimsn leather strap modded to fit my dw-9600. Tip: start with a fresh blade. My used-once blade crushed the material and give me a ragged edge. A fresh blade made all the difference.
This looks great! You’ve got me inspited to try this on my ga-100...not sure what color strap to go with though. It’s “ice grey”...any suggestions?

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/26/V04xJU.jpg[/img]
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr