We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Snap off case back remover.

Discussion area for watch books, tools and other related items.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Snap off case back remover.

Post by PetWatch »

Most watch case backs have a small tab, indent or seam in order to get a grip with a case back removal tool, which is typically single blade, or a knife.

Like this or similar.

Sometimes the typical single blade case back opener is very difficult to use or just doesn't work for the job. In addition there are snap off case backs without any indent or seam of any type to allow for a grip.

That's where this handy tool comes to the rescue. You can find it on Ebay for around $27 under deluxe snap off case back remover.

You position the watch dial down, adjust the lever with the springs the correct height to grip the watch case back keeping the handle parallel with the blade at the grip point on the case back. Turn the green wheel to close the base against the lever blade, very tight, so it doesn't slip and scratch the case back, and press the lever handle down. It works.

Video
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... SP-pjACQ61

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Re: Snap off case back remover.

Post by MoT »

That's a handy device!

I normally just used a rounded tip Xacto knife with pretty good results, but I can see how this may be better.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

ManOnTime wrote:That's a handy device!

I normally just used a rounded tip Xacto knife with pretty good results, but I can see how this may be better.
I bought it cause I had to open one of those case backs lacking any means to get a grip. Nothing I tried worked and I was starting to scratch it. Searching for a solution found this device, and I was surprised how well it worked. But I'll stick to the usual opener unless it's a difficult case, easier and faster.

Not sure if this belongs in the tools thread, move if more appropriate.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

PetWatch wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:22 am
ManOnTime wrote:That's a handy device!

I bought it cause I had to open one of those case backs lacking any means to get a grip. Nothing I tried worked and I was starting to scratch it. Searching for a solution found this device, and I was surprised how well it worked. But I'll stick to the usual opener unless it's a difficult case, easier and faster.

Not sure if this belongs in the tools thread, move if more appropriate.

Seems like a tool to me.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Nice, thanks for sharing. Those pressure fit case backs can be tricky sometimes.

Another tool I’ve had great luck with is one of these little “pry” type openers. Pop casebacks right off that would never open with the typical case knife.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324118089519
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Mods, if it's a simple task please move this thread to the more appropriate Tools forum.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

PetWatch wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:09 pm Mods, if it's a simple task please move this thread to the more appropriate Tools forum.
The bill is in the mail. ;)

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

I’ve never had a problem getting them open, but I’ve ruined two cheap watches trying to get them back on.