As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Wanna see something gross?

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
Elkins45
MoT Member

Wanna see something gross?

Post by Elkins45 »

I just returned from an epic 6 day/5 night backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. I put in a lot of miles and perspired a LOT. This is the watch I wore for the trip, a Casio Protrek with a nylon ArtStyle (Amazon brand) NATO converted to a zulu. I melted notches in the sides so the 22mm strap would fit the Casio lugs. It's a fairly floppy typical nylon strap, but this is what it looked like when I finally took it off at the end of the hike to have my first shower in 6 days. There was so much salt/dust hardened in the webbing it would stand on its own!

Because it's not removable without unscrewing the bars I just soaked the whole thing in a glass of water overnight. Now it's floppy again but it still stinks a bit so I guess it's time to break out the bleach or just throw it in the washer with my dirty socks.
ldfas - 1 (1).jpg
ldfas - 1 (1).jpg (23.65 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Wanna see something gross?

Post by Boourns »

Well you weren’t lying. That is gross. I might just retire that strap all together.

But it sounds like an epic trip!
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

Boourns wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:32 am Well you weren’t lying. That is gross. I might just retire that strap all together.

But it sounds like an epic trip!
The trip was amazing: once in a lifetime!

I hate to retire it because it’s customized to the watch. I would either have to find the original Casio plastic strap (which I didn’t really care for) or fire up the torch and melt another one. I’m going to remove it and send it thru the washer/dryer and see what happens.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

One word: rubber. :)
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

That is impressive! You put it to good use.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Give it a good soak and some hand washing liquid and it should come back. Might take a couple cycles to work all the salt out.

Glad that you had a good time on the adventure.