We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Spring bar discussion

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
cheddar
MoT Member

Re: Spring bar discussion

Post by cheddar »

nyonya wrote:I reached out to both Esslinger and Ofrei to confirm the exact steel that's used for their bars. Esslinger is 304L, Ofrei is 316L. So as soon as I figure out what else I need on the site I'm ordering the Ofrei bars unless there's a cheaper source of 316L bars!
I’m thinking about getting some myself, so if you’re in the US and have any interest in a group buy, give me a shout and I’d be happy to facilitate / mail out to folks.
nyonya
MoT Member

Post by nyonya »

cheddar wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 pm
nyonya wrote:I reached out to both Esslinger and Ofrei to confirm the exact steel that's used for their bars. Esslinger is 304L, Ofrei is 316L. So as soon as I figure out what else I need on the site I'm ordering the Ofrei bars unless there's a cheaper source of 316L bars!
I’m thinking about getting some myself, so if you’re in the US and have any interest in a group buy, give me a shout and I’d be happy to facilitate / mail out to folks.
I would be interested in that!
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

nyonya wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:52 am
Me too! How to pull it off though..
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

pdsf wrote:
nyonya wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:52 am
Me too! How to pull it off though..
I’m swamped right now, but I’ll try to shoot you and [mention]nyonya[/mention] DMs by the end of this week to see what we can work out.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

I was poking around ofrei.com this morning to try to work out details for a group buy...I’m not seeing an option for free shipping, just that you have to place a minimum $18 order to be able to order at all. Tried adding something over $30 to the cart and it still shows shipping charged. Anyone able to find free shipping?
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

cheddar wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:43 am I was poking around ofrei.com this morning to try to work out details for a group buy...I’m not seeing an option for free shipping, just that you have to place a minimum $18 order to be able to order at all. Tried adding something over $30 to the cart and it still shows shipping charged. Anyone able to find free shipping?
Hi there, sorry I have had a busy week so haven't followed up. I just took a wee look and I couldn't find any mention of free shipping either. I also tried add a whole lot of spring bars to the shopping basket and free shipping option didn't show up. I will poke around a bit more later today!
nyonya
MoT Member

Post by nyonya »

That's odd, one of the other members mentioned getting free shipping - I don't see anything about that either. I guess in a large enough order it wouldn't be a huge cost but doesn't make sense really to then ship some to other members, ends up adding a bunch of cost to this.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Looks like the cheapest shipping runs about $10? So if there were 3-4 folks ordering it could still save about half the shipping cost (I’d mail out in little bubble packets for ~$2 total cost). With the $18 min order + $10 shipping, it’s not really an option for anyone wanting just $5-$10 worth of spring bars.
nyonya
MoT Member

Post by nyonya »

cheddar wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:34 pm Looks like the cheapest shipping runs about $10? So if there were 3-4 folks ordering it could still save about half the shipping cost (I’d mail out in little bubble packets for ~$2 total cost). With the $18 min order + $10 shipping, it’s not really an option for anyone wanting just $5-$10 worth of spring bars.
You're right, that makes sense. Might be worth reaching out to Ofrei to see if free shipping is possible at any point?
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

So after poking around on ofrei.com for a while this weekend, I actually think I’m going to get a workbench mat that will easily take me over the $18 minimum order. So I’m thinking if U.S. folks would like to order some springsbars as an “add-on” to my order, I’d be happy to order and then ship them your way for a maximum shipping cost of $3, maybe less depending on my supply/postage cost. Just DM me if you want in over the next couple of days, and I’ll probably place the order mid-week.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

cheddar wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:24 pm So after poking around on ofrei.com for a while this weekend, I actually think I’m going to get a workbench mat that will easily take me over the $18 minimum order. So I’m thinking if U.S. folks would like to order some springsbars as an “add-on” to my order, I’d be happy to order and then ship them your way for a maximum shipping cost of $3, maybe less depending on my supply/postage cost. Just DM me if you want in over the next couple of days, and I’ll probably place the order mid-week.
That is very kind of you. I will take a look and PM you if I want anything. Thank you!!! :)
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Last call to get in on the springbar order! Probably will place it tomorrow.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Springbar group order came in today; will get them forwarded on yet this weekend. Very smooth process so far — may organize another one in the future for those who didn’t get in on this one. Also will get reports on the springbar quality, hopefully!

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

cheddar wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:28 pm Springbar group order came in today; will get them forwarded on yet this weekend. Very smooth process so far — may organize another one in the future for those who didn’t get in on this one. Also will get reports on the springbar quality, hopefully!

You're a gentleman and a scholar!
chubbledouble
MoT Member

Post by chubbledouble »

How did these end up turning out for you guys? worth it?
AKAs: Chubley on WUS, DukeofChubley on r/watchexchange